Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Planet Skaro Audios Poll - Season 2 (Vote Now!)

No e-mailing this time, just reply to this thread with your chosen entries for each category!

We will still get some poor slave (Si) to trawl through the replies and tally up the winners at the end though. For this reason, please reply by March 1st 2008.

This is a short list, so not everything is included, but it was drawn up by looking at feedback posted after the episodes were put on-line, and recent suggestions.

This poll covers what is generally known as Season 2 of the audios, covering "Heart of the Haniad", "Heist!", "The Paradise Machine", "The Curse of Ratanapura", "Many Happy Returns", "Eye of the Daleks" and "Christmas Spirits".

Finally, feel free to vote even if you only heard some of the stories, and voting for stories you wrote/starred in etc. is perfectly allowed!

Go for it baby!

Favourite Audio Adventure

Please list top 3, 1= favourite, 2 = next favourite etc.

- Heart of the Haniad
    - Heist!
    - The Paradise Machine
    - The Curse of Ratanapura
    - Eye of the Daleks
    - Many Happy Returns
    - Christmas Spirits

Favourite Villain

- Uxan
    - Chi-Haniad
    - Byron Zunestra
    - Jann Cordelis
    - Leckard
    - Tor Garane
    - Michaels The Butler
    - Della Tif
    - The Master

Favourite Supporting Character

- Grexos
    - Jan Cordelis
    - Investigator Mills
    - The Baron of Boralis
    - Professor Thrace
    - Lady Rosalind Carrington
    - Barrington Carrington
    - Sir James Padbury
    - Lord Rusty Cheshire
    - Thomas Marwood
    - Choo Dar
    - Fnub Daigel
    - Daniel Everett
    - Spirit Of Love/Amanda

Favourite Monster

- The Haniad
    - Robot Security Droids
    - The Daleks
    - The Krotons

Favourite Bonus Adventure

- Tea With The Trods
    - Enjoy Your Shoes
    - Ezra's Knock
    - Unknown Variables

Favourite Individual Scene or Moment

- The Doctor gives Ed the cold shoulder for wanting to kill Uxan ("Heart of the Haniad")
    - The Doctor is revealed to be Jenn's dining partner ("Heist!")
    - Ed enters the TARDIS for the first time ("Heist!)
    - Nick's Clear Waters fantasy ("The Paradise Machine")
    - The Doctor meets Tor Garane ("The Paradise Machine")
    - Doctor, Nick and Rob escape from Mogador ("Curse of Ratanapura")
    - Rosalind's farewell to the Doctor ("The Curse of Ratanapura")
    - Rob and Choo's big romantic scene ("Eye of the Daleks")
    - Doctor, Nick and Rob repair the TARDIS ("Eye of the Daleks")
    - Fnub dies ("Eye of the Daleks")
    - The Daleks shock appearance ("Eye of the Daleks")
    - The Doctor and the Master face each other ("Christmas Spirits")

Best Cliffhanger

- Heart of the Haniad: Ed's Fiat Marvel plummets towards the surface of the asteroid
    - Heist!: "Anyone who tries to double cross me will end up…. VERY, VERY DEAD!"
    - The Paradise Machine: "Even a Time Lord's luck doesn't last forever!" (droids fire)
    - The Paradise Machine: Nick announces there are Daleks in the TARDIS!
    - The Curse of Ratanapura: There are gunshots from the landing...
    - Eye of the Daleks : Kroton appears as the Dalek Ships go into battle.

Best Line Of Dialogue

-"Oh My God you've squashed my flowers!" (Ed, "Heart of the Haniad")

-"My girlfriend would kill me if I got killed" (Ed, "Heart of the Haniad")

- "Mocha-Choca-Cappuccinos with caramel dips and fondant fancies all round then fellas!" (Ed, "Heist!")

- "No one would dare wear something so outré out of their house. You’re either a fool or a member of the fashion cognoscenti… or maybe just a dangerous dissident. Looking at you, it’s difficult to know which." (Zunestra, "Heist!")

- "The 21st century tailors, Burtons"/ "You certainly know your haberdashery Mr Zunestra" (Doctor/Zunestra, "Heist!")

