Pip Madeley Guest

Default Spandau Ballet to re-form 30 years on

Eighties pop favourites Spandau Ballet are set to re-form, thirty years after they first launched. The group, which dissolved ten years ago after an acrimonious court case, are hoping to follow in the footsteps of Take That and The Police, who have seen huge success following their recent comebacks.

Manager Steve Dagger confirmed the news today. 'It's true,' he told the Sunday Express. 'We're not making announcements yet, but yes, basically the boys are back in town. Not just a nostalgic re-run of the old, but a fresh slant on what Spandau Ballet are all about.'

The reunion, which is expected to include the release of an album and multi-million pound world tour, is set to take place next month on the site of the band's launch in 1979, the HMS Belfast, which is moored on The Thames.

Band members Tony Hadley, Steve Norman, John Keeble and brothers Martin and Gary Kemp vowed 'never to speak to one another again', following a disagreement over royalties worth over £1million. Martin Kemp, 47, who went on to star in Eastenders, was the only member to abstain from the arguments in which Hadley, Norman and Keeble claimed that they were owed money by Gary Kemp, 49. Gary, the sole songwriting credit on all Spandau Ballet's hits, maintained that he had single-handedly created all the songs. Ironically it was he who later suggested the reunion ahead of the 2005 Live 8 concert.

The reunion has nonetheless surprised industry insiders. The former boss of thee band's previous label, Chrysalis Records, said: 'Every band on the way down is a band on the way up. But I never thought I'd see this one. Once, they couldn't stand to be in the same room together, let alone play. But now they are older, fatter, poorer, there's every reason to see if the magic still works.'

Wayne Guest

Once, they couldn't stand to be in the same room together, let alone play. But now they are older, fatter, poorer, there's every reason to see if the magic still works.
    I can see what the key word here is.

Not just a nostalgic re-run of the old, but a fresh slant on what Spandau Ballet are all about
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

"Take your seaside arm to write the next line"

That's all I have to say.

The Spands are doing "Gold!" on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross.*

The Sun were at the rehearsal:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2390793.ece

Should be worth a look.

* according to Wossy on Twitter

I preferred their version of the Ashes To Ashes trailer.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Pip Madeley Guest

Spandau 'challenge Oasis to piss up'

Spandau Ballet have challenged Oasis to a drinking competition.

The newly-reformed group have claimed that they are more "rock 'n' roll" than the Manchester band and could easily drink them under the table.

"We can take on Oasis. They are nice boys, pussycats. We're real rock 'n' roll," drummer John Keeble told The Mirror.

The group revealed that they have been successful on previous occasions when daring other bands to drinking contests.

"We were in Montreal with Beastie Boys. They heard we were hardcore so invited us for a drinking session on Jack Daniels. We kept going until one of them puked up, screaming for his mother," Tony Hadley added.

"Another time, the night before we recorded for Band Aid, we had a drink-off with Duran Duran. Steve Norman was so plastered he had to be carried off in a stretcher."
    I'd pay money to watch that.