Thread: Fantasy

Default Fantasy

The place for discussing the Fantasy genre and anything having to do with it...

Today Robert Jordan posted a new blog about his health:
    The Very Best Christmas Present Ever
    Posted by Robert Jordan on December 22nd, 2006 in the Robert Jordan's Blog category This is a very short post, Im afraid. I know its been awhile since I posted last, but various things kept getting in the way. Still, here goes, with the best Christmas present Ive ever received. Something I had to share without any delay.
    As you all no doubt know by now, the marker for amyloids is something called Lambda Light Chains, which are found in the blood. The normal range is between 1 and 3. Five months ago, I was at 75. Four months ago, that had gone up to 96. The higher the LLC number, the worse for you. So I wasnt doing so hot.
    This morning the Mayo gave me my most recent LLC number. 3.14!!!! No, that isnt a typo. 3.14!!! Im on the brink of normal. Something I never thought Id say about myself in any regard, frankly. Ive got Liston the ropes, guys, and I really believe that your prayers and well-wishes have helped put him there. Now I just have to put him on the canvas. This isnt a cure, and Im not even sure whether it will count as remission, but it means Im still on my feet and will be for a while yet. 3.14! Hot damn!
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everybody.
    Ill talk to you again after the 1st.
    RJ

Most of what is called 'fantasy' now is very much in huge debt to Tolkien, who probably deserves a thread of his own. There are more interesting stuff out there, that isn't just a Tolkien rip off. Quite enjoyed Ursula K Le Guin's 'Earthsea' books when I was younger. David Eddings is good (although I'm only familiar with 'The Belgariad' saga and the first few sequels- 'The Mallorean' wsn't it?)
    I tend to read anything other than sci-fi and fantasy these days. I have found that folk who read too much of it never read anything else, which is a shame (and a mighty big generalisation which the PS regulars are exempt from. It' sjust the people I know...)
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    Most of what is called 'fantasy' now is very much in huge debt to Tolkien, who probably deserves a thread of his own. There are more interesting stuff out there, that isn't just a Tolkien rip off. Quite enjoyed Ursula K Le Guin's 'Earthsea' books when I was younger. David Eddings is good (although I'm only familiar with 'The Belgariad' saga and the first few sequels- 'The Mallorean' wsn't it?)
    I tend to read anything other than sci-fi and fantasy these days. I have found that folk who read too much of it never read anything else, which is a shame (and a mighty big generalisation which the PS regulars are exempt from. It' sjust the people I know...)
    Most of the fantasy I've read is far off being a rip off of Tolkien, in fact most of the modern fantasy authors have acknowledged that they ignore the influence of Tokien preferring the more rounded writings of his predecessors such as Lord Dunsany. In fact, David Eddings mentioned in the Rivan Codex Lord of the Rings and the phrase 'this old turkey' in the same sentence.

I am aware of those facts.

That's me looking at you from over my new specs.
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

I thought this was going to be a thread for discussing your fantasies in a literary style. I was going to transcribe A Day At The Beach Skinny-Dipping With Jesse McCartney.

Si.