- "Don't tell me the archectural configuration is on the blink again? Last time that happened we had to spend five days searching for the bathroom. That's not a time I want to live through again." ("Many Happy Returns")

- "Evil since the dawn of time. The Cake Destroyers of Minchal 17... Mick Hucknell... or something even worse..." ("Many Happy Returns")

"The Baron of Boralis does not approve of such things!"
    (The Baron, "Many Happy Returns"))

- "I nearly got trampled to death by thousands of pompous millionaires" ("The Paradise Machine")

- "You would be funny if you werent so pathetic. Ah well, I'll laugh anyway!" (Leckard, "The Paradise Machine")

- "Take the Doctor outside, see that he comes to some harm!" (Garane, "The Paradise Machine")

- "You've got some nerve. I don't want your gratitude, I don't want anything to do with you. Ever. You can keep the gemstone and the guilt of knowing how many lives it cost you. I can't believe how much you've changed. Goodbye Rosalind." (Doctor, "The Curse of Ratanapura")

- "You stink of fish!"/"I'm a fisherman!" (Rosalind/Marwood, "The Curse of Ratanapura")

- "It was the butler, in the drawing room - with the candlestick! Cluedo!" (Rob, "The Curse Of Ratanapura")

- "Some kind of madness - not uncommon among the gentry" ("The Curse of Ratanapura")

- "We need to get this out to do a broadband spectroscopic thingymajig" ("Unknown Variables")

Funniest Moment

- TARDIS comedy crash ("Heart of the Haniad")
    - "Why do we only ever visit space stations with gay names?" ("The Paradise Machine")
    - "The Clear Waters appreciation society..."/"Quiet you!" ("Heart of the Haniad")
    - "WWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTT TT?" (Ed, "Heist!")
    - Vera re-appears in the TARDIS ("Many Happy Returns")
    - The Doctor fondly recalls Ed: "We’d been shopping for a new trellis for the TARDIS gardens, when we bumped into the Master.Well, that was until Ed cleverly tripped him up with a strategically placed rake.") ("The Paradise Machine")
    - "The Baron was appalled!" ("The Paradise Machine")
    - "Hands off! This jacket is a Guuuuucci"/"Yeah from a world where Gucci own Primark!" ("The Paradise Machine")
    - The Doctor, Nick and Rob argue about daytime TV personalities ("Pack it in you two! It doesn’t matter! Besides, everyone knows that Lorraine Kelly was the true Queen of eighties daytime television.", "The Paradise Machine"))
    - The Doctor vs Michaels the Butler ("The other way sir."/"'Oo, of course", "The Curse Of Ratanapura")
    - The Doctor sings ("You've got to pick a pocket or twoooooo!", "Christmas Spirits")

Favourite Type Of CD Bonus Feature

- Minisodes (e.g dramatised short episodes like "Enjoy Your Shoes")
    - Short Stories (e.g "Ezra's Knock")
    - Making Of Documentaries
    - Out-takes
    - Trailers

Best CD Cover

- Heart of the Haniad
    - Heist!
    - The Paradise Machine
    - Eye of the Daleks
    - Many Happy Returns
    - Christmas Spirits

And finally...

What (or who) would you like to see more of in future Planet Skaro Audios? (please explain!)

What did you generally enjoy most this year?

What did you enjoy least?

Would you favour the return of Making Of documentaries to the CD's, more minisodes, more narrated short stories, or do you the CD extra's not really bother you?

Happy voting!

Si.

1 The Paradise Machine
    2 Heist!
    3 The Curse of Ratanapura

Favourite Villain
    1 Leckard
    2 Tor Garane
    3 Byron Zunestra

1 Grexos
    2 Jan Cordelis
    3 The Baron of Boralis

Favourite Monster
    1 The Daleks
    2 The Haniad
    3 Robot Security Droids

Unknown Variables

1 The Doctor and the Master face each other ("Christmas Spirits")
    2 Rosalind's farewell to the Doctor ("The Curse of Ratanapura")
    3 Ed enters the TARDIS for the first time ("Heist!)

Best Cliffhanger
    1 The Curse of Ratanapura: There are gunshots from the landing...
    2 Heist!: "Anyone who tries to double cross me will end up…. VERY, VERY DEAD!"
    3 The Paradise Machine: Nick announces there are Daleks in the TARDIS!

