View Poll Results: Which is the best story?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Edge of Destruction

3 23.08%
  • Whispers of Terror

2 15.38%
  • The Unquiet Dead

8 61.54%

Default The Three Doctor Whos - Part 3

Apart from having forgotten to do it, there is literally no explanation for the appalling delay (some say gap) between chapters two and three of this epic adventure. And what a compendium of adventures it is this week.

Edge of Destruction vs Whispers of Terror vs The Unquiet Dead

Four go mad in the Tardis vs the other invisible enemy vs DICKENS~!

Which kept the momentum going after the first two outings? Which felt like the series was running out of steam? Which was the best third story? And why.

(To recap, I want to compare the development of the Classic Series, the audio plays and the New Series story by story. It's one thing to cherry pick tales which prove your point, it's another to make direct comparisons as to how the different series developed.)
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Edge of Destruction is a rubbish story saved by the superb perfomrance by Jackie Hill.

Whispers of Terror is a fine BF story and one I look back on nostalgically for its wonderful atmosphere and for doing an a monsytter they could really do justice on audio.

The Unquiet Dead was a triumph. And is my favourite of these three.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I've never heard Whispers of Terror (except when I was dating Snakewoman briefly many years ago) so I can't comment on that.

Edge of Destruction is a brave choice for third story in an educational adventure series, since it spends much of its running time being neither educational nor particularly adventure-y. That said, I think the regulars all do very well with what they've got, but there is a feeling to it, particularly in the first half, that they haven't been told what to do properly. It's watchable enough, and was probably pretty scary in 1964, but the resolution just doesn't work at all. Nor Susan's stupidity in not understanding it until the Doctor explains.

On the other hand, The Unquiet Dead (as well as giving us "For shame" which I often use in conversation) is a real delight. Perfect casting as Dickens, some great set pieces (the seance and, especially, the cab scene), some laughs & some thrills & some spills. The interplay between the Doctor and Dickens is fascinating (I love the bit where the Doctor apologises for telling him to shut up) and the last scene shows off the range of the Ninth Doctor beautifully ("Forever"). Just gorgeous.

Er, so that's a vote for TUD obviously!

Edge of Destruction is an OK if brave story & gets more than its fair share of unwarranted abuse, but it's third in this company.
    Whispers of Terror is a brilliant story that has you guessing until the end & introduces a unique 'monster'.
    The Unquiet Dead is a fantastic episode &, for me, is the in the top 3 of the season, if not the best story of the season.

So to the vote, although I know The Unquiet Dead is probably the best story hear I'm going for Whispers of Terror for shear nostalgia...and because I suspect TUD will win anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Edge of Destruction is a rubbish story
    Si xx

supprise supprise Si. i'm dissagreeing with you, I think Edge Of Destruction, is a great and very under rated story all four actors give a great performance and the claustraphobic and tense atmosphere continues with out let up through out the story.

so edge gets my vote.

Nice to see these polls return!

I can't vote for the BF as I haven't heard it. Of the other two, Edge is OK overall although I do love the last 5 minutes or so and the angry confrontation between Barbara and the Doctor.

TUD though is a super little story and gets my vote - the one where, after being a little undecided about the merits of the new series, it really all came together for me and was a real joy. I think it remains the best of the "celebrity historicals" to date and is also the best Christmas special we never had! For shame!

It's The Unquiet Dead for me, but it's really hard to compare these three! Edge of Destruction is built entirely around atmosphere rather than any actual attempt to tell a story. That said, an 'explore the TARDIS' story has been sorely missing from the new series. All we've had is the line from Unquiet Dead about corridors.

Whispers of Terror represents BF trying to make an effort, telling a story based around the concept of sound. It doesn't work and it isn't brilliant, but the intention is there.

Unquiet Dead is totally different again. Though if it was up against 'Phantasmagoria' then it would lose. I always felt that it was like a rejected BF play, more than any other story from the new series. That said, it's got Simon Callow and Christopher Eccleston in it and therefore wins. Even with the drag factor of that girl from Torchwood.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Steve, if I may ask, in what way does Whispers of Terror not work?

Tim, you may certainly ask.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    ...in what way does Whispers of Terror not work?

As far as I can remember ('twas a long time since I heard it) they tried to set up a scary sound monster, but it was only fairly creepy when it could have been a lot more frightening. I remember being annoyed by the resolution too.

"Whispers" came over as an average Colin Baker TV story. It's the "Vengeance on Varos" of the Big Finish Universe.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    I think Edge Of Destruction, is a great and very under rated story all four actors give a great performance and the claustraphobic and tense atmosphere continues with out let up through out the story.

so edge gets my vote.
    Hurrah! I'm glad I'm not alone in my appreciation of this story!

Unfortuantely I think the Unquiet Dead is probably better overall, so it'd get my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    "Whispers" came over as an average Colin Baker TV story. It's the "Vengeance on Varos" of the Big Finish Universe.

Si.
    Well to be honest it would never have worked on TV, as you would know immediately that the person talking to the blind head librarian was in fact a disembodied voice thus ruining the entire premise.
    Whispers is all about murder & mystery & the creation of a whole new life form, it's not about monsters & aliens (outside of our intrepid time travellers).
    I suppose it depends on your expectations & what you were expecting, if what you got is not what you were expecting then you'll be disappointed & you'll always feel that, but if you had no pre-conceived then there is no reason to dislike it.

Paul C will know what I mean.

Wayne Guest

I like all 3, but i've gone for 'The Unquiet Dead'.

A close call - I like all 3, but I'm going to vote for 'Edge of Destruction' because it's set entirely in the TARDIS; it has some great and quite scary acting in it and most of all because it is Hartnell at his very best!!!!