Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Is he a hat sort of person do we think?

PayPal payment should be with you now, Si, thanks again!

Thanks Andrew! (I did reply to the address that sent the payment to say thanks, just in case you thought I was being rude!) Much appreciated, and I'll get your "Baron" CD off to you today!

Si.

Wayne Guest

Mine still hasn't arrived. Hope the Royal Mail haven't lost it.

It went off the day before yesterday, I'm afraid I sent it second class to cut down on costs!

Si.

Wayne Guest

No worries Si. I'm sure it'll arrive tomorrow or Saturday.

Hi Si,

I've just sent you a payment via Paypal for the CD you gave me last weekend.

Thanks Andrew, very gratefully received! Thank you to everyone who has donated so far! And if you haven't got your shiny "Baron" CD yet, what are you waiting for! There's about half of them left! Including the reserved ones!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Good to see we're making the news:

http://tardisnewsroom.blogspot.com/

Tues 28 April

Is there an address to e-mail him anywhere on that page? We really should start mailshotting these places when we have something new to release.

Si.

That's a good idea. People do seem to keep finding us though, which is nice.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Is there an address to e-mail him anywhere on that page? We really should start mailshotting these places when we have something new to release.

Si.
    On the right hand side of that page there's a box titled TALK TO THE EDITOR - leave messages there

Many thanks for your cheque Chris, received today - nice one! I'll wait til next week to send the CD out - if I send it today, you won't get it til next week anyway and it might get stuck in the Bank Holiday post.

Si.

Thanks Si, that's ok. I'm surprised it got to you so quickly I only put it in a postbox yesterday afternoon.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    No worries Si. I'm sure it'll arrive tomorrow or Saturday.
    Mine turned up not long ago, thanks Si.
    Will report back later.

Mine too, came this morning. Thanks Si.

Wayne Guest

Just listened to 'A Baron For All Seasons' whilst in the bath.
    Good fun as ever guys. It's smashing to continue to hear everyone's respective talents. but i have to say in particular how impressed i am with Martin's Tor Gorane voice. It's just great!
    Just listening to Andrew's story right at this moment, superbly read as ever by Mr McCow. ("Shut it you slags!") ("Habadashery Ninja")
    Lovely quality printing too Steve!

I listened to it all last night before bed. The deleted scenes were quite interesting - especially the final one referring to Leckard (sp) from TPM.

I can't really comment on the story of Hats & Hatbands, but I would just like to applaud the production - Rob's reading was excellent, and I was especially pleased to hear him bigging up the cliffhangers (well, chapter endings). Great range of voices too (I think my favourite has to be the smarmy prosecutor); and the music used was very good too (was that a snippet of Barbarella towards the end?). Thanks guys.

I've just listened to the excellent 'Hats and Hatbands' on the Baron CD! Fantabulous character voices and reading by Steve - particularly the court room characters.

I loved the story as well, for a moment, I thought Harold and Hilda might actually be executed, and Andrew had written this as a tragic farewell to the characters! Thankfully, that didn't happen! From start to finish, I was enthralled with this tale of hat selling, and loved the surprise appearance of Skagra and the way the story was resolved. The court room characters were particularly well written and amusing.

I've never heard 3.1A Hats and Hatbands before... I know I've mentioned this elsewhere but I would like to review the whole 2009 season (having already done stories 3.3 & 3.4 in advance).

We need to get the page updated.

But I'll give you it on CD when I see you on Friday if you like

Si.

That would be very kind if you've got time before then. I have to admit that having something of a soft spot for the this particular story I'd love to have a CD copy of it.

3.1 A Baron for All Seasons

Rather bravely season 3 opens in a story without any of the regular characters but instead shifts the focus to re-introduce two returning characters from Martin Penny's previous story The Paradise Machine The Baron of Boralis and Tor Garane. (Although I acknowledge that the Baron briefly returned for a cameo in Many Happy Returns). This proves to be a shrewd move as it adds an enjoyable extra layer to the ongoing Galactic Bank story arc.

I hope Martin and everyone else with forgive that I've reverted to commentary style notes for this review:

Are the Chessene sisters attending the annual galactic bank conference then? Good music choice (as occasionally used on The Apprentice)

Lovely contrast between the Baron and the extremely dull Duke. I don’t think he could have been played any duller if he tried.

Love the disgusted emphasis every time the Baron says “Skraith”.

Love the President of Earth’s French accent

“They call it The War you know!” Nice bit of foreshadowing for The Wealth of Craytians.

The Earth is massively in debt . How timely and maybe not as far in the future as we might imagine.

“Garane’s Alive!” Not quite Brian Blessed but very nearly…

Interesting implication that Tor Garane has been working away behind the scenes since the events of The Paradise Machine. What has he been up to we wonder?

Like the reveal the Baron is back on form after being inspired by the Doctor. The fact that that we know exactly who the Baron is talking about even though his name is never mentioned is a clever touch.

Nice use of the Blink soundtrack for the Baron’s conversation about the interminable war with the Skraith. Was there perhaps a missed opportunity to tie this in more closely with The War to end all wars between the Schroon and the Craytians as mentioned earlier in the same scene.

Love how Madame President seems to be flirting with Garane!

Brilliant use of the schoolboys going to war theme from The Family of Blood during the conversation about purchasing Earth.

Interesting list of planets that the bank has recently purchased… Kalrexi, that rings a bell and love the way Garane says “Gidi” with such high pitched glee. These planets would appear have something or someone in common.

The Baron wasn’t the only one hoping to have lost the Duke.

“Remember what happened on Thanos IV” – Nice little bit of seeding in there whilst not explicitly referencing the Doctor’s involvement.

I think this must be the first time that a certain music cue from the unbound play Masters of War makes an appearance in a PS Audio. It is quite an amusing cue although possibly a little overused in The Wealth of Craytians.

Nice comedy scene during the Baron’s speech. Someone obviously can act when they’re doing a northern accent.

Rallik!! We like Rallik!!

Adore this next scene between the Baron and Garane, beautifully played by Pip and Martin with great music choices especially the return of the Blink theme.

“I do enjoy manipulating people’s morality” and that laugh. Tor Garane has never been more evil (pretending to have not heard any of season 4 at this point).

Lovely re-use of the schoolboys theme from earlier during the little scene between

“The Baron wishes to know why you all stand…hugger-mugger like this!” –Just love the delivery on that line.

Love that Keith Lemon is leading the revolt on Earth

The Killraxian alliance. Is there a connection to Kalrexi? This did leave me confused for a time.

Very well played confrontation between the Killraxians and the Duke of Dracon. Lovely interjections from Madam President and the Baron.

I’d never noticed before how interesting an accent Rallik has. Slightly Germanic sounding, no idea if this is particularly intentional.

Nice use of the theme from the end of Survival over the Baron’s rather poignant closing speech.

Overall three great central performances from Pip Madeley as The Baron, P-Bal as Madam President and of course, the play's author Martin Penny as the deliciously serpentine Tor Garane really elevate this play to being something rather more special than the sum of its parts and set the scene nicely for the events of the second full cast story of the season Blood Money.

7.5/10

I think this is the play that homages this. Powder me down slut!

Si.

I was all ready to press on with the next review but realised I've neglected Hats and Hatbands so that will now follow tomorrow but rest assured that my review of Blood Money won't be far behind it.