Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Possible DVD release of stories with missing episodes?

Spotted this on another forum, but seemingly bad news for anyone wanting dvd releases of any of the stories with missing episodes.....

....quoted from Steve Walsh over on the RT forum.....

Now this is interesting, someone over on DWO asked about the possibilities of releasing The Reign of Terror/The Tenth Planet/The Ice Warriors and what form they may take, and Dan Hall posted this answer a short time ago.

'I can answer your question with ease! No stories with missing episodes are currently on the schedule, pencilled or otherwise.

So I suggest popping BBC Audiobooks' fabulous releases into your CD player and enjoying the missing stories there!

DH'
    Boo.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

On the schedule currently I think is the clue here. It doesn't say outright that they're never coming, just that they're not coming currently.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Well yes, so that means none of them will see the light of day until late 2012/early 2013, when all the complete stories have been released.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Well it gives Robert Mugabe a chance to give them all back, doesn't it?

Si xx

bit dissapointed by this news I can understand why stories like Reign of Terror might be held back but I see no reason why The Tenth Planet and The Ice Warriors can't be released now. What they did for the video releases using telly snaps and audio sound track to replace the missing episodes was fine and I see no reason why they can't use it again or why it should delay the release.

I'm not disappointed!

It makes good financial sense to leave those stories until last, and the longer they leave it the easier/cheaper it will probably get to re-animate/recon or whatever they end up doing to fill in the gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    I'm not disappointed!

It makes good financial sense to leave those stories until last, and the longer they leave it the easier/cheaper it will probably get to re-animate/recon or whatever they end up doing to fill in the gaps.

and who knows episode 4 of The Tenth Planet, might of turned up by then ..

Captain Tancredi Guest

Well, there are still enough unreleased Hartnells and Troughtons for it not to be an issue as yet- and it also leaves the possibility of releasing some or all of the incomplete stories as a set at the end of the run.

Pip Madeley Guest

Ant Cox speaks the truth!

Do you think it would be worth it if there were no releases for a whole YEAR, but after that they released a reanimated version of The Daleks' Master Plan?
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Yes.

Though unfortunately I don't think DVD budgets work like that.

I can understand why stories like Reign of Terror might be held back but I see no reason why The Tenth Planet and The Ice Warriors can't be released now.
    Why is "The Ice Warriors" more fit for release than "Reign of Terror"?

Si.

It's not as if it's any more exciting!

Ooh, controversial!

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    a) The missing episodes of IW exist as telesnaps, the RoT ones are missing - should animation be unavailable IW would be easier to release

b) The soundtrack to IW is in excellent condition, the RoT suffers from poor quality & sound bleeding (the Who theme tune can be heard for a couple of minutes)

Maybe the intention is to release a 'special' set of all the remaining incomplete stories - ie, a bit like Lost in Time. I'm just having a quick mental tot up as I type this, I reckon that would be (barring any discoveries in the meantime) eleven episodes. Three discs (one per story) would seem not unreasonable.

Personally I think that makes more sense than having several incomplete stories as standalone releases - The Invasion is like that, but it's a special case because of (a) the fact that they had animation to fill the gap; and (b) even without the missing episodes there's still six!

They could call it 'Partly Lost in Time' or The 'What We Found Behind The Sofa' collection.

BTW, I listened to RoT on audio recently, and I rather like it - if nothing else it boasts Hartnell in an outrageous costume, so scores over The Ice Warriors on that point alone!!

Did you spot Ronald Pickup, though....?

I may, or may not, have heard his voice.

Quote Originally Posted by shada pavlova View Post
    Do you think it would be worth it if there were no releases for a whole YEAR, but after that they released a reanimated version of The Daleks' Master Plan?

I've always felt that for The Dalek Master Plan, to be a viable stand aloan release you would (exluding Feast of Steven) realisticly want to have recovered at least 7 of the 11 episodes. I'm not saying I'm against the idea of animating the missing episodes a story that only has at most 2 missing episodes is ideal for animation. I personaly just don't think I'd be interested in buying and then sitting and watching a story of 6 episodes or more of animation.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    I've always felt that for The Dalek Master Plan, to be a viable stand aloan release you would (exluding Feast of Steven) realisticly want to have recovered at least 7 of the 11 episodes.
    You've got more chance of finding an ostrich with a plum up its arse, sadly.

This has pissed me off, from the RT site, about why the Galaxy 4 Radio Times cuttings weren't included with The Time Meddler.....

Originally, a cut-down version of G4 was to be included on Time Meddler, but after the success of the animated episodes of 'The Invasion', Dan didn't feel that telesnap recons cut the mustard any more......
    Oh well, if Dan doesn't like them.....

That's a crying shame. Especially as "The Invasion" style is too expensive to be another other than a one-off. So now we get neither?

Si.

Pshaw! That's like saying that they won't do telesnaps because it won't look as good as hiring look-a-like actors and refilming all the missing episodes.

Are there any fans attempting their own animation? Given that the Telesnap Recons have been pretty much nailed with Loose Canon and the rest, it seems the next logical step.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

A fan has attempted to animate DMP #1 - I'll be bringing it along on April 4th with other treats

They're trying, with not neglible success. The trouble is, these things tend to look a little sinister, like the recent Troughton/Web of Fear trailer attempt. The minute you try and get life-like, you have to have it REALLY life like, or it just looks unsettling.

Si.

Some positive news here.