Best Line Of Dialogue
    1 1 "Take the Doctor outside, see that he comes to some harm!" (Garane, "The Paradise Machine")
    2 "You stink of fish!"/"I'm a fisherman!" (Rosalind/Marwood, "The Curse of Ratanapura")
    3 "My girlfriend would kill me if I got killed" (Ed, "Heart of the Haniad")

Funniest Moment
    1 "Hands off! This jacket is a Guuuuucci"/"Yeah from a world where Gucci own Primark!" ("The Paradise Machine")
    2 "WWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTT T T?" (Ed, "Heist!")
    3 The Doctor vs Michaels the Butler ("The other way sir."/"'Oo, of course", "The Curse Of Ratanapura")

1 Minisodes (e.g dramatised short episodes like "Enjoy Your Shoes")
    2 Making Of Documentaries
    3 Out-takes

Best CD Cover
    1 Heist!
    2 The Curse of Ratanapura
    3 Christmas Spirits

What (or who) would you like to see more of in future Planet Skaro Audios? (please explain!)
    New (original) monsters

It’s difficult to answer both of these questions! I think the PS Audios entity as a whole generally gets progressively better as time passes, though some stories are better than others.

Would you favour the return of Making Of documentaries to the CD's, more minisodes, more narrated short stories, or do you the CD extra's not really bother you?
    I like them all so I can’t choose!
    Last edited by Antony Cox; 28th Jan 2009 at 2:15 PM.

Pip Madeley Guest

1 The Paradise Machine
    2 Christmas Spirits
    3 The Curse of Ratanapura

Favourite Villain
    1 Tor Garane
    2 The Master
    3 Jann Cordelis

1 Investigator Mills
    2 Barrington Carrington
    3 Grexos

Favourite Monster
    1 The Daleks
    2 Robot Security Droids
    3 The Krotons

1 Tea With The Trods
    2 Enjoy Your Shoes
    3 Ezra's Knock

1 The Doctor meets Tor Garane ("The Paradise Machine")
    2 The Doctor and the Master face each other ("Christmas Spirits")
    3 Rosalind's farewell to the Doctor ("The Curse of Ratanapura")

Best Cliffhanger
    1 The Paradise Machine: "Even a Time Lord's luck doesn't last forever!" (droids fire)
    2 Heist!: "Anyone who tries to double cross me will end up…. VERY, VERY DEAD!"
    3 The Curse of Ratanapura: There are gunshots from the landing...

Best Line Of Dialogue
    1 "Take the Doctor outside, see that he comes to some harm!" (Garane, "The Paradise Machine")
    2 "The Baron of Boralis does not approve of such things!" (The Baron, "Many Happy Returns"))
    3 "It was the butler, in the drawing room - with the candlestick! Cluedo!" (Rob, "The Curse Of Ratanapura")

Funniest Moment
    1 The Doctor fondly recalls Ed: "We’d been shopping for a new trellis for the TARDIS gardens, when we bumped into the Master.Well, that was until Ed cleverly tripped him up with a strategically placed rake.") ("The Paradise Machine")
    2 - The Doctor, Nick and Rob argue about daytime TV personalities ("Pack it in you two! It doesn’t matter! Besides, everyone knows that Lorraine Kelly was the true Queen of eighties daytime television.", "Ratanapura"))
    3 - "Why do we only ever visit space stations with gay names?" ("The Paradise Machine")

1 Making Of Documentaries
    2 Minisodes (e.g dramatised short episodes like "Enjoy Your Shoes")
    3 Out-takes

Best CD Cover
    Not voting for obvious reasons!

And finally...

What (or who) would you like to see more of in future Planet Skaro Audios?

There's a few things I'd like to see in future and I know some of them are already in hand (more Baron, hurrah!) but I'd like to see more original monsters; it was nice to have the Daleks and the Master back but for me PS Audios are all about originality and creations such as Tor Garane, the Haniad and Byron Zunestra. I'd also like another four-part adventure at some point, and to see Nick and Rob finally meet Ed.

The variety of stories was a big plus, with stories set in the far future (The Paradise Machine, Heart of the Haniad etc) and the past (Christmas Spirits, The Curse of Ratanapura). I was also pleased to see the writing debuts of Martin, the two Pauls and myself, and I'm indebted to Si Hunt for his encouragement and enthusiasm whilst writing our story.

It can't be ignored that we did experience some technical difficulties during the recordings last year and that did cause some unnecessary headaches. I think this year we're all ready to go and have learnt from our past mistakes - the fact that this is the fourth year that the PS Audios have been in production says it all about how much we all enjoy making & hearing them. It brings us closer together as a forum, and as friends - hurrah!

