Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Michael Jackson - Making Money

Michael Jackson appeared at the O2 about ten minutes ago, before screaming, besotted fans. The appearance was being commented on by the second by a BBC newsreader.
    "Some of them have T-Shirts on and are chewing vigorously on gum," observed the stunned commentator. Such depths of devotion are surely nothing less than shocking.

The man himself then appeared in person, sheltering under a massive black wig.
    "This is it..." he said twenty seven times, before stepping to and from the microphone a lot and saying "This is it" some more.

"This is the last time I will play London... see you in July..." was about the only actual information we got, before he dissapeared behind the curtain again.

Amazing.

Those that couldn't physically control themselves during the wait for the historic announcement could, however, have gleaned the same information and more from posters like this:

which someone had helpfully pasted round London a few hours before.

Si.

This is it. This time I know it's the real thing. I can't explain what I'm feeling. Stunned and amazed by your parade.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    "Some of them have T-Shirts on and are chewing vigorously on gum," observed the stunned commentator.
    The chewing gum bit was my favourite.

Has the disease that's turned his skin white, dropped his voice by a couple of octaves too? It sounded like someone completely different.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

He must have had surgery to implant the elephant man's larynx into himself. It's the only explanation.

Si.

Pop superstar Michael Jackson has doubled his run of comeback shows in London this summer - after more than a million fans tried to get tickets. The Thriller hitmaker announced his return to the stage last week at a press conference in the capital, unveiling a residency of 10 shows at the city's O2 Arena in July.
    More than a million fans registered to buy tickets for the 10 shows at the 20,000-capacity venue, with pre-sale seats snapped up within minutes of going on sale on Wednesday.
    Websites went into meltdown as Jackson fans across the globe desperately clamoured for tickets - prompting organisers to extend his run for another 10 shows.

The shows currently stretch from 8 July until 28 August.
    Jackson hasn't played a full concert since 2001 and insists these shows will be his last in London.
    Tickets go on sale to the general public on Friday.
    Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

He's adding September dates as we speak.

I've been trying all day to get tickets, without avail. I stumbled out of bed at 7am this morning to catch the pre-sale but it seemed like a very long-winded, very unfair system. Surely they ought to be able to tell you instantly which tickets are available, even if it's none? Instead I got a constantly refreshing "Wait Time: over 30 minutes" screen for about an hour, only to be told when it got down to 0 that either the page hadn't loaded, or there were no tickets, or something else.

Why does everything to do with that man have to be done cack-handedly?

Si.

The Mirror have published a reported set list:

'Billie Jean'

'Wanna Be Startin' Something'

'Rock With You'

'The Way You Make Me Feel'

'Don't Stop Till You Get Enough'

'I Just Can't Stop Loving You'

'Human Nature'

'Smooth Criminal'

'Girlfriend'

'Beat It'

'Man in the Mirror'

'One Day In Your Life'

'Heal The World'

'You Are Not Alone'

'Remember The Time'

'Thriller'
    Only one song from "HIStory", nothing from "Invincible" and no "Ease On Down The Road", then.

Shows now up to 47. THIS IS IT! Your last chance to see Michael Jackson EVER*.

Si.

* before 2014

In London.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Pip Madeley Guest

16 songs seems like a small list to me, but then I guess I am used to 2 1/2 hour gigs.

I think his show might be a bit more theatrical than shows you are used to Pip, hence the extra time will be taken up with costume changes and musical theatre.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I think his show might be a bit more theatrical than shows you are used to Pip, hence the extra time will be taken up with costume changes and musical theatre.
    Oh you'd be surprised:

It's a poor set list but I'll take it with a pinch of salt as I would imagine it's still in the rehearsal stages and songs often get dropped and added at that stage. They published a Madonna one in the Sun last year and it was largely wrong and let's not forget that article which swore the Spice Girl's new single was "W.O.M.A.N."

I'd expect "You Rock My World" and a Jackson 5 Medley at least!

