Dave Lewis Guest

Default The Box Of Delights

It's that time of year again, and this really is one of the things I look forward to watching every year.

I watched part one before work this morning, and my plan is to watch one later tonight, then follow the same pattern for the next couple of days so that when I get home from work in the early hours of Christmas Day, I can watch the final part.

It's still the best ever Christmassy thing that ever happened on the small screen, and it's astonishing how well it stands up twenty two years after it was originally made. Also, it's crazy how scary it still is, particularly the bit where foxy Charles briefly turns into a fox when the train goes into a tunnel.

Is Jonno (and/or anyone else) watching again this year?

Their car/plane is quite cool. The title sequence always creeps me out.

I don't think I can fit it in before Christmas this year. I'm currently trying to finish the Doctor Who Series Two box set before Monday. Still got eight episodes to go.

Might try and cram it in on Sunday afternoon. You can't beat a bit of Troughton on Christmas Eve.

Dave Lewis Guest

I'm worried that I won't fit Scrooged in this year, which is my other great festive treat. I miss my video copy of Bernard And The Genie... that was another Christmas classic, even though it featured Lenny Henry.

Is Jonno (and/or anyone else) watching again this year?
    I was considering it for this year, having last seen it 2 years ago when the DVD came out, but alas time has been a real enemy to me in the build up to the festive period, and I'm going away today for the next few days. But then again, I've never been one of those that watch it as an annual tradition.

I do adore it though and would agree with Dave that it has to be the most Christmassy thing I can think of, and will always bring back warm memories of the original weekly transmission 22 years ago concluding on Christmas Eve. I was 15 then and that remains one of my favourite Christmases ever.

There's been no time for a rewatch this year, but we did do it last year. I think I might make it a rewatch thingy every couple of years, just so i don't get sick of it!

I agree though with every sentiment expressed about it on the thread. For those of us who saw it first time round it remains a magical, wonderful and special Christmassy treat.

"The wolves are running..."

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

We found it a bit dissapointing when we watched it. As a kid my sister and I used to run around with watch cases pretending to have "box of delights" but we found it confusing and a bit pretentious. It didn't really make a lot of sense!

Si.

It's got bags of atmosphere, but the ending is cobblers!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I got my copy this week, and have been watching an episode per day.

---SPOILER GAP---

The ending is a bit of a cop out, especially as the book is a sequel to another fantasy story, but I like to rationalise it by saying Cole Hawlings must have used the box to send him back in time, besides the whole thing is about 3 hours long, there aint no way for a boy to dream all that in a car ride from the station.

---END SPOILER---

I haven't watched it since it was repeated in 1986, and I have to admit that I fear it would look very dated now. The first episode probably stands up well, but I think the rest are probably best left as nostalgic memories for me, rather than rewatched.

You're a wise old bird.

Si.

pretty much feel the same as Andrew I remember watching it when it was first broadcast and really enjoyed it but I'm not sure that it's some thing I'd paticulary want to buy on DVD..

We gave our DVD away as a prize for some reason, to someone on here but I can't remember who or for what reason?

That is a real head scratcher.

Pip Madeley Guest

I saw clips of it on Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe, it looked very BBC (ie. badly dated but very nostalgic stuff).

On another note, I'm getting hold of something called A Hitch In Time from 1978, in which Troughton plays a mad professor in posession of a time machine.

Deja vu?

If that's the Children's Film Foundation (or whatever they're called) film, then I've seen it! And from memory, Troughton sports a glorious moustache, and starts the film rather cranky! Enjoy it, Pip!

I think "Hitch in Time" is an olde Children's Film Foundation thing that was repeated on fridays on CBBC in 1989 and we've had it on DVD for two years and never got round to watching it. I didn't recognise Troughton in it back then.

Berta Tovey and Jan Putrid and tons more Who stars are in other films from the same "series".

Pip Madeley Guest

That's the one Andrew:

My favourite Children's Film Foundation Fingy was the one with the fire engines. I'm sure there's a fruit cake in it.

Pip Madeley Guest

There was one in 1967 called Calamity The Cow starring none other than Philip Collins, fact hunters.

Dave Lewis Guest

1967? He must have had a little of his hair left then...

Anyway, I'm off to bed to watch some more Box Of Delights. You don't know what you're all missing! It's more Christmassy than Jesus.

Perhaps.

I hope by "getting hold of it" Pip didn't scour car boot sales for two years and then pay 600 for a rusting film can, then get it paid to be transferred and start an Internet rumour on its possible "recovery" in the moustache-twirling knowledge that he would never, EVER relinquish this valuable lost footage for public consumption. Because we got ours for about 5.99p off Amazon.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

No, I didn't Si.

It took three years, and it cost 1200.

(and I thought it was episode three of The Highlanders)

You probably had a lucky escape, seeing as that consists entirely of lots of dull slaves on a boat and Hannah Gordon trying to get out a hole.

Si.