Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Honorary Knighthood for Bono

U2's Boner will be getting it soon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6206063.stm

Honorary knighthood for U2's Bono

Bono will receive the award in Dublin early in the new year
    U2 frontman Bono is being awarded an honorary knighthood by the Queen, the British Embassy in Dublin has said.

The singer, whose real name is Paul Hewson, has been given the honour for "his services to the music industry and for his humanitarian work", it said.

Prime Minister Tony Blair congratulated him, telling the singer in a letter: "You have tirelessly used your voice to speak up for Africa."

The 46-year-old will receive the honour in Dublin early in the new year.

British ambassador David Reddaway will conduct the ceremony.

The embassy said the agreement of the Irish government was sought and granted for the Dublin-born singer to be honoured.

I know from talking to you how much these causes matter to you and how determined you are to do all you can

Tony Blair

A statement on the band's website said the singer, who has lobbied Western leaders to increase aid to developing countries and cancel Third World debt, was "very flattered" to receive the award.

It added that he hoped it opened doors for his campaigning work against extreme poverty in Africa.

Pressure on leaders

Because he is not a British national, he will not be able to use the title "Sir". The honour is the same as that conferred upon fellow Dubliner Bob Geldof in 1986.

Other recipients of honorary knighthoods include Microsoft founder Bill Gates, singer Placido Domingo and film director Steven Spielberg.

In his letter to the singer, Mr Blair thanked Bono for his work in the run up to 2005's G8 summit, which had a focus on African poverty.

Alongside Geldof, Bono organised the Live 8 concerts to coincide with the summit, and increase the pressure on Western leaders to take action.

Bono has lobbied George Bush on the issue of Third World debt
    "I know from talking to you how much these causes matter to you. I know as well how knowledgeable you are about the problems we face and how determined you are to do all you can to help overcome them," he said.

'Invaluable role'

"I want personally to thank you for the invaluable role you played in the run-up to the Gleneagles G8 summit. Without your personal contribution, we could not have achieved the results we did.

"So thank you and I look forward to continuing to work together to maintain momentum on Africa, and ensure leaders around the world meet the promises they have made."

In 2003, Bono was presented with France's Legion D'Honneur by President Jacques Chirac, while in 2005 he was voted Time magazine's person of the year for his work promoting justice and equality, along with Bill and Melinda Gates.

Last year, he admitted that at one stage, he was worried his commitment to the cause might force him to leave U2.

In 2006 he was named the most influential pop star of the past 25 years by music network MTV, and in February U2 won five Grammy Awards, including song of the year for Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, and album of the year for How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.
    This is good news... unless you think he's a tosser.

I think he's a smug git, but it's still good news. He's a smug git who's done more for the world's underprivelaged than I have.

Si.

personaly I have no time for these awards as I find them antiquated and usualy go to all the wrong people but I don't have a problem with people getting recognition for their charity work.

Pip Madeley Guest

Well done to Bono, I say.

Trudi G Guest

He can't call himself 'Sir' cos he's Irish...

tbh, Bono has always come across as a self-righteous tosser to me. Sure, he does a lot for charity, but the way he does it, then insists that the rest of the world idolises him for it annoys the hell out of me.

it stinks of a PR stunt on the behalf of Blair and the Labour party to me

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Williams View Post
    tbh, Bono has always come across as a self-righteous tosser to me. Sure, he does a lot for charity, but the way he does it, then insists that the rest of the idolise him for it annoys the hell out of me.

it stinks of a PR stunt on the behalf of Blair and the Labour party to me

Ant x
    think your being a bit harsh there Ant..

Wayne Guest

People like Bono make me puke. Their personal fortunes are so vast, it's like you & me giving a fiver to charity, & wanting lots of recognition & admiration for it.
    Bono makes me puke even more, because he's a self-righteous, smug, hypocrite, & U2 are the most overated band in the history of the universe after Oasis.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I think he's a smug git, but it's still good news. He's a smug git who's done more for the world's underprivelaged than I have.
    Yeah I find him annoying really.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    People like Bono make me puke. Their personal fortunes are so vast, it's like you & me giving a fiver to charity, & wanting lots of recognition & admiration for it.
    Bono makes me puke even more, because he's a self-righteous, smug, hypocrite, & U2 are the most overated band in the history of the universe after Oasis.
    Yes, he's very close to those in power, and very good at telling you where your taxes should be going. Because of course U2 are based for tax reasons elsewhere. So of course we need to be doing our bit, and paying more in tax, but obviously not them!