Dame Mike is now using his freshly aquired ticket application mailing list to try and shift unsold copies of that awful singles box set he was peddling about three years ago. DESPERATE!

Michael Jackson took the lead as the first artist to apply Dual Disc technology – audio on one side and video on the other – to the hit single format. And in the true larger-than-life tradition of “the King of Pop,” VISIONARY – THE VIDEO SINGLES encompasses Michael’s 20 greatest singles (accompanied by one alternate version or remix each) coupled with the historic video for each title. The 20 hits range from 1979’s consecutive #1 R&B/ #1 pop “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough” and “Rock With You,” all the way through 1997’s "Blood On The Dance Floor" and "Stranger In Moscow."

Each Dual Disc is beautifully packaged in a spined jacket that replicates the original 7-inch or 12-inch single’s artwork. Each inner sleeve replicates the original record label logo on its open side – the flip side contains a collage of hundreds of tiny photographic images imported from Michael’s videos. When arranged on a table in jigsaw pattern, those 20 square sleeves recreate Michael’s profile as seen on the outside walls of the sturdy cubed top-lid box that houses the 20 Dual Discs.

The final stock of this rare box is being released to Legacy Newsletter subscribers first. There are less than 250 left, and after this no more will ever be made, so be sure to grab a piece of music video history now!
    I'm so sorry I passed up on the chance to own the same old songs you can get on any cheap compilation coupled with an "alternate version or remix" of each (so generous!) and the video which you can also get on DVD. They don't even go up to the latest singles. Things must be even more exciting when the press release has to detail a replication of "the original record company logo" (be still my beating heart) and "sturdy cubed top-lid box". I truly have been waiting for the day when these precious rare items (no doubt clogging up someone's store room in the years since they failed to ignite the charts in the expected way) could be released - RELEASED - to Legacy newsletter subscribers, first. First being, of course, only three years after that other exclusive group, the general public.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Michael Jackson has postponed the opening of his 'This Is It' London O2 arena residency by four days.

The tour will now begin on July 13 because the 'Thriller' star needs more time to rehearse, concert promoters AEG confirmed. Three further dates have been moved back to March 2010.

"This show has grown in size and scope, thereby necessitating more lead time for manufacture of the set, programming the content for the massive video elements, and, most importantly, more time for full production and dress rehearsals," Randy Phillips, President of AEG Live said in a statement.

"As much as we agonised over this change in the original schedule, we are sure the fans will understand when they experience the level of entertainment Michael Jackson intends to deliver."

In an email sent to ticket holders for the rescheduled dates, the show organisers apologised for the unexpected changes. "We wanted to ensure that all of Michael's fans attending the concerts get the same quality in staging and level of entertainment," they explained.

"It is AEG Live's sincere hope that those lucky enough to have purchased tickets will have enough time to change their personal schedules and travel plans if they are coming from outside of London."

Full refunds are being offered to fans who cannot make the rearranged concerts.
    I bet some people will have bought non-refundable travel... annoying.

Delaying a concert by three days (a huge annoyance if you've booked travel and accomodation) and admitting it's because you need more time to rehearse is shoddy. Delaying a concert by almost A YEAR (and presumably hanging on to peoples cash for all that time as well) is nothing short of appalling!

Si.

That is no way to treat your fans. If you're not ready you don't announce a tour. I'd be disgusted if I was a fan who'd paid a huge amount to see this show. But I'm not silly enough to have done that.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

It might be that you'll be lucky to actually see him:

Michael Jackson has attended just two rehearsals for his forthcoming residency at London's O2 arena, according to a report.

The pop legend is said to be 'in a stupor', leading to fears that the project could be cut back or scrapped altogether.

Jackson has already postponed the opening four nights of his comeback. Concert promoters AEG explained the delay by insisting that organisers needed more time to prepare for the production's "size and scope".

However, a source told the Daily Mail: "The suggestion that they need more time to set up the show in London is a joke."