I think the CD extras are an important part of the PS Audios experience and I must confess I do miss the documentaries; I don't think they would work on every single release, but I hope that we get a couple this year (I'd offer to produce one).

Wayne Guest

1 Eye of the Daleks
    2 Heist!
    3 Third place is very tough between Ratanapura & Paradise Machine & Christmas Spirits But i'm going for The Paradise Machine.

Favourite Villain
    1 Jann Cordelis
    2 Leckard
    3 The Master

1 Investigator Mills
    2 Grexos
    3 Mick Ridgeway (I don't care if he's not on the shortlist!)

Favourite Monster
    1 The Daleks
    2 The Krotons
    3 The Haniad

Enjoy Your Shoes

1 The Daleks shock appearance ("Eye of the Daleks")
    2 Rosalind's farewell to the Doctor ("The Curse of Ratanapura")
    3 The Doctor and the Master face each other ("Christmas Spirits")

Best Cliffhanger
    1 Eye of the Daleks : Kroton appears as the Dalek Ships go into battle.
    2 The Paradise Machine: Nick announces there are Daleks in the TARDIS!
    3 Heist!: "Anyone who tries to double cross me will end up…. VERY, VERY DEAD!"

Best Line Of Dialogue
    1 "I nearly got trampled to death by thousands of pompous millionaires" ("The Paradise Machine")
    2 "You would be funny if you werent so pathetic. Ah well, I'll laugh anyway!" (Leckard, "The Paradise Machine")
    3 "You've got some nerve. I don't want your gratitude, I don't want anything to do with you. Ever. You can keep the gemstone and the guilt of knowing how many lives it cost you. I can't believe how much you've changed. Goodbye Rosalind." (Doctor, "The Curse of Ratanapura")

Funniest Moment
    1 "The Clear Waters appreciation society..."/"Quiet you!" ("Heart of the Haniad")
    2 Vera re-appears in the TARDIS ("Many Happy Returns")
    3 "WWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTT T T?" (Ed, "Heist!")

1 Making Of Documentaries
    2 Minisodes (e.g dramatised short episodes like "Enjoy Your Shoes")
    3 Out-takes

Best CD Cover
    1 Eye of the Daleks
    2 The Curse of Ratanapura
    3 Heist!

Edward Bradley. He's my fave companion.
    And keep giving different parts to Kathy. I think she's genuinely talented. I'd like to see somebody write something that would push her a bit, & stretch her abilities. Something really tragic or emotional maybe.
    I do genuinely think that Mr Cox is very good at different parts as well. As is Andrew. And well the list goes on! Just keep up the bloody good work everyone!

The overall quality of both the production values & the performances, which seemed to take a step up from the previous season. We had some superb guest villians which made that category particularly difficult to answer. Paul's Doctor really came into his own this season for me, & the combination of sound design & music was both varied & of a consistently high standard. BF watchout!

Occasional bits of corny humour, but these things are very subjective!

I like the 'Making ofs' & the mini-sodes best, so personally favour the continued use of both these.
    Last edited by Wayne; 28th Jan 2009 at 3:23 PM.

Mick Ridgeway (I don't care if he's not on the shortlist!)
    Hurrah!

Si.

A very good shortlist for your four funniest moments, Wayne...

Wayne Guest

oops - The perils of copy & paste. Prepare for an edit!

BTW a big for your new sig!

- Heist!
    - Christmas Spirits
    - Heart of the Haniad

Sorry for voting for something I wrote to, but I adore Heist! It's got great performances from the whole cast and I'm dead proud of it.

Favourite Villain

- The Master
    - Byron Zunestra
    - Uxan

Jason was just great as The Master. Really evil sounding.

- Choo Dar
    - Lord Rusty Cheshire
    - Investigator Mills

Good old Ali. She played Rob's love interest really well. Her tragic end was really touching.

Favourite Monster

- The Daleks
    - The Haniad
    - The Krotons

Got to be the Daleks, especially as you can tell Wayne was having a whale of a time doing the voices!

- Enjoy Your Shoes

- Ed enters the TARDIS for the first time ("Heist!)
    - The Doctor gives Ed the cold shoulder for wanting to kill Uxan ("Heart of the Haniad")

I love Ed's first TARDIS scene- it was a joy to wrote and a real pleasure to hear Paul and Martin act it out. One of my favourite PS moments!