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...0dodge_1008508

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...08/nbono08.xml
    Last edited by WhiteCrow; 30th Dec 2006 at 12:03 AM.

I have to say I don't recall Bono ever telling us where our taxes should be going - and I'm sure with his earnings he does more than his bit in terms of paying taxes. Musicians have to base themselves abroad or for complicated reasons they wind up paying something like 98% tax. It's basically a choice between live outside the UK or bancrupt yourself!

Si.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Hmm, there's a whiff of "Tony/Gordon's friends" about this, but honorary knighthoods for foreign citizens are a weird thing anyway- I know the French give the Legion d'Honneur to practically anybody who's made half a dozen films, but I can't really think of a good reason for handing them out.

Neither is there any reason for an Irish band like U2 to base themselves in the UK- if you've got their money, regardless of your social conscience you're going to keep a base in LA for the recording facilities and worldwide media and aim to live somewhere that gives you a better standard of living than where you started out.

Maybe they like the UK? Being mega rich shouldn't mean you are forbidden from living anywhere you want to.

Come on, he HAS to get one really doesn't he? He's probably the most successful British rock star living today, and has done more than any other apart from Geldoff in terms of raising awareness for third world poverty. You can say what you like about his motives, his ego, his wealth, whatever, but at the end of the day if he stands up and says "give" and people get on the phone with their credit card numbers and some shanty town in Africa then gets fresh running water for a month then that's what counts.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

He got it today:

The Edge was reported as saying "For feck's sake, it should've been me!"

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    He got it today:

God, that guy is such a prick!

He's a prick who does a lot of good work for charity. The Beatles got awards and all they did was take LSD and argue over who ate all the chocolate biscuits.*

*(It was George in the early years, Yoko in the later years).
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    He's a prick who does a lot of good work for charity. The Beatles got awards and all they did was take LSD and argue over who ate all the chocolate biscuits.
    See my post in December.

And at least Lennon sent his back.

it seems ironic to me that one of the people who penned Sunday Bloody Sunday would accept a British honour.

I agree with Wayne - Bono is a hypocrite

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

It gets WORSE -

The "U2charist" originated in the American city of Baltimore three years ago and yesterday reached Dublin, Ireland.

Around 150 people reportedly attended the gathering at the Anglican St George And St Thomas Church.

Speaking about the service, organiser Greg Fromholz said songs such as "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "One" had powerful religious undertones.

"We're reaching out to the youth. There's a deep Christian message in U2's music", explained Fromholz, after the band's music was used instead of hymns.

The "U2charist" was developed by Sarah Dylan Breuer and has previously taken place in Australia, New Zealand and Britain.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Boner is a god! Worship him!

Come on, he HAS to get one really doesn't he? He's probably the most successful British rock star living today, and has done more than any other apart from Geldoff in terms of raising awareness for third world poverty.

Forgive an American question, but I find these things confusing... I thought U2 were from the Republic of Ireland and didn't count as British... or do they?

F

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post

Forgive an American question, but I find these things confusing... I thought U2 were from the Republic of Ireland and didn't count as British... or do they?

F
    I think they are from Northern Ireland & as such part of Britain.

Boner and Larry Mullett were born in the Republic of Ireland. Adam Clayton and the Hedge were born in England.

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    Boner and Larry Mullett were born in the Republic of Ireland. Adam Clayton and the Hedge were born in England.
    So they're Irenglandish?

Quiet you.

Si.

Looks like it's Doctor Bono now!
    According to the NME -
    Bono was awarded an honourary Doctor of Law Degree by Japan's Keio University at a ceremony held at the school yesterday (May 27).

The U2 frontman received the honour "in recognition for his work in the fight against poverty and AIDS in Africa," according to a statement issued by the University.

Bono was present at yesterday's ceremony, where he delivered a lecture to the students urging Japan not to ignore Africa at the G8 summit in July. The students reportedly greeted the star with rapturous applause.

Bono is currently in Japan to attend the Tokyo International Conference on African Development.
    That's a bit random isn't it? He's helped in Africa, so let's make him a Doctor of Law. Should we be phoning Bono instead of Claims Direct in future?