Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

The ending isn't a perfect happy ending. The Baron believes he is doing right, but in actual fact he is wiping out most of the Skraith just to end the war! Morally, that's far from heroic? But I guess it's the questions there that are open to debate. And perhaps that's the way things are - like a lot of extremists today, often things are done in the belief that they are right (and for peace), when in actual fact they arn't.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow
    I will admit though, and I hope it won't upset anyone, that I did feel slightly disappointed that the Doctor didn't really save the day. Particularly given his outrage when the Baron's plan was first suggested, I'd have hoped the Doctor might have had something to do with the conclusion - somehow the ending didn't quite 'feel' right.
    I must confess I'd not really thought of it as the Doctor not really saving the day. I think he was just more concerned with freeing the Humans from the Skraith's control than he was with the whole war situation. It is ultimately the Doctor who has helped the Baron to see some of the mistakes he has made (dating back to his actions in TPM), so I think in a more subtle way, he sort of does save the day...

That's a good point Martin, I must admit I hadn't thought of it that way.

I have to say I've been thinking about this a lot since last night, and I think what was really niggling at me is that I'd have probably liked to see the Doctor at least considering alternatives rather than just stood there saying, "There must be another way"... before then reaching the tragic conclusion that there IS no other way to save the world.

Can I just add though, the fact that we can sit here discussing this as a Doctor Who story is a real testament to the whole set-up. By which I mean, I'm not sat here listening to Paul and Rob and Dave, and oh! there's Pip and that's Martin, and was that Jonno? Etc, etc. This isn't listening to PS posters 'doing a Who' anymore, it's a Doctor Who story and just as 'real' as the TV or BF productions.

This is going to sound like an excuse, but there was actually significantly more protest from the Doctor in the script, but in order to keep it tight and to the incredibly crushing limitations of disc space and 'reasonable episode length', a lot of it had to be cut! In fact, there is dialogue indications that Kane actually has to restrain the Doctor to stop him trying to prevent the Baron teleporting onto the ship... but, alas, for timing reasons we wern't able to keep it!

Si.

You can imagine me sounding like my avatar now, as I say, "Ah!" That sounds more like how I would have expected the Doctor to act & react, but I can understand the importance of keeping some kind of limit on running time. Thanks Si. Maybe some kind of Fenric-y movie-length version beckons in the future...

But can I just reiterate, it didn't wreck my enjoyment, I didn't come away slamming the keyboard or punching my fist through the screen, it was just a niggle, something which didn't quite work for me (and as ever, it's always a personal thing - I don't think any Who story ever has produced a universal reaction amongst fans).

There are deleted scenes galore, but alas not even room on the CD! It's a tragedy!

Si.

Andrew Pixley's gonna have a field day, when he finally stops dilly-dallying on DWM and gets onto the PS audios!

Can I just add though, the fact that we can sit here discussing this as a Doctor Who story is a real testament to the whole set-up. By which I mean, I'm not sat here listening to Paul and Rob and Dave, and oh! there's Pip and that's Martin, and was that Jonno? Etc, etc. This isn't listening to PS posters 'doing a Who' anymore, it's a Doctor Who story and just as 'real' as the TV or BF productions
    What a wonderful compliment. I think Martin should be very proud of the discussion this story has provoked- not all the TV shows get this level of attention!

I don't know why, but I found the last scene with the Doctor and Rob and Nick rather crass in some ways. I know Nick is supposed to be rather innocent in some ways, but I felt that perhaps he'd have been more worldly wise than he came across here. I'm sure he must have seen the future of Earth before and known that it's not all sweetness and light. I think it might have made sense coming from Rob- or rewritten a little to make it a little less obvious.

But otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and having admitted I didn't like The Paradise Machine much, I think this was a huge leap forward in Martin's writing. Well done!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    What a wonderful compliment. I think Martin should be very proud of the discussion this story has provoked- not all the TV shows get this level of attention!
    Indeed, it's been very interesting reading people's feedback and the discussion going on here.

I don't know why, but I found the last scene with the Doctor and Rob and Nick rather crass in some ways. I know Nick is supposed to be rather innocent in some ways, but I felt that perhaps he'd have been more worldly wise than he came across here. I'm sure he must have seen the future of Earth before and known that it's not all sweetness and light. I think it might have made sense coming from Rob- or rewritten a little to make it a little less obvious.
    If there's one bit I didn't like, it was my ending. I struggled to write something that was meaningful, but I think it ended up coming across as a bit overly soppy and sweet. I talked with Si about it, and he cut some of it to make it better, but I generally thought it could have been better.

I was generally writing it from the point of view that Nick and Rob had been to the future before, but never really seen what became of Earth.

But otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and having admitted I didn't like The Paradise Machine much, I think this was a huge leap forward in Martin's writing. Well done!
    Si xx
    Thanks Si! I know you weren't overly keen on TPM, so I really appreciate that.

An evil banker??? Surely at the minute it's world governments who are bailing out banks and not visa verca!

It's been a quiet week, and I've got internet finally sorted, so I've been listening to PS stories backwards. Well not actually backwards, because I wouldn't understand them, but you know what I mean.

I enjoyed this. I found there were segments where the writing and execution were probably amongst the seasons best. A dark theme. Comedy which was funny without trying too hard to play for laughs. And a really unpleasant but compelling villain, who probably rates as PS audios best recurring character.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    I enjoyed this. I found there were segments where the writing and execution were probably amongst the seasons best. A dark theme. Comedy which was funny without trying too hard to play for laughs. And a really unpleasant but compelling villain, who probably rates as PS audios best recurring character.
    Thanks for the kinds words Mike, I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

I know I was the second seasons greatest critic on certain topics last year, feeling some stories whether by the script or editing were unclear regarding what was going on plot wise ("X-Files syndrome"), had the Doctor behaving in slightly un-Doctorish ways ("Colin Baker syndrome"), or generally felt like the ending was rushed or hurried together ("Voyager syndrome").

But this year although the production values are better than ever, I feel the stories themselves feel that much more worked on, polished and developed.

My only niggle is ... no I'm keeping schtum ...

Some of my favourite Doctor Who stories are the ones like this where we are reminded that the Doctor isn't always in control of events and can't save everyone (for another good example of this see Big Finish's 8th Doctor play "To The Death").
    I'm actually slightly upset about the Baron. Can't remember feeling this sad about a DW character dying for a long time...
    Oh and the teaser bit at the end was cool.

I'm really proud of what we did with "Blood Money" and this was the start of our best season, IMO. I haven't (again) heard it since we did it, but I hope my Marshall Chedaki impression has held up well. I liked the atmosphere of war and tunnels, barbed wire and battling factions. Really glad you enjoyed it Richard!

Si.