Default BBC4 Christmas Ghost Stories (15-22 Dec)

Following last year's dramatisation of the MR James ghost story A View From A Hill (repeated tonight at 10pm), BBC Four are screening a new version of Number 13 (starring Greg Wise) tomorrow night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/cinema/...-stories.shtml

No 13
    Adaptation of the MR James ghost story. An academic visits a small cathedral city to research its ecclesiastical history when the subject of his research begins to disturb his slumber. [AD,S]

Fri 22 Dec, 22:30-23:10 40mins Stereo Widescreen

A View from a Hill
    Peter Harness's dramatisation of MR James's spooky tale follows the tradition of the BBC's classic ghost stories for Christmas. An ambitious archaeologist encounters a gruesome local legend. [S]

Thu 21 Dec, 22:00-22:40 40mins Stereo Widescreen

The MR James/Ghost Story docs from 2004/05 are also being repeated tomorrow night.

10:00 pm MR James: The Corner of the Retina
    Profile of the famous author featuring interviews with admirers of his spine-chilling ficton, including Ruth Rendell and Muriel Gray. [S]

10:30 pm No 13
    Adaptation of the MR James ghost story. An academic visits a small cathedral city to research its ecclesiastical history when the subject of his research begins to disturb his slumber. [AD,S]

11:10 pm The Story of the Ghost Story
    A look at the history of the ghost story, from tradition and folklore via the Gothic novel to the present, offering insights into the work of some of the genre's greatest writers. [S]

Some good stuff in there.

Shame there are no archive repeats this year, though.

I'm going to miss this, is it being repeated at all?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

This sounds quite good. I liked MR James' The Signalman and Whistle and I'll Come to You.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    I'm going to miss this, is it being repeated at all?
    No 13 is being repeated this Thursday (22nd) on BBC Four at 11pm. I think the later 2:40am repeat on Friday morning will be signed.

No new Christmas Ghost Story this year, but they're repeating a few old ones:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/cinema/...-stories.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by BBC Four
    GHOST STORIES FOR 2007

A selection of ghost stories are being screened on BBC Four in December 2007, including MR James' Number 13 and The Signalman.

Saturday 15 December

THE HAUNTED AIRMAN
    11.30pm-12.40pm; 2.10am-3.20am

Dramatisation of Dennis Wheatley's tale about a recuperating military pilot who sees frightening visions.

Sunday 16 December

MR JAMES: A VIEW FROM A HILL
    10.40pm-11.20pm; 2.30am-3.10am

Another chance to see this classic ghost story. When Mr Fanshawe borrows his host's binoculars, he sees an unsettling sight on aptly-named Gallows Hill -or does he?

Monday 17 December

MR JAMES: THE STALLS OF BARCHESTER
    11.40pm-12.30am

Robert Hardy stars as an ambitious cleric who decides to advance his career by murdering his archdeacon.

Tuesday 18 December

MR JAMES: NUMBER 13
    10pm-10.40pm; rpt 2.35am-3.20am
    Greg Wise stars in this unsettling tale in which a traveller finds that the hotel he's booked into conceals a supernatural secret.

Wednesday 19 December

MR JAMES: THE TREASURE OF ABBOT THOMAS
    10pm-11.35pm

Michael Bryant stars as a historian who finds the clue to hidden treasure in an old stained-glass window.

MR JAMES: WHISTLE AND I'LL COME TO YOU
    11.05pm-11.50am

Jonathan Miller's chilling adaptation of Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad, starring Michael Horden as a hapless professor who finds a mysterious whistle on the bleak Norfolk coast.

Thursday 20 December

MR JAMES: LOST HEARTS
    10pm-11.35pm

A powerful drama about Mr Abney, an elderly and excitable black magician, who preys sinisterly upon children.

THE SIGNALMAN
    11.05pm-11.45pm

Adaptation of the Charles Dickens story, in which a hooded figure seems to warn a lonely signalman of an unspoken danger.

There's also this classic archive gem on Saturday 22nd December:

Quote Originally Posted by Radio Times
    Dead of Night: The Exorcism
    Saturday 22 December
    11:10pm - 12:00am
    BBC4

A play on the theme of the supernatural, but one that's more concerned with portraying class conflict.

Original BBC 1972 details

More spoilery info below:

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/1155743/index.html (SPOILERS!)

Produced by Innes Lloyd, Louis Marks as Script Editor, Visual Effects by John Friedlander and Clive Swift in the cast! What more do you need?

Can someone please change the dates in the thread title to 15th-22nd December?

Cheers

Edited to add: Many thanks.
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 10th Dec 2007 at 12:12 AM.