Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Stone Roses reform. Not really. Again! It's Happening Though!

At least 21 gigs have been planned for the UK and there are talks of a US date – possibly the Coachella Festival in California. The gigs will coincide with the re-release of the band’s self-titled debut album.

It first came out on March 13, 1989 and shot them to fame with hits including I Wanna Be Adored and I Am The Resurrection. It is regularly voted best album ever.

Singer Ian Brown, who has a solo career, was the only one not sure about re-forming. But he was persuaded by guitarist John Squire, bassist Mani and drummer Reni. A source said: “It’s taken a lot of time to get Ian to agree but he’s finally signed on the dotted line.

“The rest of the band were really up for it, especially when they realised the amount of money on the table.” Squire, who designed the album’s iconic cover, quit in 1996 amid rows with Ian. The pair are rumoured never to have spoken since.

Reni left the year before and Mani plays bass for Primal Scream, who he joined in 1996.

Last year Mani said he would love to do a reunion “before we are all fat and bald”.
    Point One - This should never happen.
    Point Two - The Stone Roses were notoriously awful live.
    Point Three - They will all make a shedload of money, even if they are awful.

The report was from The Mirror, so may be completely untrue. Ian Brown could still change his mind, he at least has managed to have a half-way successful solo career.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

But I also read this:

A spokesperson for former Stone Roses frontman Ian Brown has denied recent reports that the band will reform this summer for a number of live shows.

Earlier today, it was claimed that the band would return to the stage for the first time since their split in 1996, but a representative of Brown told the Daily Mail that this was not the case.

The spokesperson said: "We know nothing about a reunion. Ian is working on his new studio album which is due out later this year."

The band's self-titled debut album is being re-released this summer to mark its 20th anniversary.

Who's right? I think Si's report may be the more truthful of the two.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Nothing's impossible where wads of cash are involved, but I'd be very surprised if this were true. I'm fairly sure that Brown & Squire really don't get on at all.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

John Squire, who must have been at least good enough to carry Ian Brown, has said he's having too much fun from exhibitions of his paintings and has an exhibition in the summer.
    Ian Brown is working on a new album to be released this year.
    Excellent way of getting publicity for the two events AND filling up newspapers!

"When Ian was stoned he was half the time a tuneless ape and half the time paranoid idiot!" John Squire.

John Squire is celebrating the non-reunion with a new piece of art, according to Uncut Magazine.
    John Squire has created a new piece of artwork to declare his feelings on the rumours, earlier this week, that the Stone Roses were to reform for a 21-date UK tour.

The guitarist-turned-artist has created the work, called 'Statement' pictured above, in response to the rumours. It simply states:

"I have no desire whatsoever to desecrate the grave of seminal Manchester pop group The Stone Roses, 12.3.09."

Squire's biggest exhibition so far is to open on July 5 at the Gallery in Oldham.

More information is available here: www.Johnsquire.com
    That sounds pretty final to me!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Who's right?
    There's only one way to find out.....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

This rumour is BACK BACK BACK!

The Stone Roses are finally set to reunite this year – according to one newspaper report.

The Sun reports that singer Ian Brown and guitarist John Squire have "buried the hatched", paving the way for a comeback later in the year.

The newspaper claims that the pair made up at the funeral of bassist Mani's mother recently.

A source is quoted as saying: "It was an emotional reunion. There were no harsh words. It was a heartwarming breaking of bread. They had a lot to catch up on and have been in regular contact since."

A "megabucks reunion" is supposedly on the cards now, if the trio can convince drummer Reni to get on board.

Although rumours of the Manchester baggy legends reuniting have cropped up many times over the years, Brown and Squire have always quashed them. Mani, meanwhile, has spoken positively about wanting to reunite.

The Stone Roses split in 1996 after releasing two albums. Brown has pursued a solo career since while Squire has moved into painting. Mani currently plays in Primal Scream.
    Don't believe a word of it!

New rumours about The Stone Roses possibly reforming in 2011 have been quashed by bassist Mani.

This morning (April 7) a UK tabloid newspaper claimed that the band, who split in 1996, were set to get back together for gigs this year.

The report was based on singer Ian Brown and John Squire recently meeting again for what is believed to be the first time since the split. Now Mani has told NME that reports of a band reunion are false.

"I'm disgusted that my personal grief has been invaded and hijacked by these nonsensical stories," he said, referring to the fact that Brown and Squire met up at his mother's funeral.

He added: "Two old friends meeting up after 15 years to pay their respects to my mother does not constitute the reformation of The Stone Roses. Please f*** off and leave it alone. It isn't true and isn't happening."
    I hope you didn't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I hope you didn't believe it.
    Well no, but I am really saddened to hear how the music press latched onto this and can understand Mani's grief and anger.
    And yet most music magazines will sneer and joke about tabloid papers and yet there they are using the same tactics?

for the press.

for Mani.

Get the dancers BACK ON!

One of the most eagerly anticipated reunions in rock music looks to be on the cards after rumours grew that the Stone Roses are getting back together.

