Thread: Magic Moments

The Eleventh Hour.

two magic moments from this episode
    Matt had pretty much nailed the part for me the moment hesaid to little Amy "trust me I'm The Doctor" but he completely won me over towards the end when he stepped through the face of David Tennent fully clothed saying "Hello, I'm the Doctor - basicly run".

Time of the Angles

The Doctor, has given some truely memerable speeches down the years but few can compare with Matt's "never put me in a trap" absolutel poetry in motion.

We appear to be Missing The Beast Below, which at least had the promise of Daleks next week at the end of the episode.

Victory of the Daleks

Matt, with a mouthful of Jammie Dodger, complaining he hasn't been given any tea.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

The Beast Below

Matt Smith's 'no-one human has anything to say to me today!' was brilliant, but I also enjoyed his explaining to Amy about the significance of a child crying and no-one reacting to it, showing that they know what made her cry but it isn't talked about.

Victory of the Daleks

The scene where the Doctor beats up a Dalek and it says 'please desist from striking me', which is followed by a moment of brilliant direction as he shouts 'I am the Doctor, you are the Daleks!' and the Dalek, which he has just kicked across the room, looks at him for a brief second before saying simply 'Correct.' That is the second that makes you think 'uh-oh, now he's done it', and I love it.

Sadly, the episode turned to crap from that moment on....

Time of the Angels/ Flesh and Stone
    I really enjoyed the scene with River Song flying the TARDIS better than the Doctor. It was really reminscent of Mary Tamm's Romana in The Pirate Planet. "They're blue boringers!"

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

The Vampires of Venice

"Mouth talking; brain thinking; hush." Repeat, with hands.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Amy's Choice
    I love the bit where we see the icy TARDIS interior for the first time. It looks all magical and spooky.

Si xx

The Hungry Earth

I just love the bit with the Doctor and the boy when they are planning to wire up the village. The Doctor is a childhood hero to so many, so it's surprising to realise how little he actually interacts with children at all in the series. This moment is perfect. Even when they could be in dire peril the Doctor is cheerful and encouraging, giving him an important job and reassuring him when he expresses his lack of confidence over a bit of dyslexia. 'Well that's all right, I can't make a decent meringue' is just such a Doctor-ish way to say 'well no-one's perfect so it doesn't matter if you can't do xyz'.

Vincent and the Doctor

So very many in this masterpiece, so I'm going to choose perhaps a surprising one.

Dr Black's gushing speech about Vincent at the end. After all, that's how we feel about Doctor Who, isn't it?

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

I hate to leave things unfinished, so after something of a hiatus...

The Lodger

This episode always makes me laugh a lot, but I'm going to plump for my favourite moment as being the Doctor talking on the phone, and stopping for a biscuit.

To recap, since it was a loooong time ago this thread was started, our ongoing mission is to seek out new worlds, and new civilisations, to boldl-- No, hold on, no it's not. Sorry. Our ongoing mission, for reasons unlikely to become clear again at the moment, is to single out a 'magic (aka favourite) moment' from each & every Doctor Who story. And, obviously, to discuss and disagree about our choices.

When this thread was started in March 2009, we hadn't even had Planet of the Dead!!

And Andrew's current mission is to breath life into once-popular threads.

And why not!

I'll have to pass as this wasn't one of my favourites at all. Anybody...?

I'm struggling here too, simply because it's also a period where I struggled with the series in general. I can't even remember that particular scene...

...Sorry, Andrew!!!

The Pandorica Opens/ The Big Bang

Got to be Matt's freewheeling speech to all the spacecraft above him. Really good!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    The Pandorica Opens/ The Big Bang

Got to be Matt's freewheeling speech to all the spacecraft above him. Really good!
    For a story I realy disliked, the only MM for me was the headless cyberman head (as it were)
    Bazinga !

