Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default K9 Spin-Off Getting A 2nd Series Against All Reason

OMG! Finally!

Production on spin-off series K9 is well under way in Brisbane, with the fourth block of filming due to complete at the end of next week.

Paul Tams, who along with Bob Baker is the show's co-creator and co-associate producer, told The Doctor Who News Page that there would be 13 blocks, each comprising two half-hour episodes, with principal photography set to end on May 7.

Taking the opportunity to put the record straight on various matters regarding the show, he confirmed that the series would be known purely as K9, adding: "Bob and I are pleased with the interest shown and hope K9 will be viewed as a series that Who fans old and new will all find something enjoyable from."

And as a teaser, he said: "I've made sure that hidden in most episodes fans will spot some nod to the past - either a mention or a visual treat."

Regarding the electronic dog itself, he said: "K9 will be seen on screen as both an animatronic prop and in CGI form. The latest design I have done that is being used in the show is sleek and different from any previous images seen on the net, etc. K9 will, however, be recognisable to fans new and old as the K9. And to clear up the identity of which mark K9 this is, to quote Doctor Who itself he is the original you might say!"

Most information - including cast and characters - was being kept under wraps but Tams added: "The show will feature several new races of monsters created by Bob and myself, alongside the Jixen Warriors as reported previously.

"We first planned and created the show back in 1998, so it has taken 11 years to get to the production stage. It has been a long and rocky road and we are working with some very talented people here: actors, artists, sculptors, costume-makers. The schedule is very hectic and full on.

"I have to tip my hat - if I wore one - to the creative teams in the '60s who worked under such pressure to turn monsters, costumes and sets around at such a fast pace on Doctor Who. I now know how they must have felt - exhausted!"

A new logo has been created, which will be revealed in due course, and Tams said that the show would be airing later this year, with Australian broadcaster Network Ten currently lined up to carry it.

Better late than dead on time.

It's really hard to care though.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    Better late than dead on time.

It's really hard to care though.
    Watch out Simon; that Si Hart will be hunting you down for that comment!!!
    I must admit; I didn't realise that they were seriously considering this. I haven't even got round to watching Torchwood 2 or the Sarah Jane Adventures yet......too many spin-offs and so very little time!!!

Even I am not very excited about this show, and that's saying something.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Even I am not very excited about this show, and that's saying something.

Si xx
    Really?

Now that does surprise me. Is the novelty of KP wearing a bit thin. Or is he becoming too famous these days?
    Crap comparison coming up........My sister was mad about Boyzone (the first time around). She really like them in their early days when Take That were the big band of the time. When Take That split, Boyzone kind of move up the rankings (or so I'm told) and my sister went off them - she didn't like as much once they became that little bit more well known.
    Could there fears of a similar thing happening with K9 here?

Or am I talking rubbish (again) and you just don't fancy the idea of this series?

I just find it so difficult to get excited about it, Andrew. I suppose because it was first mooted over 10 years ago and has been bouncing in and out of production ever since it's difficult to believe it's actually going to happen. If you add to that the fact they've changed the design and it seems unlikely that John Leeson is going to be doing the voice of K9, I think that all the things I love about the character aren't going to be there.

Don't get me wrong, I think K9 is great still. I've loved his appearances in the new DW and the SJAs (even though he's mostly been underused) but really I'd prefer it if he was back fulltime in the SJAs (they could make a new, super model that works well I'm sure) rather than in this series.

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lethbridge-Stewart View Post
    when Take That were the big band of the time.
    Oh, yes - the trumpet section was especially good...

Wayne Guest

I'd like to congratulate Pip for managing not to use the 'S' word.
    I can tell it was close, but he did it. Well done mate. You're getting there.

On the other hand this is being written by Bob Baker, who as well as creating K-9 with Dave Martin also did the scripts for the wonderful Wallace And Gromit films.

So there might be a few good jokes.

"I've made sure that hidden in most episodes fans will spot some nod to the past - either a mention or a visual treat."
    Will these include an enormous pile of contracts, as refernce to the show's long gestation? Or the colour brown to remind us of 'K-9 & Company', surely the brownest television show ever made.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'm just worried about how this can be canonically incorporated into the existing Whoniverse.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

I think we're all worried about that.

It's going to be shit, isn't it?

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Williams View Post
    It's going to be shit, isn't it?

Ant x
    Isn't that what you said about Red Dwarf? Such a pessimist, young Cledwyn!

Pessimistic, but not yet proved wrong though!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    I think we're all worried about that.
    Maybe Mr Smith and K9 got into an argument, so Mr Smith sold K9 on Ebay to some australian guy to get revenge.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

K9 must have got himself a new agent recently. Not only is he popping up in SJS, but his own show is genuinely happening. New logo revealed"

No, that photo is clearly the logo for the new kid's show 'K-g'. Whatever that is.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Isn't that just the original Blakes 7 logo?

Si.

And here is the dog himself:

Hmm.

Si xx

It's not as awful as I remember from the design sketches, it just seems like an unneccesary redesign. What was wrong with the original?

Is he in Aunt Lavinia's front room in Morton Harewood?

Si.

Its far too cutesy and cartoony for my liking. They should have stuck to the original design but just updated it slightly.
    And what is going on with those ears!

It has a collar in the shape of a bone you see. Because dogs like bones... and K9's a robot dog... how DO they come up with these things?

Si.

The ear makes it look like he's balancing a stack of plastic cartons on his head.

I'm sure it'll be nice & lovely and all but...dear God, what is going on with those ears!?

It's the Special Weapons K9!