View Poll Results: Which is your favourite?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Key to Time

3 25.00%
  • The Doctor Who File

5 41.67%
  • The Programme Guides (1981)

0 0%
  • The Programme Guide (1989)

4 33.33%

Default The Reference Book Wars: Quarter Final pt 1

Yes, the quater finals are finally here and we have the winners and runners up of rounds 1 and 2 to vote for this week:

Vote now!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Wayne Guest

The Programme Guide is the only one i've got, but i'm voting for the Dr Who File for nostalgia reasons. I used to have that one back in the day. Dunno what happened it to it actually......

I've gone for the Programme Guide 1989.

Are you listening to me? Because if you're not I can make you. As of this moment there is no such thing as free will on Planet Skaro, because I have voted for the Key to Time!

(cue rolling eyes)

Hark at her...!

The '89 Programme Guide. The '81 edition was dispensible until the upgrade came out; and while the other two were interesting enough in their own way...

I went for the Key to Time, solely for the reason that it was brave enough to publish shedloads of fan artwork rather than rehash the same old pictures that we'd seen dozens of times before!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

I went for The Doctor Who File, there's a good (if random) mix of articles in there. And a fab piece from Robert Holmes.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Well, i can easily discount the File as it's the only one I haven't got! It's tricky to vote between two editions of the same book, so Key to Time it is!

Besides which, it was a special purchase at the time - £15 or so 25 years back probably being the equivalent of about £60 now! I can't remember how I afforded it - it was hardback too!

I decided on The Doctor Who File in the end, mainly because the individual chapters are really well written and include a few people you don't often hear much from. I really liked The Key to Time back in 1984 too and remember asking and asking the librarian at my local library to order it in for me, which she did (her name was Muriel- that's a good librarian name and tells you all you need to know about her). First of Alister Pearson's art appears in it you know... anyway, that wasn't enough for me to vote for it.

The Programme Guide in 1989 was very good (great cover) but it's all a bit basic. Cast, Code, Synopsis.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It's immaterial now, but I would have gone for the 1989 Programme Guide, as it's the only one I've got - it's a bit lightweight by today's satndards, but back then, it was indispensable, and my copy's well thumbed-through now.

I'm not even sure that I've ever actually seen a copy of The Doctor Who File, let alone read it!