How bizarre, Claudia & I were talking about that this afternoon. Their last 'assessment' for her Drama Course is a monologue, and she said that one of the boys in her group wanted to do some speech from Lord of the Rings - the teacher said no, it had to be from a play rather than film or TV... to which I said, that was a shame, because somebody could have done the Doctor's "Who's gonna take it from me?" speech from The Pandorica Opens.

The Pandorica opening to reveal Amy Pond might be my magic moment, but truthfully it's two episodes worth of them....

Love this exchange too...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster. Or a warrior. A nameless, terrible thing soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it or... reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
    Amy: How did it end up in there?
    The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
    River: I hate good wizards in fairy tales. They always turn out to be him.

“If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

The Doctor talking to young Amelia before his imminent demise is also really, really lovely.

It's a story full of great moments - there's also all that nonsense with the fez, which at the time had us hooting with laughter here. I think it's that slightly defensive way he says, "I wear a fez now...".

And, if we can have yet another moment, I think Matt is just superb when he's in the Pandorica, kind of nearly dead, but saying goodbye to Amy before he flies off - telling her, in effect, to wish really hard for her parents to be alive again, and they will be. Such a great Doctor.

Great to see this thread revived' So...

A Christmas Carol

The moment near the end where Kazran Sardick vents his anger at the Doctor, whose plan to change his life for the better has made him more twisted than ever by breaking his heart, by trapping the one person he ever loved in her last day of life, knowing that the next time he brings her out of cryostasis will be the last he ever sees of her. He tells the Doctor he just doesn't care about the people on the crashing spaceship who are going to die. When the Doctor says he doesn't believe that, Sardick challenges him to show him the future and prove him wrong.

"I am showing it to you. I'm showing it to you right now"

Sardick turns and the camera moves so we see that behind him is his younger self, appalled at the person he is going to become, as heartless and cold as his own father was...

The first appearance of the flying sharks. (All i remember of the episode since this was about the time I decided I was so bored with it I switched off... )

I'm with Jason, that's exactly the moment I'd have chosen - it's probably my favourite Christmas episode, and it just has such an extraordinary 'atmosphere' to it. Michael Gambon is superb throughout, and of course so is Matt. And Amy's in a policewoman's outfit...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    And Amy's in a policewoman's outfit...
    Is she? I hadn't noticed...

Ahem, moving on swiftly.

The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon

One from each episode if I may. I always liked the scene in the oval office with the overzealous security guard blathering on about protocol, and Canton's line:

"Mister President, that man walked in here with a big blue box and three of his friends, and that's the man he walked past. One of them's worth listening to."

But for me the best moment is the scene in the Silence's lair where the Doctor pulls out the TV, on which we can see Neil Arsmtrong coming down the LM ladder.

"A bit of history for you. Aren't you proud? Because you helped. Now, do you know how many people are watching this live on the telly? Half a billion. And that's nothing, because the human race will spread out among the stars. You just watch them fly. Billions and billions of them, for billions and billions of years, and every single one of them at some point in their lives, will look back at this man, taking that very first step, and they will never, ever forget it. "

And then the whole plan comes together as the video clip of a Silence saying "You should kill us all on sight" is inserted into Armstrong's 'one small step' speech. Loved the idea of using one of my favourite bits of iconic historical footage as a major plot development and seeing the monster undone by the very characteristic that allowed them to be such an insidious presence in human history for so long.

(Of course we don't ask why Amy, Rory or Clara did not attempt to kill the Silence they saw as it seems stupendously unlikely that they never saw that footage themselves at any point before the Doctor picked them up....)

Excellent choice - although my favourite moment watching Day of the Moon was when the guy running the orphanage opens the door, and I thought to myself, "If he was still alive, Cyril Shaps would be doing that part."

Maybe Mr McCow would like to select one of his favourite moments from the next story...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Excellent choice - although my favourite moment watching Day of the Moon was when the guy running the orphanage opens the door, and I thought to myself, "If he was still alive, Cyril Shaps would be doing that part."

Maybe Mr McCow would like to select one of his favourite moments from the next story...
    The end titles probably!