Thread: Magic Moments

Rose

There are many, mnay good moments in Rose, but I'm going to go for Rose's slow motion run into the TARDIS at the end of the episode. One of the most joyous moments in Doctor Who history!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

You've forgotten Dimensions in Time!
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Oh if only

My favourite moment in The End of the World...

In third place, the final scene with the Doctor revealing "I'm the last of the Timelords" for the first time. We're used to it now, but at the time it was just so exciting because not even we long-time fans knew what to expect from the show. Great times.

In second place, which always makes us laugh here at Curnow Towers, is the exchange of gifts, and most particularly "Air from my lungs... There's plenty more where that came from!"

But in first place, my magicest moment from TEOTW is the bit where suddenly Britney Spears' Toxic kicks in. Totally unprecedented, I swear I could hear the distant thud as Who fans' jaws dropped. Even now, every time I hear that song (and also Tainted Love) it makes me smile.

I have to add my apologies for the absurd number of times I used the word 'time' in the first paragraph above. My old English teacher would be appalled at such repetition!

Pip Madeley Guest

A bit sad perhaps, but my favourite bit in The Unquiet Dead is when the TARDIS dematerialises at the end - and the bits of snow collected on the door panels fall to the ground as the Police Box fades. An incredible attention to detail.

Aliens of London/ WW3
    It's got to be the much trailed bu still iconic bit where the Slitheen ship flies over London and crashes down onto the Big Ben Clockface with a single *BONG* Superb moment in a fairly weak story.

Si xx

Dalek

Obvious, but still sends a small shiver down my spine every time I see it (and Emma's too): The cell is dark and silent, apart from a small blue light at the far end. The Doctor apologises for Van Statten's behaviour and introduces himself. And from the dark, two more lights flash as a chillingly familiar voice haltingly says...

'Doc... torrrrr?'

Realisation and disbelief flash across the Doctor's face. 'Impossible!' he manages to say.

'THE Doc-tor?'

The cell lights flicker on, and there it is, battered, dustly, broken, but still unmistakable as it finds its voice and cries 'Exterminate! Exerminate! EXTERMINAAAAAATE!'

A truly brilliant moment.

It also happens to be followed by a little tiny moment that I really love: when it realises its gun doesn't work it turns its head and looks down at it. The Daleks have regained their mobility. Just watch the later 'classic series' stories and watch how static they are. They hardly even turn their heads, and their eyes never move, they just stick out of the front of the heads. Now they are articulated, and each movement is accompanied by an electronic motor sound.

Oh, and the rotating gun platform is the coolest new feature ever.

The Long Game - the favourite bit at Curnow Towers, unquestionably, which makes us laugh every time, is the opening pre-credits sequence, and specifically the brilliant Eccleston line, "He's your boyfriend!"

Father's Day

It has to be the moment when pete Tyler puts two and two together and realises that Rose is his Rose 'all grown up', and finally Rose can give up the pretense and let out the emotion she's feeling being with her father at last.

The Empty Child

An absolutely surprising and chilling moment at the end of episode one, just as the theme music comes in, when even Richard Wilson screams "Mummy!" And the Doctor dismisses all the empty people by telling them to go to bed. "Go on! go to bed!" For a couple of moments I thought this was silly, but then realised that they're not monsters in the usual sense, they just have a child's mentality, and would respond to a telling off.

Boom Town

'She's, um, busy today I'm afraid'

'She's climbing out of the window, isn't she?'

'Yes, she is.'

That would have been my choice too, Jason, I love the way Eccleston delivers that line.

Bad Wolf/ The Parting of the Ways
    The cliffhanger is astonishing! It was one of those "No! Don't end NOW!" moments, where we saw more Daleks on screen than ever before, where the Doctor's reaction to the Dalek was jaw droppingly cool and where we didn't quite know how it was going to end, but the build up to the next episode was so incredibly exciting!

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Bad Wolf/ The Parting of the Ways
    The cliffhanger is astonishing! It was one of those "No! Don't end NOW!" moments, where we saw more Daleks on screen than ever before
    I tried to resist this, but I just couldn't.

Having counted every Dalek seen in the end shots of Bad Wolf, I can tell you that there are in fact many more in Planet of the Daleks, and possibly The Curse of Fatal Death.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Really? I don't believe you! Looking at all those Daleks in ranks in space, I'm sure there are more there than ever seen before...

Si xx

Ah, but that scene doesn't occur until The Parting of the Ways. You were referring to everything in Doctor Who up to the end of Bad Wolf.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Yes but that includes the trailer for POTW, which I believe features said Dalek Army, no?

(We're two Si's acting as one here. We've come together. It only happens in the gravest of emergencies).

Si.

Let's call a spade a spade, the multi Daleks seen in "Planet" and "Curse" look shit.

The Daleks in Planet and Curse were talentless little ****s!

It's a frank post (C) (TM)!!!

Shit or not, they still count. It's not as if they're just empty casings.

Also, if I may drag Big Finish kicking and screaming into this debate, Return of the Daleks reveals that there were in fact 1,100,000 Daleks present on Spiridon, whilst in Bad Wolf the 9th Doctor explicitly states that there are only 500,000. So POTD still wins.

Or, if I really want to seem annoying and fannish, the end of the Time War apparently saw "ten million Dalek ships on fire", so, assuming they all had the same capacity as those seen in BW/TPOTW, that would add up to...let's see...

hmm...around twenty billion, give or take. So that means I win!

...Oh, who am I kidding?

where we saw more Daleks on screen than ever before
    I think, without straining the point, you see about 100 rolykins in Planet of the Daleks, and literally thousands of CGI ones in Bad Wolf. I could write a short story tomorrow and say that there were 9.1 billion Daleks in Power of the Daleks, but it wouldn't mean anyone could see them.

Quote Originally Posted by shada pavlova View Post
    Also, if I may drag Big Finish kicking and screaming into this debate,
    Why would you drag an audio adventure into a debate about something seen on screen? Who cares what a Big Finish story written 30 years later says when we're talking about what was seen?

Return of the Daleks reveals that there were in fact 1,100,000 Daleks present on Spiridon, whilst in Bad Wolf the 9th Doctor explicitly states that there are only 500,000. So POTD still wins.
    Except we never saw the million or so Daleks in Planet of the Daleks, whereas we do clearly see ranks and ranks of Daleks even in the final shot of Bad Wolf, as heaven knows how many chant 'Exterminate' as the music rolls in.

It was the last shot I was thinking of, specifically.

Anyway, is someone going to do The Christmas Invasion then?

Si xx

Well I just love the start, with the TARDIS spinning like a skittle off the houses and cars as it falls to Earth! At the time this was the first proper interesting thing they'd done with the TARDIS and CGI and it was wonderful to see in trailers. And then Tennant literally falls out being wonderfully Doctorey. It's quite like McCoy's 'waking up' scene in "Time and the Rani", but of course you wouldn't say that in polite conversation.
    "Oh yes... Merry Christmas! *grin*"

Si.