Thread: Magic Moments

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Oh go on then...

Monster of Peladon
    I love watching Pertwee work the controls of the Aggedor machine. He does it with real style and panache- opewrating both levers with opposite hands in a way that Donald Gee just can't manage.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I can't help as I've not seen it, believe it or not! and noone else seems to want a go, so...

Planet of The Spiders

John Kane's acting in both "incarnations" of Tommy. If nobody was willing to hire him after this performance, no wonder he went into writing.

I love the bit in Robot where Harry confronts the as yet unsable Doctor who seems hell bent on getting away in the TARDIS.
    The Doctor's mentality is already shaken, but when he picks up a skipping rope and starts to wind it around his hands you begin to think he means to do Harry harm with it, instead he begins to skip, bringing Harry in with him while reciting a children's skipping rhyme. "Mother, mother I feel sick, send for the doctor quick, quick, quick" Both actor's timing in this scene is impeccable.

Robot also contains one of my all time favourites, and oft quoted lines, "What's the point of being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes"

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morgan View Post
    Robot also contains one of my all time favourites, and oft quoted lines, "What's the point of being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes"
    Always heard in this household at least once a week.

Onto Ant C's favourite story, but he's admiring Slartibartfast's handiwork for a week or so I believe, so...

The Ark in Space - my favourite moment in this, perhaps oddly, is the scene in part 3 where the Doctor is planning to try and revive the dying images from the Wirrn's mind. "Gypsies believe that the eye retained its last image after death," he says, "Not so far wrong".

It's not a huge showy moment, but Tom is just so totally natural and at home in the role already by that point, that it's always stuck in my mind. Not to mention, he's utterly compelling.

The "humanity" speech is also a magic moment in Ark in Space too I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Onto Ant C's favourite story, but he's admiring Slartibartfast's handiwork for a week or so I believe, so...
    And I defy our critics to read something into that!

The entire first episode's a corker. The regulars manage to carry off the small matter of their being the only cast with aplomb.

Have you noticed the bit where Sarah's unconcious on that bench? As Harry goes to pick her up he subtly smoothes her skirt down over her knees so we don't see her knickers.

He's a true gentleman that Harry!

Si xx

I also like the Doctor's line to Harry: "You're improving... It's all down to my influence of course, you mustn't take any of the credit." Brilliant!

It's quite a corny sequence, but I love the bit where Harry and the Doctor are trapped under the table - I love the logic, and the comedy, and the look on Tom's face at one point like Ian Marter's just farted
    Bazinga !

Pip Madeley Guest

The Sontaran Experiment

Harry : "Doctor! I thought you were dead."

The Doctor : "Not me" [He holds up a piece of metal.] "Piece of the synestic locking mechanism from Nerva's rocket - popped it in my pocket."

Harry : "'Fortuitous"

The Doctor : "Foresight. You never know when these bits and pieces will come in handy. Never throw anything away, Harry." [He throws it away.] "Now, where's my five hundred year diary. I remember jotting some notes on the Sontarans... It's a mistake to clutter one's pockets, Harry."
    So Doctorish.

As is the marvellous Cuckoo Clock speech in part 1.

Si xx

Quick throwback to The Ark In Space...

"Goodbye...Vira..."

Just love it, and is the first thing that came to mind.

Carry on...

Sontaran experiment - enjoyable for the wrong reason is Styre's head deflating.

Genesis of the Daleks - it's one of the greats, so take your pick! For me it's the tense scene in part 2 where Davros first demonstrates his 'mark three travel machine' to the assembled elite, as well as the Doctor & Harry. It's such a superbly done little scene, and Michael Wisher as Davros makes it so 'real'. As he says, "I am now going to turn the machine over to total self control... a living - thinking - self supporting creature" both his delivery & Dudley's top-drawer incidentals build the tension up. The Doctor's had Dalek guns pointed at him before & since, but never is it so tense as here. Absolutely brilliant.

Pip Madeley Guest

The end of episode five when the Doctor is surprised by a Kaled mutant intent on strangling our hero to death. A magic moment that was ad libbed on the night of recording - well done David Maloney and co!

I don't think it's a greatly directed story, but it's got some cracking dialogue. I've always like the "No tea, Harry" exchange. Also Davros' final plea "Have PITY!" is great, swiftly followed as it is by the realisation that he's not bothered to programme the Daleks with any recognition of the word...

Si.

Genesis is full of great moments. As is customary, I shall offer up my magic moment from this story as the one that never made it to screen but was on the LP version: the cliffhanger between the two sides: 'I sent Harry and Sarah in there'.

Oh, and Davros's final scream is one of the best in the entire show's history.

Revenge of the Cybermen

I love the third cliffhanger with the rockfall. It's quite well done for a fake rockfall and the way the actors tumble about is quite convincing- so much so that I was sure that was the end of the episode. It came as a shock that the actual cliffhanger was Harry reaching down to open the Doctor's harness. The pay off with "HARRY SULLIVAN IS AN IMBECILE!" is rather good of course too!

Si xx

A bit obscure perhaps, but my favourite moment of Revenge is the very start of the opening titles. Only because that being, of course, the first DW video we ever bought, in about 1988, it was the first time I'd seen the Tom titles since they'd been discontinued in 1979 - in the intervening years I'd totally forgotten about the very start, with those two thin strips on either side, so when I saw them again for the first time on the Revenge video, it was a real 'tingle up the spine' moment. I've seen them so many times on so many stories since, that they can never have that power again, which is a bit sad really.

I know exactly what you mean Andrew. My parents got cross on Christmas morning 1986 when I got to the end of the titles and promptly rewound the video and watched them again. They just didn't understand!

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    A bit obscure perhaps, but my favourite moment of Revenge is the very start of the opening titles. Only because that being, of course, the first DW video we ever bought, in about 1988, it was the first time I'd seen the Tom titles since they'd been discontinued in 1979 - in the intervening years I'd totally forgotten about the very start, with those two thin strips on either side, so when I saw them again for the first time on the Revenge video, it was a real 'tingle up the spine' moment. I've seen them so many times on so many stories since, that they can never have that power again, which is a bit sad really.
    Do you know exactly the same thing happened with me. I had totally forgotten about those thin strips at the side too. It was only when I rented the VHS of Robots of Death (a few months before I purchased my first Doctor Who VHS tape, which was Death to the Daleks) that I first saw them again, and it had the same effect on me too

My word....are we actually agreeing on something in connection with Doctor Who title sequences?

My word....are we actually agreeing on something in connection with Doctor Who title sequences?
    I'm pretty sure that's one of the signs of the end of the world. Doom, pestilence, plague, and title sequence agreement between the PS Andrews.

I really like all the on location bits in Terror of the Zygons. They really give a mysterious and otherworldly atmosphere to the production.

Plus what Liz Sladen wears in TOTZ.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?