Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Wayne Guest

Mr Hart speaks the truth, & i know i'm in the minority & being predictable here, but i think that's one of the main reasons Tennant isn't amongst the best, IMHO. He's still trying to be someone else. ie: Tom Baker/a fan perceived version of what the Doctor should be like.
    Paul is more Doctor-ish to me. I think he would agree that he struggled to find it at first, but now i really think it's become natural.

I suppose the early days weren't helped by us adapating stories that were originally written for two completely different Doctors and we didn't do a great deal in the way of adapting the lines to suit Paul really- we left it to him to find his way. Indeed it wasn't really until magical History Tour that we really got a handle on this incarnation I think.

I don't know if the other writers will agree with me, but I find Paul's Doctor quite easy to write for these days. I have a god idea how he'd react to most things now.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Wayne Guest

Don't get me wrong, it's not about Paul as such - i think pretty much anyone who's never done any amateur acting before is gonna struggle to be natural at first, especially when you're taking on an established role, & you can't just wing it & create something of your own from the ground up.
    I think it's only to be expected that something like that would take time to find it's own confidence & qualities, no matter who it was.

Post deleted cos I can't read properly!

I don't know if the other writers will agree with me, but I find Paul's Doctor quite easy to write for these days. I have a god idea how he'd react to most things now.
    When I write bits for Paul's Doctor, I tend to see him almost in a 'childminder' like role with Rob and Nick; most of his time is spent keeping them under control, or from arguing with each other, and when he isn't he just wants to explore. With Ed, it's more like an explorer who's allowed his apprentice to come along for the ride. He seems to tolerate Ed a lot more, where-as with Rob and Nick, although he cares about them both, you get the impression he wouldn't object if he got the chance to zip off and have a bit of a sit down because they tire him out!

Si.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    When I write bits for Paul's Doctor, I tend to see him almost in a 'childminder' like role with Rob and Nick; most of his time is spent keeping them under control, or from arguing with each other, and when he isn't he just wants to explore.
    Well that fits in with Paul's initial Davison approach.

Btw... Will we be seeing more of Ed this season? I hope so.

Yes, you will!

Si.

where-as with Rob and Nick, although he cares about them both, you get the impression he wouldn't object if he got the chance to zip off and have a bit of a sit down because they tire him out!
    Strangely, I can relate to that!
    Actually maybe the reason I've become more at ease playing the part is because everyone become better at writing it. And maybe as I've played him much more like myself, everyone wriiten him more like me.

Just a reminder that the closing instalment of "Blood Money" will be on-line at midnight tonight, so log on tomorrow and be sure to download it to see how the storyline ends!

Plus coming tomorrow - how YOU can obtain a shiny extras-laden CD copy of the story for your collections!

Si.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post

Plus coming tomorrow - how YOU can obtain a shiny extras-laden CD copy of the story for your collections!
    Hurrah! Will we still be able pre-order the whole season in one payment?

Si- did we give you a donation for Blood Money? If not we'll add extra to our donation for the season.

Si xx

Will we still be able pre-order the whole season in one payment?
    Yes, if you want to! I will be quoting discounted postage costs for ordering more than 1 CD at once, but I'd have to send all CD's in an order at once (on the date of release of the latest CD) to get the reduction in postage at this end.

I won't be mentioning this on the thread, but I guess if you wanted to pre-order all the CD's AND have each one sent seperately on release (for convenience of not having to keep doing it) you could if you sent me a sensible amount to cover postage of all the seperate parcels!

Does that make sense? I hate making up rules because it makes it sound like some sort of commercial operation! I'm trying to tread the line between making it so everyone can get all the CD's without shelling out loads, and not doing the charity pot down by offering them for nothing when they actually cost quite a bit to make and post!

Si- did we give you a donation for Blood Money? If not we'll add extra to our donation for the season.
    I've not taken any donations for "Blood Money" yet Si. Do you mean "Baron"? If so, I don't think you did but feel free to furnish the pot whenever you like!

Si.

Ah yes, I did of course mean Baron...

Si xx

Wayne Guest

Ok thanks Si.
    Thinking about it, it might not be wise to have all 4 CDs delivered together, because i'm not sure they'd fit through my letterbox, & my post generally doesn't arrive 'til lunchtime, when i'm quite often out.
    Having to go to the sorting office to collect them would be a pain, so providing it's not causing too much trouble for you, perhaps i could have 1 & 2 posted together after the second CD is out, & then 3 & 4 posted together after they're all out? At least that way we both save a bit on postage/journeys to the post office etc...
    Does that sound ok? I can work out the fine details of costs etc... later with you via pm.

That's fine Wayne - I'm actually going to be quoting a price for 2 CD's together as I thought there might be people joining the season who want to get "A Baron For All Seasons" and "Blood Money" together as a bundle. I'm suggesting £3 to cover printing, discs and postage on 2 discs, not sure if that sounds reasonable to people!

Si.

Wayne Guest

Sounds more than reasonable to me, thanks Si!

Going back to the very interesting discussion above about Paul's Doctor (and there's no question, when you listen to the audios he IS the Doctor) I've always thought of him as a bit like Colin Baker's description of the Doctor - namely that things have got to be right. Not good or bad, but right. That's how Paul's Doctor comes across to me, as sometimes a bit weary of the fact that he knows he's going to have to make things right otherwise he'd never sleep at night.

I agree with Andrew, for some reason, Paul's Doctor often reminds me of Colin Baker (but the 'nice' Colin, rather than the unstable one) crossed with Davison and a bit of Troughton.

I remember Paul saying during the recording of 'Heart of the Haniad' that the Doctor was coming off a lot like Colin's version in that story.

Wayne Guest

I can see what you're saying, but Paul usually sounds quite mellow & composed, that's why he sometimes reminds me of McGann. (I'm thinking BFs rather than TVM)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    he sometimes reminds me of McGann. (I'm thinking BFs rather than TVM)
    I can hardly imagine him snogging Nick, Rob, or Ed...

Wayne Guest

*sigh.......

I do like the moments when Paul's Doctor freaks out though (like Colin's, appropriately enough). Like the way he has a right go at the Baron in "Blood Money".

Si.

I didn't actually mean Paul particularly reminded me of Colin's Doctor, so much as he seems to embody Colin's description from (I think) 30 Years in the TARDIS that "things have got to be right".

As I was typing that I found myself thinking... 30 Years in the TARDIS was so long ago, but feels so recent. And yet it was only a few years after the series had stalled, before even McGann, before BF, before the net... I must be getting old!

Pip Madeley Guest

I'm staying up to download this - want to get into bed with Paul Monk and co!

EPISODE 2 NOW AVAILABLE TO DOWNLOAD!

Right Click the above and choose 'Save Target As...', then unzip to listen.

The Doctor, Rob and Nick have arrived on Earth in the future - only to find the Boralans and the Skraith using the planet as a battleground. The Doctor and Nick find themselves trying to win the war for the Boralans, if only to rescue the captured Rob. But having come face to face with his old enemy Tor Garane, the Doctor finds that the Skraith Drone pointing a gun at his head is none other than... Rob!

The story concludes!

Si.