Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

BBC News were quick with that retrospective!

Pip Madeley Guest

David Stilletoe must have prepared it months ago

For me it's 'Remember The Time', just because I've always loved it. Classic stuff.

"Earthsong".

Si.

"Jam"

Just heard on ITN and I think it's sad.The songs I'll remember him for are Bad and Smooth Criminal. RIP Michael.
    I hope what I just wrote made sense, it did when I was thinking it.

I didn't get into Jacko until late on, my favourite of his is "HIStory". Gonna have to put together an itunes playlist to listen to tomorrow!

Entertainment Tonight Online already have the "Exclusive Michael Jackson Ambulance Photo".

Quote Originally Posted by cyberchris35 View Post
    The songs I'll remember him for are Bad and Smooth Criminal.
    Yes - Smooth Criminal is a superb piece of work.

It's a bit of a sad reflection of our society that mags think we need to see that photo of him in the ambulence, and that people will indeed buy it.

I somehow doubted that the comeback concerts would ever happen, that he'd pull out or ill health would stop them. When the postponements were made public I thought about all the fans who would be gnashing their teeth in anger and disappointment. I never thought that he'd die.
    It's fair to say that I haven't been much of a fan of his in recent years, but over the years I bought a fair amount of his records, both with the Jackson Five and as a solo artist.
    My favourite Jackson Five album is the final one they recorded for Motown in 1975, Moving Violation, it's a great thumping disco album with an excellent cover of Diana Ross and The Supremes Forever Came Today.
    For all his solo successes, and let's not doubt his talent, I still think 1979's Off The Wall is a far better album than Thriller. After Bad I thought he'd lost his way a little and I began to lose interest in his music.
    His "wacko" behaviour in recent years did nothing to endear him to me any further, and like the rest of the world, wondered what had gone wrong with his mental state.
    I'm truly shocked by the news of his death, and no matter what anybody thinks or says of Michael Jackson, today the world has lost a monumental talent whose contribution to popular music should not be forgotten or overlooked.

RIP Michael Jackson.

R.I.P.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Pip Madeley Guest

QUINCY JONES ON MICHAEL JACKSON'S PASSING: 'I'VE LOST MY LITTLE BROTHER'

"He was the consummate entertainer and his contributions and legacy will be felt upon the world forever. I've lost my little brother today, and part of my soul has gone with him."

The main problem is that he is no longer biodegradable, what are they going to do with the body?
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Pip Madeley Guest

The BBC News 24 coverage just makes me think of Charlie Brooker's Newswipe...

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    The BBC News 24 coverage just makes me think of Charlie Brooker's Newswipe...
    I might have to check that out!
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,

I've had 9 Michael Jackson CDs listed on ebay for weeks now and 5 of them have sold in the last hour!

Wonder if i should raise the prices on the ones that are left!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    I've had 9 Michael Jackson CDs listed on ebay for weeks now and 5 of them have sold in the last hour!

Wonder if i should raise the prices on the ones that are left!
    Go for it! Cash in, that's what Jacko would have done!

Any chance we could save the tasteless comments/jokes until at least the next day? Seems a bit out of place on a thread where some of us are still trying to come to terms with the fact that a childhood hero and legend has gone.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morgan View Post
    I somehow doubted that the comeback concerts would ever happen, that he'd pull out or ill health would stop them. When the postponements were made public I thought about all the fans who would be gnashing their teeth in anger and disappointment. I never thought that he'd die.
    It's fair to say that I haven't been much of a fan of his in recent years, but over the years I bought a fair amount of his records, both with the Jackson Five and as a solo artist.
    My favourite Jackson Five album is the final one they recorded for Motown in 1975, Moving Violation, it's a great thumping disco album with an excellent cover of Diana Ross and The Supremes Forever Came Today.
    For all his solo successes, and let's not doubt his talent, I still think 1979's Off The Wall is a far better album than Thriller. After Bad I thought he'd lost his way a little and I began to lose interest in his music.
    His "wacko" behaviour in recent years did nothing to endear him to me any further, and like the rest of the world, wondered what had gone wrong with his mental state.
    I'm truly shocked by the news of his death, and no matter what anybody thinks or says of Michael Jackson, today the world has lost a monumental talent whose contribution to popular music should not be forgotten or overlooked.