Best Cliffhanger

- Eye of the Daleks : Kroton appears as the Dalek Ships go into battle
    - The Paradise Machine: "Even a Time Lord's luck doesn't last forever!" (droids fire)
    - Heart of the Haniad: Ed's Fiat Marvel plummets towards the surface of the asteroid

I don't think the cliffhangers have been so good this season, but I did like Martin's a lot.

Best Line Of Dialogue

-"My girlfriend would kill me if I got killed" (Ed, "Heart of the Haniad")
    - "Mocha-Choca-Cappuccinos with caramel dips and fondant fancies all round then fellas!" (Ed, "Heist!")
    - "The 21st century tailors, Burtons"/ "You certainly know your haberdashery Mr Zunestra" (Doctor/Zunestra, "Heist!")

Good old Ed! Martin always plays the lines very well and these are two big favourites, as is Mike and Paul bantering in Heist!

Funniest Moment

- The Doctor fondly recalls Ed: "We’d been shopping for a new trellis for the TARDIS gardens, when we bumped into the Master.Well, that was until Ed cleverly tripped him up with a strategically placed rake.") ("The Paradise Machine")
    - "The Clear Waters appreciation society..."/"Quiet you!" ("Heart of the Haniad")
    - "WWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTT T T?" (Ed, "Heist!")

The fond recollection of Ed is very funny!

- Short Stories (e.g "Ezra's Knock")
    - Out-takes

Best CD Cover

- Heist!
    - Eye of the Daleks

Heist! because Pip did exactly what I asked for and did it with style!

And finally...

What (or who) would you like to see more of in future Planet Skaro Audios?

More Ed stories! Another Master story!

I enjoyed the two parter format even if I didn't like writing to that length very much. The variety of writers and settings was a bonus too.

There were occasionl moments of humour that didn't hit the mark. I don't like the crudeness that sometimes appears very much.

A variety please!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

1. Heist!
    2. Eye of the Daleks
    3. The Curse of Ratanapura

Christmas Spirits was very nearly on there, it was a very hard choice!

Favourite Villain

1. Byron Zunestra
    2. Leckard
    3. The Master

Very hard to choose the villains this year, as everyone was so good! But for sheer scaryness - and probably because I was there watching Mike record all the lines - Zunestra is my favourite. Leckard comes a very close second, and Alex gave a brilliant show stealing performance. Jason's Master was also excellent, but I wanted to put our original villains first.

- Lady Rosalind Carrington
    - Spirit Of Love/Amanda
    - The Baron of Boralis

I'm voting for the female charcters this year! Ali and Emma were great, and really brought those character to life, it was nice to hear new voices too. The Baron is a personal favourite of mine, so I voted for him as well, I grin every time I hear Pip speak the lines.

Favourite Monster

- The Daleks
    - The Haniad
    - The Krotons

Got to be Wayne's Dalek voices for this one, he was great, loved the way the Supreme sounded. His performance is 'Enjoy your shoes' was brilliant as well. Pip's Haniad is next, which reminded me of a sinister Face of Boe. I've never actually seen 'The Krotons', but I thought they sounded very good here.

- Enjoy Your Shoes

- Rosalind's farewell to the Doctor ("The Curse of Ratanapura")
    - Doctor, Nick and Rob escape from Mogador ("Curse of Ratanapura")

Best Cliffhanger

- The Paradise Machine: Nick announces there are Daleks in the TARDIS!
    - The Curse of Ratanapura: There are gunshots from the landing...
    - Eye of the Daleks : Kroton appears as the Dalek Ships go into battle.

Best Line Of Dialogue

- "No one would dare wear something so outré out of their house. You’re either a fool or a member of the fashion cognoscenti… or maybe just a dangerous dissident. Looking at you, it’s difficult to know which." (Zunestra, "Heist!")
    - "You've got some nerve. I don't want your gratitude, I don't want anything to do with you. Ever. You can keep the gemstone and the guilt of knowing how many lives it cost you. I can't believe how much you've changed. Goodbye Rosalind." (Doctor, "The Curse of Ratanapura")
    - "You stink of fish!"/"I'm a fisherman!" (Rosalind/Marwood, "The Curse of Ratanapura")

Funniest Moment

- The Doctor vs Michaels the Butler ("The other way sir."/"'Oo, of course", "The Curse Of Ratanapura")

- Making Of Documentaries
    - Out-Takes

Best CD Cover

- Eye of the Daleks
    - Heist!