The Mancunian band, who fell apart in 1996 after legal wrangles and internal rows, are expected to announce a comeback tour at a press conference on Tuesday.

Their self-titled first album, released in 1989, is widely seen as one of the greatest debuts of all time.

Invitations have been sent out to journalists for "a special press conference for a very important announcement" at a Soho hotel on Tuesday.

It'd be great of they called the press conference just to say they're not doing it and never doing it!

It'd make sense, though... Ian Brown's solo career isn't really going anywhere right now...

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

He hasn't been doing too bad! He's had a few killer singles, (F.E.A.R., Stellify) and several well-selling albums. Not top of the world, but certainly respectable.

The reunion would be awful though. So wrong. Even of they did a series of great concerts it would be a horrible mistake.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk

Even of they did a series of great concerts it would be a horrible mistake.
    Surely it wouldn't though, as the fans would be happy and they'd make lots of money.

Si.

But by all accounts they *hate* each other. They had that rock n' roll attitude, they were massively anti-corporate anarchists etc... the spirit of what they did would be ruined and there's no point without spirit.

They had a glorious summer and I think that any attempt to re-visit that would ruin the memory of that time.

With other bands, I don't mind so much. But for The Stone Roses, it's simply wrong. Like if Bob Dylan went on tour with Steps. They'd sell lots of tickets, but it's wrong!

Everyone I know who saw them at the time said they were rubbish live.

I would LOVE to see Bob Dylan and Steps. He'd make "Tragedy" his own.

Si.

I'm sure Steps could make "Desolation Row" into a #1 hit.

Ian Brown has reportedly confirmed that the much talked about reunion of The Stone Roses is definitely taking place.

According to The Sun this morning (October 17), magician Dynamo, who is a close friend of Brown, showed the paper's journalist a text message from the singer about the reunion, which said: "We are going to rule the world again. It's happening."

Rumours of a reunion flared up on Friday (October 14), with a major music publicist refusing to confirm or deny that a planned announcement on Tuesday (October 18) would indeed be declaring the band's return. It follows news breaking last April that singer Ian Brown and guitarist John Squire had met up for what was thought to be the first time since the band's 1996 split.

The band's former drummer Alan 'Reni' Wren contacted NME on Friday to deny reports that he was involved, but according to the Sun that is a "red herring" and he is very much involved in the reunion plans.

According to the tabloid's report, Elbow's Guy Garvey has also confirmed the reunion, with a source telling the paper: "Guy was talking to friends about how the original line-up had been rehearsing over the summer in Manchester."

If Friday's rumours are to be believed, plans for The Stone Roses reunion will include a large scale show in Manchester's Heaton Park next summer.
    Well, if magician 'Dynamo' says it's happening, then it's happening.

It's definitely on - tour AND new album. The thought of the former was a bit ... meh now everyone's too old to take the requisite drugs to make a Stone Roses gig enjoyable, but the latter is GENUINELY EXCITING NEWS.

http://louderthanwar.com/featured/st...-album-as-well

Quote Originally Posted by John Robb
    The Stone Roses are definitely reforming and Reni will be playing drums.

The drummer’s cryptic comment that was only sent to Louder Than War and to the NME was intended as a red herring and he is back on drums.

An insider to the band, who have been rehearsing in Manchester all summer- which we had heard about but couldn’t say anything about, also told us that there was new material and there will be a third album which would be their first release since the ‘Second Coming’.

There is still speculation where the band will be playing, Heaton Park is a possibility but it would fit the tradition of the band to play an off the wall location.

We received a text from Ian Brown on Friday confirming the reformation and sounding very upbeat about the return of the band.

All should be revealed at the London press conference tomorrow that we will all be attending.

My god, they're going to inflict another album on us as well! As if the Second Coming wasn't bad enough....

And thanks to modern hip indie crowds #SINGING THE WORRRRRDSSS TO EVERRRY SOONNNNNNNG" at gigs then that means Ian Brown's vocals will be drowned out!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    He hasn't been doing too bad! He's had a few killer singles, (F.E.A.R., Stellify) and several well-selling albums. Not top of the world, but certainly respectable.

The reunion would be awful though. So wrong. Even of they did a series of great concerts it would be a horrible mistake.
    Oh, don't get me wrong - I like his solo stuff, but other than Stellify, the other singles from his last album flopped, and the album merely got average reviews from a lot of the critics.

He'd most likely make more money out of even one Stone Roses reunion tour than his last few solo albums made.

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

The Stone Roses have announced their reunion with live shows and the promise of new songs.

Band members had long dismissed talk of ever getting back together after falling apart in 1996.

But they have buried their differences and announced hometown shows at Manchester's Heaton Park next summer, plus further dates around the world.

Guitarist John Squire said he and singer Ian Brown had met at the funeral of bass player Gary 'Mani' Mounfield's mother.

"When me and Ian met by chance it changed everything. In some ways it felt like 15 years ago was yesterday," he said.

Ian said: "Our plan is to take on the world."
    Well, there we are...