Default KVM switch recommendations

I've finally got a bit of temp work, and it's going to be based at home and supplied with a computer with all the apps and bits I'll need for the job.

Thing is, I'm just going to be supplied with the box, so need to sort out keyboard, mouse and monitor for myself - not a big deal, as I've got a spare keyboard and mouse I can use, and for the monitor I can just switch my existing monitor between the two.

Now the monitor bit would be easier if I got a KVM switch, so I could keep both monitors plugged in at the same time and just switch between one computer and the other as needed.

So the question is... does anyone have any recommendations for makes and models of KVM switches to get, or any useful advice for someone who hasn't used them before (i.e. useful do's and don'ts that aren't immediately obvious)?
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.

KVM switches are generally designed for the Keyboard Mouse and monitor (Video) to all plug into the one switch; rather than just using the box to switch video inputs. KVM switches require power, but they are classed as 'self-powered' because they take their power from the keyboard/mouse supply from a connected PC.

Decide on USB or PS/2; if your PCs are modern enough I would go with USB.

Check that the KVM switch box has got enough USB ports (if you go with the USB option); you should be okay with 2 USB ports.

PCs generally don't like their PS/2 cables being disconnected. The connection is restored after a standby/hibernate/restart, but with a USB connection you can just reconnect the cable.

I wouldn't recommend the Belkin PS/2 OmniView KVMs as I've found that the mouse and keyboard cables easily come out of the KVM switch.

I would recommend the MyHopper/Rextron KVMs as their cable design ensures cables don't easily come out of their sockets and a single cable to the PC also reduces cable clutter.

Dont' get distracted!
    With a KVM it's far to easy to switch back to the 'other' PC to check 'something' and you end up getting distracted for 30+ minutes .
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

This is a timely question - I keep thinking off and on about getting a Mac Mini to run alongside my PC and all I could find to switch between the two was a Belkin device which got slated at the Apple Store website.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

It's gonna have to be a USB option - from what I gather the computer I'm getting doesn't have PS/2 ports (so led to me rushing out and buying a USB keyboard earlier in the week*). I'm okay for USB - my keyboard and mouse are both, and I've never had a "can't find PS/2 keyboard" error.

I'm not "overly" worried about distractions - the idea is most likely going to be so I can easily jump to and from the media player on my main computer while working.

Had a search on Scan and Amazon for the MyHopper/Rextron KVMs, but found nothing... any suggestions for where to get them from?
    EDIT: Found it on a couple of places, but it looks like it's PS/2 only... any USB recommendations, or would pretty much any work (as USB cables are generally held in more securely than PS/2)?

* Well, I say buying a USB keyboard, but the stupid Argos catalogue listed their value keyboard as USB & PS/2 compatible, but is actually PS/2 only and thus useless!
    Last edited by cullsoft; 4th Apr 2009 at 11:40 AM.
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.

You can buy the Rextron 2-way and 4-way USB KVM from CJE Micros. Here's a link to the 2-way one:
    http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/in...e=REX-USBKVM2W
    I've previously dealt with CJE and they do provide good service.

One thing to note, the Rextron USB KVMs don't support hot-key swapping; i.e. pressing a couple of keys on the keyboard to switch between systems. The Belkin ones do, however.
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge