Default Does anyone really like Underworld?

It's one of the questions I was just pondering. For every clunker of a story there is someone willing to stand up and say I love it... except poor old Underworld.

No-one ever seems to champion Underworld. Oh yes people will say it has great modelwork which is a bonus, but otherwise there seems to be no praise for it, no great love for it, no-one to say "Yes I like Underworld and I don't care what anyone else thinks"

So is there anyone here willing to champion it? Come on, stand up proud!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Episode 1 is fine, the problem is not so much hatred as the stories uncanny ability to make you utterly forget Episode 2 to 4. Perhaps the question should really be - can anyone recall and tell us anything about Episodes 2 to 4 without looking it up?

Si.

I can't. It's just one of the most forgettable stories there is, isn't it? Or am I wrong?

Si xx

well if i'm totally honest I've never had a problem with Underworld, yes the production/CGI and the sets is cheap but overall it's IMO quite a decent story and would say it's the 3rd best story in season 15 . In fact I would certainly give it a higher rating then all the stories in season 16 and most of the stories in season 17.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    - can anyone recall and tell us anything about Episodes 2 to 4 without looking it up?

Si.

yes the people in the space ship were on some sort of quest to find the race bank memories of their people(can't remember who they were) and the people in rags they found living in Underworld were in fact related to them. and they were ruled by a meglomaniac computer that the Doctor blew up by swaping the race bank memory things for a couple of bombs.

Wayne Guest

I can only damn it with faint praise by saying that i prefer it to the likes of 'Planet of Evil' & 'Masque of Mandragora'.
    I don't think it's particularly bad, but it's worst crime is that it's pretty unmemorable.

I've never seen it!!

I'm actually quite happy to know there's still something new out there that I haven't seen yet, even if it is Underworld.

Didn't RTD do a Production Notes about Underworld?

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Didn't RTD do a Production Notes about Underworld?
    Yep, DWM #379 methinks.

I must have seen it at least three times and not one thing about it can I recall.

I seem to think I didn't think the CSO was as bad as lore has it but I may have imagined that.

To quote a peroxide harlot..."Definitely, one of the all-time worst".

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I can only damn it with faint praise by saying that i prefer it to the likes of 'Planet of Evil' & 'Masque of Mandragora'.
    I don't think it's particularly bad, but it's worst crime is that it's pretty unmemorable.
    I agree, it is a far superior story to Planet of Evil, with comparable effects, but it is heavily overshadowed by the likes of Fang Rock and Fendahl and the political masterpiece that is Sunmakers.

What you have to remember is 'The Quest is the Quest!'
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

The CSO of the caves is terrible. I have to confess I don't recall too much of the rest of it. I have a memory of K-9 producing some kind of print out of a map, which kind of looks like a tree!!
    It's one of those ones where I really enjoyed the book (which I read before seeing the story) and then was rather disappointed by the way it looked on screen.
    Like Si (Hunt), I seemed to remember is started quite well - I think there's an audio recording of the TARDIS materializing that's played into the cockpit of a spaceship or something?!?!?!

Episode one is really good, Imogen Bickford-Smith is hot when she's not old and Alan Lake gives quite a larger than life performance. And er... thats it. Apparently its based on Jason and the Argonauts as well!

There's a superb reverse-ageing effect in part one as well. The robot costumes are quite creepy.

I really want to watch this again now... might be getting my wish soon, if the DVD rumours are to be believed!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

For all intents and purposes, I've never really seen it either!

Maybe I should organise an Underworld evening in which we all gather to watch and embrace all that is UNDERWORLD!

You're not that mean, are you Paul?

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    The robot costumes are quite creepy.

!

I always feel the robots look like something straight out of those very bad and cheesey 1950's sci fi B movies....

Maybe I should organise an Underworld evening in which we all gather to watch and embrace all that is UNDERWORLD!
    I'd suggest we record a commentary, but the last three episodes would just be people snoring.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

One thing I remember from parts two to four is that the extras are AWFUL! They don't look at all suited to the roles of 'ancient-Greek-slaves-in-space', almost as if they've just taken whoever the extras agency had available - in fact, one old dear (probably called Ethel) looks like she's come from having her hair dyed and permed at the hairdresser's! (Watch it, and you'll know the one I mean).

Oh, and there's a very trippy sequence featuring The Doctor and Leela floating up a shaft. Or something. Christ knows what that's all about.

It's a very brown story.

True. It is brown!

I was semi serious about the Underworld gathering by the way

Pip Madeley Guest

Shame you can't stay on April 4th or we could have done the commentary...