Thread: Router problem?

Captain Tancredi Guest

Default Router problem?

I'm paying a fleeting visit on dialup tonight because my broadband connection is playing up- it went a bit strange last night for a while and then was OK again, but tonight it just doesn't want to connect. A test in the Router Manager application suggests that it's the ADSL connection- does anybody know whether that means it might be at BT's end (they're my broadband providers) as much as mine? For the moment my plan is to play it by ear for the next day or so and see if it clears up...

Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.

Have a look at this page:
    http://www0.more-solutions.co.uk/sup...test-user.html

The first bit says to logon to ADSL using the username bt_test@startup_domain with no password. That should always connect you to ADSL (if you try and browse you will get a web page back from BT saying that you're using the test account and can't get anywhere).
    The benefit of this test is to confirm if there is a problem with your ISP or your ADSL connection.

Further tests (see above or check out this: http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/10 ) should help you pin-point the problem.

If it's a problem with your ISP, then talk to them.
    If it is a problem with your line, then talk to your ISP who will be able to get BT to do some tests and tweak various settings on your line.
    After three tweaks BT will send an engineer out to your place to have a look. If he/she finds that the problem is with your equipment, then you will be charged

I recently had ADSL problems, my ADSL connection kept dropping. I changed the microfilter and phone cable to the router as well as having BT tweak my line three times. Things have now stabilised.
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Note: I've just re-read Ian's post.

As BT is his ISP, BT shouldn't have a problem talking to BT to check his line or his ADSL logon
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Captain Tancredi Guest

Thanks, Phil- after about an hour talking to our friends in the subcontinent they established that it was a fault with either the network or the line, so it's been referred to the engineers.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Update- came back from work to find the router now more or less dead and only showing the red light, and a message on my answering machine from BT saying that they were monitoring the connection. It was only thinking about it last night that it occurred to me that my broadband speed seems to have been slipping for a while now and the combination of the two does make me wonder whether the router might have been running down for a while.

Ah well- nothing much I can do for the next few days as I'm not around, and in that sense it's not the worst possible time it could have happened. Just have to wait and see what happens over the weekend.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Hopefully a final update- BT confirmed today that the problem is with the router, so I've renewed my contract with them and they're sending me a new one which should reach me next Monday. Until then, unless I feel like going down to the library for a big surfing session at some time, my internet activity is likely to be restricted to checking for urgent emails and not much else, so with any luck I'll be around more next week.

Captain Tancredi Guest

New router received, connected up and all appears to be well! I think my suspicion that the old one had been running down for a while may have been right as well- for the twenty minutes or so that I've been online, the speed has been much better than I've had recently.

My router keeps playing up. It's always intermettent: it'll suddenly cut out at random, and not reconnect for about half an hour.

Also it gives up whenever the phone rings.

Any ideas?
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?