Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Hearing myself back I think I should've given myself a moment to breathe during some of those lines Great work Si.

There was no time to breathe, we were on a schedule!!

Si.

Brilliant trailer Si I can't wait for Saturday.

EPISODE 1 NOW AVAILABLE TO DOWNLOAD!

Right Click the above and choose 'Save Target As...', then unzip to listen.

Thank you to everyone who took part in making the story, and thank you in advance to everyone who shows their support and downloads it!

Si.

I am not happy, I've got to wait for episode 2 of this fantastic story. So far it is one of the best I have listened to.
    I hope what I just wrote made sense, it did when I was thinking it.

We will be listening in at lunchtime after i've finished work. Looking forward to it!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

"It's like Stevenage"

Brilliant audio, infact absolutely stunning.

Agreed, just finished listening to it now! In case people haven't heard it yet, I'm going to activate the cloaking device:

A really polished production, from the general 'cleanness' of the sound, to the details that really make it work - things like the Baron being heard in the background as the Doctor & Nick talk, or the sounds of distant gunfire when we're in the Skraith enclosure. And that attention to detail extends to the performances too - the way the Doctor says, "Morality" and such things as the Baron always saying the word Skraith like it's a swear word, even when it's in the middle of a sentence.

The script is really good too - the jovial banter of the opening TARDIS scene is neatly done so that the reality outside the doors is a real shock to the system (plus I love Nick's comment about Rob being "all about the continuity"). Even without having listened to "A Baron For All Seasons" the plot is clearly explained - not in a laboured, infodump sort of way, but dramatically and effectively. The Baron clarifying the set up when talking to the Doctor reminded me a little of the similarly effective scene in part 2 of DioE, where Craddock tells the Doctor & Ian about the Daleks. There were also some really good lines, my favourite probably being Nick's "Or can I call you Barry?"

One thing Martin always seems to do is give us some great characters - adding to his bombastic Baron and his slimy Garane, I really enjoyed Si's turn as Nathanial. The 'gag' about him being the computer voices for the whole galaxy was such a clever little twist, and the performance really made the part - I'm picturing him rather like Kenneth Branagh in the second Harry Potter film!! Although it seems unlikely, I'd like to hear Nathanial live to fight (well, narrate) another day!!

There were also just enough touches to make it definitely a PS audio - there's something unmistakeable about the Baron being depressed not only because of the war, but also because of his second album being a flop (and Paul's dry delivery of the comment about record-buying public, was lovely).

Finally, it almost goes without saying but shouldn't, what a talented cast we have at PS. Given the non-professional origins of the whole thing, it's a real achievement. The regulars are as good as ever, and the returning Baron and Tor are both excellently played. Pip's ability to switch between the loud rough voice to the more charming tones in a moment is very clever, and used to good effect (I assume the charming voice is Pip's pulling voice, but I wouldn't know about that). And Ant was excellent in the other 'main' part, pitching the voice perfectly to convey both weariness but haughty aristocracy in the Emperor.

All in all, another corker and like Chris, I'm not looking forward to waiting a week!!

the way the Doctor says, "Morality"
    I have to say I very much like the way Paul plays that line too!

Si.

I really enjoyed Si's turn as Nathanial.
    Thanks Andrew!

Si xx

I forgot to say, Martin also gets extra credit for putting a line from Time and the Rani in there. Well done Mr P!!

It's amazing the difference the new Mic makes to the quality. I mean we were pretty good before with the pop shields and stuff, but this time it sounded so crisp and lovely. Excellent work. The production was as brilliant as we've come to expect from Si- it's the standard the rest of us have to try and live up to.

It's a very enjoyable episode, one that was well set up by A Baron for all Seasons I think, though you can listen to it without knwoing what happened in the prelude, which is great.

I love Ant's Emperor Narl. He's channeling the spirit of Styggron for all he's worth!

As always I can't wait to hear how the storyline ends!

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

It's simply the best sounding PS Audio yet - it sounds so professional! Great performances, interesting story, it's all good.

the Baron always saying the word Skraith like it's a swear word, even when it's in the middle of a sentence
    That was my own contribution, glad you liked it!

I really did Pip, it's little things like that, little touches that make the characters that bit more real. Shame about the pop career, but them's the breaks...

Excellent stuff once again guys, I really enjoyed that, and has been mentioned, once again the production is superb. And a special mention has to go to Jonno too, as I didn't recognise his voice at all and had to go and look on the website to see who it was.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

You're not entirely to blame for that, a little bit of treatment has been used on Jonno to make his voice deeper as I felt this best suited the character, who I envisaged as a large, burly sort of Boralan fellow.

Si.

I'm glad everyone's enjoying it! Thanks for the kind comments

The production is excellent, as always, but I think Si had done a perfect job capturing the gritty/dark tone of the story. The music and sound effects work really well, and I love the little background touches. The scene in which you can hear the Baron shouting "WHAT?" while the Doctor and Nick are having a conversation made me chuckle.

I'd heard most of the recording on the day, but hadn't heard Si's Nathaniel yet - and he's quite marvelous. "Unhand me, I am a thespian!" was one of my favorite lines from the story, and he delivers it perfectly.

And Ant and Si Hunt as Narl and Grath are great fun - the Styggron and Chedaki of the story! They have a great chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow
    I forgot to say, Martin also gets extra credit for putting a line from Time and the Rani in there. Well done Mr P!!
    Which was that Andrew? It's entirely possible I did put in a deliberate reference!

Well unless I imagined it... when Jonno's character says about how the Baron's money was saved during the whole Paradise Machine story, and refers to some mysterious stranger (or whatever he says) the Doctor says that person is here. And when Kane says, where, the Doctor replies, "Here you washer woman!"...

...which I assumed was a nick from TATRani when the Doctor & Mel are reunited, with each assuming the other to be a fake. The Doctor says that the Doctor is here, Mel says something like, "Where, under the carpet?" and the Doctor says, "Me you washer woman, me!"

Now I come to type it out I'm beginning to wonder if I did imagine it... And also, which has never occured to me before, it's an odd thing for the seventh Doctor to call Mel isn't it?!!

BTW, what was going on with the conveniently-open hatchway towards the end of the episode? Was it some kind of series arc kicking off?

Ah of course! I do believe that was a Si Hunt addition!

BTW, what was going on with the conveniently-open hatchway towards the end of the episode? Was it some kind of series arc kicking off?
    I couldn't possibly comment...

Wayne Guest

Sorry i haven't chance to download this yet, It's not through lack of interest, it's just been a mad few days.
    I should have time to listen to it tonight though.

Don't let my Time & the Rani comment worry you Wayne, I think you'll really enjoy it!!

Excellent stuff gentlemen - only just got time to finally listen to it. Knowing bits and pieces from behind the scenes, it was great to finally hear it all come together.

Laugh out loud moment:

"Don't you know who I am ?"
    "Aren't you that crap actor who does all the computer voices ?"

My McGuffin senses are tingling.....
    Bazinga !

Pip Madeley Guest

"Aren't you that crap actor who does all the computer voices ?"
    Martin gives me some great lines

I happen to really like that line on account of the brilliant comic timing with which it's delivered - well done Pip in a second role in this story!

There's a lot of 'doubling up' for guards and minor characters this season, it works really well in "Blood Money" I think.

My McGuffin senses are tingling.....
    Why so, Jon? Very intrigued to know what you think is going to happen!

Si.