RIP Michael Jackson.
    Thanks for sharing that - well put, it really sums up a lot of what I'd like to put down.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    If you had to remember him for just one song - what would it be?
    He's made loads of good ones but the words of One Day In Your Life seem pretty apt right now.

One day in your life
    you'll remember a place
    Someone's touching your face
    You'll come back and you'll look around you

One day in your life
    You'll remember the love you found here
    You'll remember me somehow
    Though you don't need me now
    I will stay in your heart
    And when things fall apart
    You'll remember one day...

One day in your life
    When you find that you're always waiting
    For the love we used to share
    Just call my name
    And I'll be there

(Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh...)

One day in your life
    When you find that you're always longing
    for the love we used to share
    Just call my name
    And I'll be there

They were doing back-to-back MJ at the Les Mills gym at lunchtime. His music is still very popular in the Les Mills Body Step/Attack/Jam programs of aerobics to set music.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morgan View Post
    He's made loads of good ones but the words of One Day In Your Life seem pretty apt right now.

One day in your life
    you'll remember a place
    Someone's touching your face
    You'll come back and you'll look around you

One day in your life
    You'll remember the love you found here

One day in your life
    When you find that you're always waiting
    For the love we used to share
    Just call my name
    And I'll be there

(Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh...)

One day in your life
    When you find that you're always longing
    for the love we used to share
    Just call my name
    And I'll be there
    That's possibly my favourite Jackson song of all, Stephen...it's the one which I'll remember him for most. While I haven't really been much of a fan of his stuff from 'Bad' onwards (although there were still some great songs scattered through this period) it was his 70s/early 80s stuff, both with the Jackson 5 and solo - up to and including 'Thriller' - which featured his really classic stuff.

Unfortunately his personal life eventually overshadowed his music, and he became something of a laughing stock, a figure of ridicule because of his plastic surgery and choice of pets. Personally I'll prefer to remember him as he was in my youth...as has already been said, a phenomenal talent who will be greatly missed.

Micheal Jackson, RIP.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I hope all the people that mocked him, extorted him and tried to ruin him feel guilty. He never really did anything wrong did he? But he was used his whole life, from when he was a kid by greedy record producers locking him in a studio 24-7, to when he was an adult and every week someone tried to sue him. And all he ever did was make some great, great music.
    It's only a couple of weeks ago that Jay Leno in his last Tonight Show thanked Bill Clinton, George W Bush and Michael Jackson for keping him going with material for 17 years. Nobody's fault, but I'm not sure Jackson always (ever?) had somebody standing next to him to keep him grounded and whisper in his ear when he was about to do something which gave the comedians more ammunition.

Potentially also very serious consequences for the hospitality industry in London from the loss of the concerts- I would guess that a lot of low paid people doing casual work in the concessions at the O2 won't now have jobs and the hotels are going to have a lot of cancellations.

It's shocking news isn't it?

I have to say, as is possibly well known, I've never been a huge fan and that's probably not going to change, but it is very sad to hear. In many ways he's a tragic reminder that fame doesn't always bring happiness with it and thatalways being in the spotlight, right from your childhood isn't healthy.

RIP Michael.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I can't believe it.

But then scarcely anything in Michael Jackson's life has been believable, from his astonishing success to his ultimate decline. Floating a statue of himself down the Thames, building up Neverland Ranch, the endless plastic surgery, dangling a baby out of a window, that man is gone. But then, so is the man who brought us some fabulous music, who helped to bring black and white music to come together, who seemed to genuinely care about things in the world when someone in his position so easily could have become utterly arrogant.

It's an unreal and shocking end to an unreal and shocking life. Wherever he is now, I hope he's free.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    They probably had an article ready for his comeback tour, which would just need minor tweaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    that man is gone. But then, so is the man who brought us some fabulous music
    Yes - I've not been a big fan of his for a while. But perhaps today is the day we look at the best of the man.