And finally...

Jason's Master! I think a return appearance is in order.
    A story with Rosalind as the Doctor's companion.
    Some 'origin' type stories, maybe a story set just the Doctor has regenerated into Paul's version, or showing how he met Rob, Nick or Rosalind.

The range of stories: every story felt different, with it's own unique setting and style. Also, the continuity is building up nicely, with new characters being introduced and others making comebacks.

I don't really know, I can't think of anything!

Would you favour the return of Making Of documentaries to the CD's, more minisodes, more narrated short stories, or do the CD extra's not really bother you?

I would favour the return of the documentaries, I've missed them for the last few stories. Not that I object to the other special features, I enjoy them all, but I would have enjoyed hearing about how the last three stories in this season were made.

Interesting Martin doesn't count "The Paradise Machine" in his top 3 stories!

I would have enjoyed hearing about how the last three stories in this season were made.
    No you wouldn't! There were drama's galore!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Interesting Martin doesn't count "The Paradise Machine" in his top 3 stories!
    Si.
    I didn't really want to vote for my own story.

Pip Madeley Guest

No you wouldn't! There were drama's galore!
    The ghost of Paul Joyce was sitting on all our shoulders.

The world is not yet ready to hear the production traumas of these tales.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

We could have had the real Paul Joyce sitting on our shoulders, he's still alive!!! ing
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

1.Heist!
    2.Eye of the Daleks
    3.The Paradise Machine

Favourite Villain
    1.Byron Zunestra
    2.Leckard
    3.Tor Garane

1.Investigator Mills
    2.The Baron of Boralis
    3.Professor Thrace

Favourite Monster
    1.The Daleks of course!!! And Wayne's voices were just brilliant, every bit as good as the Briggster!
    2.The Krotons
    3.The Haniad

I haven't listened to any of them yet...

1.The Doctor and the Master face each other ("Christmas Spirits")
    2.The Doctor is revealed to be Jenn's dining partner ("Heist!")
    3.Ed enters the TARDIS for the first time ("Heist!)

Best Cliffhanger
    1.Eye of the Daleks : Kroton appears as the Dalek Ships go into battle.
    2.The Curse of Ratanapura: There are gunshots from the landing...
    3.The Paradise Machine: "Even a Time Lord's luck doesn't last forever!" (droids fire)

Best Line Of Dialogue
    1."Mocha-Choca-Cappuccinos with caramel dips and fondant fancies all round then fellas!" (Ed, "Heist!") It's a lovely line, but what really makes it is the superb Martin Penny.
    2."Don't tell me the archectural configuration is on the blink again? Last time that happened we had to spend five days searching for the bathroom. That's not a time I want to live through again." ("Many Happy Returns")
    3."The 21st century tailors, Burtons"/ "You certainly know your haberdashery Mr Zunestra" (Doctor/Zunestra, "Heist!")

Funniest Moment
    1."Hands off! This jacket is a Guuuuucci"/"Yeah from a world where Gucci own Primark!" ("The Paradise Machine")
    2.The Doctor fondly recalls Ed: "We’d been shopping for a new trellis for the TARDIS gardens, when we bumped into the Master.Well, that was until Ed cleverly tripped him up with a strategically placed rake.") ("The Paradise Machine")
    3."Why do we only ever visit space stations with gay names?" ("The Paradise Machine")

Unusually, I have no opinion, although anything bonus is, erm, a bonus!!

Best CD Cover
    1.Heist!
    2.Eye of the Daleks
    3.The Paradise Machine

And finally...

More of the same please!!! It seems wrong to single anybody out, although obviously having said that I'm now going to... I was particularly pleased to hear some big contributions from Alex this year, as he has such a wonderfully rich & distinctive voice. And also, we must, must, must hear more from Ed Bradley!!

The variety between stories - and the excitement of having a new episode every Saturday.

A small thing perhaps, but the ending to The Paradise Machine, and then its perfunctory 'kidding!' resolution at the start of Ratanapura, fell rather flat for me.

