Default What's Captain Jack's secret?

What do you think really happened to him during the two years or so missing from his memory? What is his real interest in the Doctor? Who is he?

Around the time of the PS relaunch, a friend of mine (a fellow long-time Doctor Who fan) asked me this question. He suggested a few possible answers, which were purely the sort of wild speculation that we love...such as , rather than being a Time Agent, could Jack really be a Time Lord? And given the Time Lords ability to change their appearance, who could he actually be, if this were the case? On the down side, would it be too far fetched to suggest that he could be the Master, or at least be in the employ of the Master? Or alternatively, could he even be some part of the Doctor himself, like the Watcher was for example?

I invited my friend to join here and post this for himself, but so far he's declined. (Come on Ward ...if you read this come and join in, you know you'll enjoy it!) But on his behalf, I thought I'd pose the question...What is Captain Jack's secret?

I think that it's way too far-sighted to say that he's The Master, or an accomplice of the Master.

From what is actually available from DW and Torchwood, we can deduce...

SPOILERS

Captain Jack Harkness is a former Time Agent. Two years of his memory were wiped, and consequently he left the service. During The Parting of the Ways, he was killed and brought back to life by Super-Rose, and was consequently made immortal (a Time Lord would have regenerated if shot through the head, where as his wound just healed). Following the events of The Parting of the Ways, he was sent spiralling backwards in time for some reason (maybe to be explored in the finale of Torchwood, or in S3 of DW?)

I think that just about covers it.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Trudi G Guest

I think his secret is that he's really a woman......

Loads of botox, some work around the eyes and a dodgy syrup.

maybe he's really the Face of Boe..

Dave Lewis Guest

I think he's the Doctor's son.

Oh yes I do.

Which makes their kiss a bit worse than Luke and Leia's in Star Wars.

What rubbish Dave!

He's the Doctor's dad.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I don't expect him to be a TimeLord as such, but I wouldn't be suprised if he somehow is involved in their ultimate resurrection, or to have been involved in their demise in the time war. The thing that niggles me is that, in Torchwood, he is here to prepare us for the future, but is that a self imposed duty following his experience of the Daleks, or was he sent back to earth by an external agency, like the Doctor has been in the past.

I'm sure we'll find out more in season 3 though. It'll be interesting to see how he and the Doctor react to each other.

I'm sure we'll find out more in season 3 though. It'll be interesting to see how he and the Doctor react to each other.
    I think we'll find out more in the two part finale of Torchwood series one, AND at the end of Who series three.

As for the Doctor and Jack... well, when they meet up it will be interesting to see how Jack reacts to a Doctor he's never met, and a new companion who isn't Rose.
    I am out there... somewhere.

when they meet up it will be interesting to see how Jack reacts to a Doctor he's never met, and a new companion who isn't Rose
    He'll probably try and bed them both!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    He'll probably try and bed them both!
    is that before or after he's punched the Doctor's lights out for dumping him..

I still don't think that Jack's a Time Lord, as the traumas he's had in the series would have forced several regenerations, but...

if he isn't actually called Jack Harkness, then who the heck is he!?!?

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Vell, Cap'n Jack is just zis guy, y'know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Williams View Post
    I still don't think that Jack's a Time Lord, as the traumas he's had in the series would have forced several regenerations, but...

if he isn't actually called Jack Harkness, then who the heck is he!?!?

Ant x
    i certainly don't think Jack, is a Time Lord as The Doctor should of been able to sence it just a theory could his seceret be some way linked with The Face of Boe's seceret..