Default Tennant's Hamlet (Boxing Day BBC2)

Good news for those of us who couldn't get a ticket:

David Tennant is planning to give fans another chance to see his short-lived stage performance of Shakespeare's Hamlet - a film version of the acclaimed play is in the making

Tennant was forced to axe his West End run in the Bard's classic in December (08) after suffering a slipped disc and subsequently undergoing surgery to correct the condition.

He managed to recover in time to return to London's Novello Theatre for one week of shows - but many fans were left disappointed after failing to catch the actor in the title role.

And now Tennant is to show fans what they missed by reprising the part for a special movie.

Hamlet co-star Oliver Ford Davies, who played the role of Polonius, says, "We are intending to film it over two or three weeks in June. It won't be a full feature film as there isn't time but it will certainly be more than just the filming of the stage."
    Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

to give fans another chance to see...
    To make more money, in other words.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

On the other hand, I'd like to see this and there's no way I'm going to phone the RSC five hundred times during the hour the tickets are released to go and see it at the theatre.

It won't make that much money though, I'll wait until the DVD is £3.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

And this will be in addition to four feature-length Doctor Who episodes and whatever else this year? Personally I'm rather worried about him - the man seems like a workaholic and looks visibly aged and more drawn from the youthful man that took over Doctor Who just a few years ago. I wish he'd have a break and relax a bit.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    To make more money, in other words.
    Of course - when something is that popular what do you expect?

And to be fair a lot of people never got to see Tennant in Hamlet.

Pip Madeley Guest

It's not a film, it's a TV adaptation:

Tennant to reprise Hamlet for BBC

Actor David Tennant has signed up to reprise his role as Hamlet for BBC Two. The Doctor Who star recently completed a stint playing the prince on stage as part of a Royal Shakespeare Company production.

He will be joined by all of the key members of its original cast, including Star Trek actor Patrick Stewart, who plays Claudius. BBC Two controller Janice Hadlow said the 180-minute screen production of Hamlet was "a wonderful opportunity... to bring one of the great stage successes of last year to a wider audience".

Tickets for the stage performances, which opened in Stratford-Upon-Avon and later moved to London, sold out in hours.After his debut appearance, the Guardian called Tennant the "best Hamlet in years".Although the 38-year-old was lauded by critics, he hurt his back and was unable to perform for a while as he recovered from surgery.
    In February his return to the stage as Hamlet was named the event of the year in the Whatsonstage.com Theatregoers' Choice Awards, which also saw Kenneth Branagh win best actor for Ivanov.

Pip Madeley Guest

And it's on Boxing Day at 5pm.