Well, despite having not listened to all of them, and not really having much of an opinion above... It would be a shame not to have some extras. But, as with the stories, variety if probably best. It would be a shame to rigidly insist on a 'Making of...' every time, as it runs the risk of it being a chore, and of them becoming a bit samey. I will, will, will get round to listening to them, and certainly like the idea of, the short stories and/or minisodes.

A small thing perhaps, but the ending to The Paradise Machine, and then its perfunctory 'kidding!' resolution at the start of Ratanapura, fell rather flat for me.
    That's fair enough. I think it was justified by the fact that the Daleks DID appear in the very next story, so it wasn't a cheat, we just got to introduce them twice.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

We added it to provide some continuity and also try to wrong-foot the listener, and I loved the pay-off in 'Eye' when the Doctor was refusing to believe Nick

I also think (and I'm only carping on about it because I debated to myself so much if we should do it and how it should work) that an important point is that we didn't just have Nick go "not really!" and them all carry on... the gag (and I like the way that, like normal people, Nick thinks up a joke that isn't really funny then can't wriggle out of it) spirals out of control, ends up in disaster, and then inspires the Doctor to leave his companions out of his confidence for the whole of the next story.

The thing is, I think the cliffhanger divorced from the resolution is a great one. At that point, it's great and exciting because the Daleks are going to appear. At the start of the next story, what do you do? If they appear or not, you've still got the value out of the cliffhanger and anticipation, so why not do something else entirely? AND you still get Daleks three episodes later. So everyone's a winner really. That's how I see it anyway.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Well put Si.

the gag (and I like the way that, like normal people, Nick thinks up a joke that isn't really funny then can't wriggle out of it) spirals out of control, ends up in disaster, and then inspires the Doctor to leave his companions out of his confidence for the whole of the next story.
    Indeed, the story wouldn't have worked if Nick and Rob knew about the Doctor and Rosalind's plan, we needed Nick and Rob to act as detectives, otherwise there'd have been no mystery. I thought it all worked quite nicely but there we go, horses for courses

Wayne Guest

Can i just thank everyone for their comments about the Dalek voices.
    It's blatantly obvious how much the Daleks still fascinate me, & getting a chance to do the voices for a story really was a small dream come true that goes back to when i was about 10yrs old!
    I never envisaged that i'd ever get a chance to do such a thing, (even when i bought that Ring Modulator) for anything other than my own amusement, so thanks especially to Paul & Si for taking the trouble to write a story for them.

I personally would also support what Martin & Pip say about the 'Making of' features. The little mini-sodes & stories have been great, but learning about the background of the stories & their conception, production, cast & crew insights etc etc... enhance the whole experience for me, just as much as they do on the real dvds.
    Of course, i'd love to have the cake & eat it, by having everything, but i too have missed the docus on the last few releases.
    Last edited by Wayne; 29th Jan 2009 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post

- "Some kind of madness - not uncommon among the gentry" ("The Curse of Ratanapura")

Si.
    I'll vote later, at a reasonable hour!!!

However, just wanted to clarify something. The line above; isn't that actually from Christmas Spirits? (or was there a similar line in 'Curse')?

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lethbridge-Stewart View Post

However, just wanted to clarify something. The line above; isn't that actually from Christmas Spirits?
    That's what i thought, but i put it down to the other sort of christmas spirits i'd consumed before i listened to it!

Just going back to my Paradise/Ranatpura Dalek comment, and I hope I haven't annoyed Si & Pip by it, but I think perhaps my 'problem' with it was that it felt slightly tacked on at the end of Paradise Machine, and I do remember at the time saying it was a shame we didn't actually get to 'see' the Daleks as that would have been more dramatic. Of course, the reason we don't is that they're not there, but it felt a bit flat as a 'OMG the Daleks are here!' type cliffhanger. And then, of course, there was a little bit of an anticlimax when it turns out the Daleks aren't here at all in the next story.

It wasn't meant as any major criticism, I hasten to ask, but for me it just fell a bit flat - akin to all the hype about the Doctor's daughter, which then fell completely flat by being just some daughter knocked up by a machine in the pre-credits sequence. Or even, the non-regeneration between Stolen Earth & Journey's End.
    Last edited by Andrew Curnow; 29th Jan 2009 at 7:36 AM.

However, just wanted to clarify something. The line above; isn't that actually from Christmas Spirits? (or was there a similar line in 'Curse')?
    You're absolutely right of course! Apologies to Paul Clement, the actual author of that line!

Si.