Thread: Magic Moments

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Magic Moments

No, not a thread devoted to Perry Como (or indeed to Quality Street chocolates), so sorry to disappoint. This week's DWM reveals that their next 'special' mag will be listing various DW luminaries' favourite moments from each of the 200* stories up to & including Planet of the Dead.

So, although we've probably touched on this sort of thing before, could we at PS put together out own list. Simple enough - you post your favourite moment from the next story along until we get to the end!! What could be easier! Plus obviously any comments on people's choices so far would be interesting I'm sure.

I'll leave somebody else to the first story, but as a prequel, my favourite moment from Doctor Who trailers over the years would be the first few seconds of the 2005 "Do you wanna come with me?" trailer. The first time I saw it I didn't know it was coming on, and suddenly Christopher Eccleston's face was bang! right there on screen, and it took me just a second or two to realise what I was watching, and that really, it really was coming back!!! Fantastic!!

So now, back to 1963 for our next poster...

*According to certain sources anyway (see DWM for more details). Let's not worry about it too much though, as I really think we should include the season 17 Shada.

From An Unearthly Child:

There are many magical scenes in this story- obvious ones like the first glimpse of the TARDIS and the like, but for me, my favourite moment comes later in the story. I think it's in part 3 where they're escaping from the tribe and they hear a noise in the wood and suddenly it all becomes completely overwhelming for Barbara. She turns hysterical for a moment, unable to cope with the extraordinary situation she's in.
    It's a frighteningly real reaction to the culture shock she must be feeling and is all the scarier for it- especially coming to it after years of watching companions take everything in their stride. It just goes to show how on the ball the original writers were and what a great actress Jackie Hill was.

So The Daleks next then...
    Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I fear this thread may come a cropper on the third story!

Si.

Not with me participating, it won't!

The Daleks:

Maybe it ought to be the first cliffhanger, or the first full appearance of the Daleks, but I'm not going for that. My favourite moment from the first Dalek story comes right at the end, when the Doctor is discussing the future with the Thals. Having been almost actively unpleasant in the first story, by the end of the second a combination of 'softer' writing and some very sure and decisive acting from William Hartnell has already made the Doctor much more likable. "You want advice," the Doctor says to the Thals, "I never give it, never. But I might just say this - always search for truth. Your truth, is here. My truth is in the stars." Only two stories in, and Hartnell/The Doctor is just magical. The Daleks may have boosted the ratings and made the show a success, but Hartnell's title character is what got them watching week after week.

So that would be Ant's cue for story three...

always search for truth. Your truth, is here. My truth is in the stars.
    Isn't that advice though?

Si.

Quiet you!

My favourite bit from The Edge of Destruction is...

um...

err...

I think I'll pass this one on.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

I've always taken it as a 'gag' in that he clearly is giving advice!!

I love the bit at the end of The Edge of Destruction when The Doctor apologises to Barbara - it's a lovely little scene and is superbly played by both of them.

My favorite bit in Edge of Destruction is the end, when, after all the travellers have just gone through, they appear at The Top of The World, and emerge into clear fresh mountain air. the look relieved to be free of the claustrobic atmosphere in the TARDIS.
    I've a couple of favourite bits in Marco Polo, one being the Doctor and The Khan sympathising about each others ills. But one of the more menacing things in the story comes from Tegana wh, while searching for the oasis finds it and turns back towards the caravan and taunts the travellers with cries of "Here's water Marco Polo, come and fetch it" while pouring it away into the sand. Unfortunately we only have a few pics and the soundtrack, but if we could only see this bit, I'm sure it would have a quite visual impact.

In The Keys of Marinus, they land on a beach on an island. They potter about for ages, looking at the acid sea and the empty wetsuits and then...

LOOK AT THAT FANTASTIC BUILDING!!!!!!

The line comes out of nowhere, but the building is huge. I'm not being kitsch, I really love that bit. OK. I'm being kitsch. But it's still great.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Now the magic moment from The Aztecs really has to be the obvious one- the conversation between the Doctor and Barbara about changing history. It's brilliant- excellently acted with great conviction from both Hartnell and Hill and a scene that really emphasises the approach the show took in its first year. It's almost chilling when at the end Barbara turns away and says "Not Barbara, Yetaxa." as she hasn't taken on board anything he's told her and we know it's going to end in tragedy. Superb.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'm not doing "The Reign of Terror". I keep checking this thread but every time the next story doing is a crappun I know nothing about!!

Si.

It does have Hartnell in a hat though!

Anyway, who fancies The Sensorites?

The cliffhangers at the end of parts 3 and 4 are particularly good, I think.
    Last edited by shada pavlova; 8th Mar 2009 at 8:48 PM.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Come on, I've never managed to get that far without falling into a coma - what are the cliffhangers? (And are they really better than part 1's?)

These are the cliffhangers:

Part 1: "The whistling sound of the approaching Sensorite ships stops and Carol can sense the creatures all around. As the travellers wait apprehensively, it is Ian who first sees the shape of a Sensorite pressed against the ship's viewing port."

Part 2: "The Sensorites telepathically contact Susan and she accedes to their request. Telling the Doctor and the others to stay where they are, she opens the control room hatch and reveals two of the alien creatures waiting for her beyond. She explains that she has agreed to go with them down to their planet. She leaves with them and they close the hatch behind them."

Part 3: "Having drunk some of the aqueduct water provided by the Sensorite leader, Ian quickly falls sick and starts choking. He collapses to the floor and the First Elder sadly confirms that there is no hope; Ian is dying."

Part 4: "The Doctor goes to the aqueduct in the hope of finding the cause of the poisoning and finds some deadly nightshade. He looks up as a low animal growl sounds in the darkness."

Part 5: "Carol is on her way to see what is keeping the Doctor and Ian. Suddenly a hand is clamped over her mouth and she is dragged away."

So now you know.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

I certainly do! Personally I'd have said the part 1 & 2 cliffhangers are better than the others. But anyway...

I'm sure Si said he wanted to do The Reign of Terror, which is up next!

Such is the esteem of The Sensorites that we can all remember the cliffhangers without a bit of prompting.

Well, I can. Dunno about you lot.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

I can remember the episode titles to The Gunfighters, if that's any help.

Does nobody like The Reign of Terror?

I doubt if any of us have ever even seen it.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by shada pavlova View Post
    I doubt if any of us have ever even seen it.

OH! Yes we have.

I just keep thinking of Dennis Spooner's W.