Default Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death tour

tonight, I saw Iron Maiden live, whilst they were touring their latest album, A Matter of Life and Death. Well, what can be said? They were excellent!

My friends Nick & Tristan and myself trekked down to the Earls Court Arena in London, and were in the seating area, but quite close to the stage.

The first support act was Lauren Harris, the daughter of Iron Maiden bassist Steve Harris. Whilst I didn't know any of her songs, she seemed quite good, and wasn't bad eye candy

Next on were Trivium, who I happen to quite like. They played tracks off both their major label albums, and had several mosh pits going in the standing area. After a storming thrash set, of which the highlight was undoubtedly To The Rats, it was time for Iron Maiden.

The Iron Maiden set was something quite special. Unlike previous tours, where they played a few songs off the new album, between a load of classics, on this tour, they've been playing the whole of the new album, A Matter of Life and Death. After the fifth song, The Longest Day, there was a sound fault which meant the sound cut out. During the twenty minutes without sound, Bruce managed to keep the crown in high spirits by getting them to sing Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, as well as some Christmas songs. After some emergency work from the Earls Court sound team, Maiden were back up and ready to go. They stormed through the rest of the album, before playing five classic songs - Fear of the Dark, Iron Maiden, 2 Minutes to Midnight, The Evil That Men Do and finally Hallowed Be Thy Name.

All in all, it was an excellent evening, with the highlight of the set undoubtedly being For the Greater Good of God. I'm looking forward to doing it all again tomorrow night!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Looks like a majestic return to Donington for Maiden!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6316807.stm

Iron Maiden to headline Download

Iron Maiden, Linkin Park and My Chemical Romance are to headline the fifth Download rock festival this year.

Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson, who will close the last night at Donington Park, Leicestershire, on 10 June, said it was "a special place for Maiden".

The band played to more than 100,000 people there in 1988.

My Chemical Romance will headline on 8 June, with Linkin Park closing the show on the following night. Some 70,000 fans attended last year's event.

Dickinson promised that as well as tracks from their last album, the band would play classic songs "as a thank you to our fans".

Chester Bennington, lead singer of US rockers Linkin Park, said: "UK fans are some of the best in the world and we can't wait to see you."

My Chemical Romance guitarist Frank Lero said there were "no words to describe the honour" of headlining the festival the band first played in 2005.

"Two years ago we were playing the side stage, and now we're closing the main stage - a slot previously filled by Metallica, Guns N' Roses and even Black Sabbath," he said.

"There really are no words to describe that honour. I just can't wait to play."

The organisers are aiming to make Download one of the UK's most environmentally-friendly festivals, with initiatives including car-sharing and recycling.
    Shame My Chemical Toilet are playing as well.

My Chemical Toilet

I still haven't bought 'A Matter Of Life And Death'. In fact, I've not even listened to any Iron Maiden in ages. Must give them a whirl some time...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    I still haven't bought 'A Matter Of Life And Death'. In fact, I've not even listened to any Iron Maiden in ages. Must give them a whirl some time...
    you really should get A Matter of Life and Death, Dave... it's superb - certainly their best album since Seventh Son at the least (I'd say it's their best ever, actually...)

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d