Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Or would you prefer a coffee?

After the hugely successful Tea thread, i thought we might have one about coffee... so what's your favourite coffee? How do you take it? With cream and sugar?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

When I'm on holiday on the Continent, it's good to have an espresso. Other than that, English coffee should be as strong and as revolting as possible. Nescafe is good (disgusting) but for the real stuff, I prefer to go to a coffee machine.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I have no idea how to make coffee - I usually just bung some in the cup and add water and milk. Occasionally I get confused and think I'm making gravy (4 heaped teaspoonsful required) but I've never done that to the same person twice. Largely because they don't often come back, and when they do they ask for tea the second time.

Si.

I like my coffee made with one or two spoons of coffee (instant, no fancy stuff), two sugars and a bit of milk. I sometimes put more coffee in if I want to stay awake.

Wayne Guest

Blah! Can't stand the stuff! Dunno how i'd go on at Jon Masters' house.
    I could eat a slice of coffee cake with a nice cup of tea though.

I have to say I'd always choose tea over coffee, unless I'm on holiday, where there aren't many countries that can do tea properly!

I do like a nice Latte though, but finding somewhere that hasn't burnt the beans seems to be tricky. I always have sugar in coffee, never in tea.

Si xx

Generally I prefer Nescafe original - probably because that's the one I grew up with. If i'm feeling spoilt I'll make it with half boiling milk, half water (and a slug of Baileys).

At work I have developed a liking for those instant Cappuchinos (no need for milk).

Ground coffee per caffetierre is nice, but too much and it gives me a blazing headache.

For some reason, I can't stand any of the freeze-dried brands (whereas She who must be Obeyed insists on Blend 37 - we're a two-coffee household )
    Bazinga !

I object to that powdered rubbish! Only filtered for me and just milk no sugar please!

I'd never insult Wayne at his place to ask for a Coffee

Wayne Guest

I've only got Tesco Value crap for coffee drinkers anyway.

Precisely! which is why I always settle for tea... or even better a nice cool beer

Wayne Guest

See Si's Tea thread.

And THIS one.

I'm that allergic to coffee that even the smell sets me off.

I am Mr. Masters' new best friend, Wayne.

Wayne Guest

So that's no tea or coffee then!

I prefer tea but I do have coffee. Decaf freeze dried instant & full leaded ground beans in the coffee maker/cafetiere.
    If I know I'm going to have a busy day then I put on a full pot of coffee for myself to last me most of the day.

As I stated in the tea thread I tend not to drink too much tea as Viv likes it milky and weak. As for coffee, I'm not too keen on instant so I turn to Cappucino or Latte, usually Nescafe although there are various brands on the market, Dou Egberts or Kenko are equally as good. I do like a filter coffee, especially if it has a dash of Quantro in it. I always have one of those if we're out for a meal.
    Last edited by Stephen Morgan; 8th May 2009 at 4:59 AM.

I'm not really a big coffee drinker, but when I went to Italy in February I started downing the stuff like nobody's business. It rather annoyed the locals.

With hindsight, I think it was because they put something in the tea.

On a related note, if you are ever unfortunate enough to be hungry on an Easyjet flight, DON'T have the bacon baguettes. God they're horrible.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

My favourite is the Somerfield's own cheapy cheap range (you get something like a three tonne jar for 80p). There can't be much genuine coffee in it at that price, but I'm afraid I just really like the taste.

Nescafe I always find too bitter, Kenco too strong, and whatever brand my Mum buys makes me wee a lot.

On the whole, I usually prefer instant over the filtered variety, though either work fine. At home we find that Sainsbury's own brand works best for us in both cases.

Cafetiére isn't too bad, so long as I'm able to avoid any of the grit (far too often I'd end up with the last cup from the pot at work, and half of it would be granulated sludge); Mum found that a tea strainer does a cracking job at keeping the grit out of your mug.

As for how I take it... milk, no sugar. And not too often, as I'm trying to keep my caffeine levels down... though that doesn't always come across in practice, especially as each day it's usually just two people working through one pot in the morning and one in the evening...
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Can't bear coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    So that's no tea or coffee then!
    Meths for me, dear boy! I'm past caring these days *hic*

tried moccachino for the first time last week - i never knew what id been missing all these years

Is that that thing where they give you a SHOT of coffee? I had something similar in a cafe in Peterbrough (which was suspiciously closed down soon after) and it was gross!

Si.

That'd be Esspresso I'd guess Si. Isn't Moccachino where they add hot choclate to your coffee with copious amounts of cream too?

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    That'd be Esspresso I'd guess Si. Isn't Moccachino where they add hot choclate to your coffee with copious amounts of cream too?
    i know nothing of this 'copious ammounts of cream' of which you speak. but apart from that bang on.

pretty much caffinated hot chocolate but you make it sound like a bad thing which it probably is really if you had it lots. as a treat though its excellent

Maybe the copious amounts of cream just turn up on the Mochas I buy then!

Si xx