Default Database Errors/Forum Downtime

Some of you may have noticed the forum was down this morning for a while, and you'll have got a "Database Errors" message.

As it was okay before, and it's fine now, every speck of IT knowledge and common sense I have tells me that this was probably down to the server that holds our forum experiencing some downtime due to maintainence, a backup or simply a problem somewhere that someone has resolved.

I know there's been a very optimistic feeling of "now we're not on EZBoard, there'll be no more forum downtime ever!" but in the real world, our forum is still held on a computer somewhere and sometimes they need to be re-booted or worked upon.

So all I would say is, if this happens again be patient and bare with it. If it's ever down for a substantial amount of time we will investigate why.

Si.

I still get the error if I try to get in through the front door.

If I climb in through a window everything's fine
    Last edited by Mark; 23rd Dec 2006 at 1:41 PM.

Me too, the main page is still inactive!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Try refreshing. The main page works fine for me, and indeed was working when the forum was down.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Like Si said, if it was ever down for a notable amount of time, we'd be knocking on Streamline.net's door. I've only had it happen to me once, and it lasted two minutes. Just go for a cup of tea and come back, and it'll probably be alright.

Wayne Guest

I seem to be getting 'Database Error' a lot today.

Not all the time, but i just thought i'd mention it.
    Last edited by Wayne; 1st Jan 2007 at 11:57 AM.

I've been on at various points throughout this morning and I've not got it once!

If it's sporadic, or only occuring for some members, then it's not really a problem we can trace.

Si.

Dave Lewis Guest

Forum Downtime
    I hoped that this would be a forum to discuss that classic Nineties adventure where we meet the Brigadier's extended family, laugh at Marc Platt's dialogue, and see Sarah's muff.

Every third click is a database error!

I've had four in ten minutes.

Setting up the punchline...

Pip Madeley Guest

No problems here so far...

Or here! And every time it happens a warning message is supposed to come to my e-mail account, and have none here at the minute.

Si.

Dave Lewis Guest

Happened a lot earlier today.

Yes it's a lot better now!

Pip Madeley Guest

Apologies to those trying to get onto PS during the best part of the last hour - the whole place was down, then up, then down again, but we seem to be back to normal now. I've sent an e-mail of complaint to the IT boffins who host us, so I hope it doesn't happen again, though we will experience it from time to time I guess.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    Apologies to those trying to get onto PS during the best part of the last hour - the whole place was down, then up, then down again, but we seem to be back to normal now. I've sent an e-mail of complaint to the IT boffins who host us, so I hope it doesn't happen again, though we will experience it from time to time I guess.
    It's unrealistic not to expect problems occasionaly on any corner of the internet. But i'm sure we'll never experience the almost consistent EZboard problems.
    Having said that, i've not had any problems tonight. Mind you, i've been off listening to Ep.1 of 'Enemy of the World' for the last half hour.
    Last edited by Wayne; 6th Jan 2007 at 10:43 PM.