Default 3rd February 1959 the day the music died

50 years ago a small plane took off from an airfield in Iowa at around 12:55 A.M., a few minutes later the plane crashed killing all those on board. The wreckage was discovered several hours later . Among the dead were rock n roll ledgends Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper Holly's death would later be the inspiration for Don McLean's "American Pie" just over a decade later.

I don't think you can understate the huge impact Buddy Holly had on the 1950's and the influence he would have on all those who were to follow him in the 50's and early 60's. Of course he will always remain a might of been had he lived would he have been bigger then Elvis and The Beatles that's some thing we will never know.

It wasn't really the day the music died though, on account of the fact that there's been music going on ever since.

Si.

Cynical youth!!

I have to admit, I've never been a huge Buddy Holly fan (ironically perhaps, I'm more a fan of the song American Pie than any of Holly's actual hits) but did find this an interesting read on the BBC site:

Peggy Sue.

I didn't realise he was only 22 when he died - that means that he'd still be not really all that old even now, if he'd survived. Certainly, he could have still been rocking.

If Henry the Eighth was still alive today, he'd be the oldest man ever to have lived.

Si.

For the typical 1950s youth it certainly was "The day the music died". The country, the world even, were still listening to the likes of Rosemary Clooney, Dickie Valentine, Eddie Fisher, Michael Holliday etc. crooning popular ballads.
    When Holly, The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens came around the music scene was rapidly changing, and the youth of the day changed with it.
    If it hadn't have been for the likes of Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, Bill Haley et al, I don't think we'd be listening to the stuff that's available now, rock would have evolved differently without these influential artists, and don't forget, their influence was far reaching, and I believe still affects music today.
    Imagine the affect today if a plane full of today's bands, Oasis, Franz Ferdinand, Kings of Leon etc. were all killed. Would today's music lovers claim this is "the day the music died"? After all, their music is as valid and influential as any band that made music fifty years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    It wasn't really the day the music died though, on account of the fact that there's been music going on ever since.

Si.
    But Buddy Holly's music died though! Which is what Larry meant. And Don McClean.

But you already knew that.

I've always liked Buddy and the Crickets; some of it sounds twee and basic compared to later recorded works, but therin is it's appeal I guess. "Everyday" is my favourite.