Thread: Magic Moments

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Never has a tea tray been utilised so well in a Doctor Who story than in The Moonbase.

"There are no such thing as Macra!" And the workers simply believe and obey. Disconcerting and scary. But good.

And can I count the claw on the time scanner at the end of The Moonbase?
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Disconcerting and scary as you say.
    I like the way the colony is duped, hypnotised into working for the Macra. They insidiously worm their way into the minds of the colony. It's themes that would be worked into many sixties shows, including The Prisoner and The Avengers, two of the most surreal shows of the era.

Someone must have a 'Facelss Ones' magic moment, surely?

I do!

I love the bit where the Doctor, Ben and Jamie are evading the airport security and they hide in the photo booth and have lots of silly shots taken. It's a lovcely Troughton era moment.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Plus virtually any scene with Colin Gordon in it, he's superb!

Anyway, on to The Evil of the Daleks. My favourite moment is the bit in part 2 where the Doctor gets Jamie to measure out the length of the hallway, and thus establishes there's a hidden room. It's not a very original idea, but I just love the flash of rational investigation (I like the similar scene with Romana in City of Death too) coming from the Doctor.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Andrew, it goes back at least as far as the Sherlock Holmes story 'The Norwood Builder' although I don't have my annotated Holmes to hand to see if there's anything before that.

As far as The Tomb of the Cybermen goes, I'd nominate the opening titles of the first episode, just because it's something nobody in their right minds thought for years that they'd ever see.

I think we'd all agree the Cybermen awakening and emerging from their tombs is magical. Certainly for me anyway as it's my strongest memory of a Troughton episode. It was great to see it again when the VHS came out after the story's rediscovery.

The bit at the end of part 2 when the Cyber Controller says "You belong to us. You will become like us". Gives me chills every time.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Andrew, it goes back at least as far as the Sherlock Holmes story 'The Norwood Builder'
    That's interesting Ian - I kinda guessed that it wasn't a David Whitaker original invention, but I had no idea it was as 'old' as that. Either way, I like the scene!!

I like the moment when the Doctor's face falls when Maxtible mentions static electricity, after which, it's only a matter of time...

The Abominable Snowman is up next, and my magic moment in that is the scene in part 2 where Thomni is summoned in to see Padmasambhva (sp?). The voice of the Abbot is just so creepy, and in fact the scene plays even more scarily on the old Troughton Years VHS, when it was a murky, crackly old filmprint, rather than the wonderfully-restored version on Lost in Time. It's just a moment I find tremendously atmospheric, and I always think it's just the sort of thing that would have given kids the hoopy-zootics back in 1967!!

The Ice Warriors next, and an odd little one. It's the moment when Victoria tells the Doctor the Ice Warriors have shot Jamie. Troughton's response is just perfect, and beautifully conveys the moment when the Doctor forgets the big picture because he's just been told someone he really cares about might be dead or wounded.

The Enemy Of The World then. For me it's Benik going into Kent's mobile home, smashing everything up and being so damn nasty.

Web of Fear
    I love the scene where Lethbridge-Stewart gives up, tired and scared. It's far from the Brig we come to know later on who never seems defeated or dazed by the things he sees. Here he's frightened and real- out of his depth and relying on people he barely knows. And is all the more sympathetic for it.

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

Fury From The Deep

So many magic moments in this story, some obvious and some not so obvious. The one moment that always sticks in my mind though is the end of episode three. Poor Maggie Harris. Stung by seaweed, her body and mind overcome in a frightening attack by two possessed men, covered in foam and weed... she is forced to drag herself out into the cold, uninviting sea and drown herself.

And all the while, Chief Robson, once a raging man at the edge of his sanity, stands calm and still. Completely motionless.

Scary, thrilling, unforgettable. I just wish it existed for us to see.

The Wheel In Space

Episode 6, and a broken Jarvis Bennett, driven by the sight of Gemma Corwyn lying dead on the viewscreen, heads out on his own. Midway through a conversation via the viewscreen a Cyberman appears and an enraged Jarvis tries to take it on single handed. As the others can only watch, the Cyberman picks him up and hurls him to the ground and then, as he lies prone and unconscious, fires the weapon in its chest unit to kill him.

Admittedly the Cybermen don't look their best in this tale, but this little scene shows just how strong and ruthless they are. Jarvis is out for the count, no longer a threat, but the Cyberman kills him anyway just because it can.

The Dominators

It has to be the part where the Doctor and Jamie are pretending to be stupid, particularly when Jamie's asked "Do you think you can do that?"

Pip Madeley Guest

The Mind Robber

Zoe's arse.

Magic.

Pip, when you're right you're right.

The Invasion

My god, where to start?

Brilliant music, Kevin Stoney is chillingly good, Cybermen in the Sewers, Cybermen coming out of the sewers, the Brigadier, Benton, and so much more.

The only bad thing is that the helicopter rescue sequence in episode 4 would have been so much better to see in live-action.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Pip Madeley Guest

The Krotons

Zoe in PVC.

Come on, that's what most of you were thinking. And it's not like there's much else worth talking about.

Pah! The best bit of The Krotons is obviously the Doctor on the Teaching Machine scene, which is a joy to watch.

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

I tend to forget scenes that Zoe isn't in.

She's in that one you nit!

Si xx