The insider added: "I think the fans who have already bought tickets should hold their breath and cross their fingers, because there is no guarantee any of this is actually going to happen. There is a possibility that this will still happen, but it is up to him to get his act together.

"Michael has only been to two days of rehearsals for the show. His dancers have been working on it every single day for 45 days at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, but Michael has been nowhere to be found."

The opening show at The O2 is currently scheduled for July 13.

We never had this problem with Roger Limb and Paddy Kingsland...

But I'm not silly enough to have done that.
    We almost got tickets. I don't think you'd be that daft to think that it might happen, given all the confidence in the advertising.

That said, I know him of old and I think part of what made me give up on trying to get tickets (aside from the terrible website that let you spend half an hour logging on only to have to start again) was (a) the suspicion the show would be a tired re-tread of the one from 1996 and (b) the belief he might not be up to it

Si.

If you're going to see MJ, and have yet to buy or own a MJ 'Best Of', what sort of package would you want to see? Well, luckily for you, SonyBMG have commissioned some very expensive market research....

On 8th July Michael Jackson begins his record breaking 50 night residency at the 02 in London. This is the showbiz event of the decade.

Following extensive research into the market for Michael Jackson we have a very clear picture of who we need to target, how we need to speak to them and what product they would like to buy.

We found out that consumers who have yet to buy an MJ best of want a cross career package with hits from the Jackson 5 to the present day, image wise it is all about the Thriller era for this market. Finally they want simple packages that clearly ‘do what they say on the tin’. As a result we have Michael Jackson ‘The Hits’. This has the excellent, cross career tracklisting of The Essential, classic Thriller imagery and the title lets the consumer know exactly what they are buying.
    So, all that just to repackage 'The Essential Michael Jackson' in an image from 'Thriller' and change the name. These companies continue to prove they're run by muppets....doesn't anyone who works there buy cds?

consumers who have yet to buy an MJ best of
    If I ever see an example of this endangered species, I'd feel duty bound to capture it and alert the preservation societies.

Si.

Well SonyBMG say they "know how to speak to them", so they probably have all their names and adresses.

It'll be another top 5 album.

On 8th July Michael Jackson begins his record breaking 50 night residency
    Sounds like a jail sentence. Yes, this MJ's longest residency!

at the 02 in London. This is the showbiz event of the decade.
    Whether MJ turns up or not.

Following extensive research into the market for Michael Jackson we have a very clear picture of who we need to target, how we need to speak to them and what product they would like to buy.

Hello Ar$£tard! You wanna buy more MJ stuff? Yeah?

We found out that consumers who have yet to buy an MJ best of want a cross career package with hits from the Jackson 5 to the present day, image wise it is all about the Thriller era for this market.

Hmm, so the whole 'Thriller' album, along with some Jackson 5 hits. Sounds good.

Finally they want simple packages that clearly ‘do what they say on the tin’.

So it's coming out in a tin, eh?

As a result we have Michael Jackson ‘The Hits’. This has the excellent, cross career tracklisting of The Essential, classic Thriller imagery and the title lets the consumer know exactly what they are buying.

What I want is a best of WITHOUT bloody Earth Song on it. Capice?!?!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

The news stories they've managed to conjour up out of nothing is amazing. Recently Jacko specified some performers he wanted for on stage. Fair enough? He said I want some clean shaven brass band drummers. Fair enough? Headline "JACKO'S CRAZY DEMANDS! THE POP SUPERSTAR BANS HIS STAGE ACTS FROM HAVING (WAIT FOR IT!) BEARDS!". What a nutjob! I mean, what the hell is wrong with that? Stage performance, you want a look, you want everything to be coordinated, you want it to look right. You don't want nine identical clean-shaven drummers and one in the middle with a bloody great bushy beard! Fair enough, surely?!

Si.

Last edited by Milky Tears; 25th Jun 2009 at 10:52 PM.