Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Tim? I thought it was Baines... I've forgotten already and it was about an hour ago It wasn't just that sequence though, it was also what the young Tim says to him about what he's seen of the Doctor in the watch. It's just basically God, or some form of God. You could argue that it's apocryphal I suppose, but it's all up there on screen and all part of the tone of the story all the same, so doesn't really make much difference if it's 'true' or not. And we're certainly not given any reason to believe it isn't true. Anyway, I can't help it. I still think it's a good story in its own right, and very well made, but that sort of depiction of the Doctor's character really spoils it for me. It's certainly not the only new series story to depict him in that way, but it must be the most extreme example.

I know what you mean, but after 45 years isn't there room for everything? The Doctor's have always been different - and surely the Doctor has been dark and scheming since he manipulated Fenric 20 years ago? Or the Vardans ten years before?

I agree that some innocence, maybe even some eccentricity or lovability is lost when the Doctor is a lonely God, rather than an absent minded professor, but the series is so vast and can change so much that it never bothers me. Soon he'll regenerate and it could change back to how it was, or into something completely different.

Si.

It wasn't so much the scheming, in fact there wasn't really a lot of that in this story, it was the seeming sheer vindictiveness of the way he despatched the family at the end. If he was able to do all those things to them then he presumably had them completely under his power anyway, and they would have died within a few weeks, yet he kept at least 2 of them alive forever in torment. It's that kind of cruelty that I really found distasteful. Not distasteful full stop, as I quite like dark stories, but just distasteful for the Doctor to be doing those things. At least when he (apparently) wiped out the Daleks and the Cybermen he wasn't particularly cruel about it, just a little bit ruthless, after many years of seeing the misery they brought to the Universe.

And not only were his 'punishments' quite cruel for the Doctor, but the nature of them was just really weird too. Very fantasy-based, and didn't really seem to fit in with the style of the series at all. He has shown surprising new skills from time to time that seem to come from nowhere admittedly, but to believe he can suddenly trap people inside reflections and keep them alive forever as scarecrows way beyond their naturaly life cycle... it's a bit of a stretch. I know he's destined to become Merlin, but even so. I really did enjoy sitting through the episodes again though, and the story and performances are good. But I just can't reconcile the ending with what I've always seen of the Doctor's character at all, and that spoils it a lot for me, even if maybe it shouldn't. But it is a good story though, and I don't want to whinge for once, so I'll leave it at that

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    And not only were his 'punishments' quite cruel for the Doctor, but the nature of them was just really weird too. Very fantasy-based ... I know he's destined to become Merlin, but even so.
    Well don't forget all the "sufficiently advenced science is indistinguishable from magic" gubbins.

Or is that line's canonicity debatable?
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

I agree with ZH, though, that the 'punishments' at the end of FoBlood were very out of character, and even out of place in the TV show. They're far more the sort of thing that would have featured in the NAs (probably no surprise then, given the author) but even at the time I found them a bit strange in the TV show.

But, weirdly perhaps, I find the whole end of Human Nature very unsatisfying - from the Tennant, "In that year..." voiceover to the 'old Tim on remembrance day' scene at the end, it doesn't work for me. I still don't know why, and it's bizarre because I know an awful lot of people single out the war memorial scene at the end as one of their favourite pieces. I guess... I guess, thinking aloud, it's the question of "why are they doing that?" that niggles at me. It (arguably) makes for good TV, but narratively why are they doing that? It's the sort of thing that would work superbly in a book, where it would be far more 'throwaway' ("Maybe it was a trick of the light, but as he turned for a moment old Tim thought he saw two figures - a tall man, and a dark-skinned woman, poppies on their lapels... impossibly unchanged in 70 years...") but on TV it doesn't have that same kind of 'epilogue' charm.

Don't know, maybe I'm just quite wrong & quite mad. But for a man who had to, just had to, offer the Sontarans a choice he knew they'd never accept rather than just blow them up the punishments eeked out on the Family seem very out of character.

Good story though!!

Could people please be a bit more sensitive whilst discussing this story. The Bandying about of phrases like "old Tim" can cause far reaching damage to the self image & mental stability of certain fragile members on here.

Tim, we're all very sorry. From now on we'll refer to him as "old but still incredibly virile Tim" if that will help.

Currently watching (and very much enjoying) Part Two of "Ghost Light".
    Tom Simpson
    My Top Three: "The War Games", "The Caves of Androzani" & "Time-Flight".

For some reason I can't quite fathom right now, I have been watching Arc of Infinity.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

Did you shout HAT! when Maxil appeared?

No, he just clucks every time it appears.

Doctor Who and the Wolves of Fenric (and their Curse, too ).
    Tom Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Tom (MDB) View Post
    Doctor Who and the Wolves of Fenric (and their Curse, too ).
    It was actually Ghost Light Part Three last night.

I blame the heat.

The Curse begins tonight, though.
    Tom Simpson

Oh dear! How did you manage to get those two mixed up? Apart from Mark Ayres' music and the Doctor in a brown jacket, they're quite different! And the tone of the stories and the monster design are quite similar. And they're both from season 26. But that's about it!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I just watched Partners In Crime over on Three.

I think it's one of the best episodes of the new series ever.

(crickets chirping)

what?

...Oh, who am I kidding?

There are a couple of people who might agree with you, but only a couple.

I also particularly like Boom Town, New Earth, Fires of Pompeii and Sontaran Stratagem/Poison Sky.

Anyone still agreeing with me that those were among the best?

Thought not.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

I quite like New Earth & Fires of Pompeii.

I thought New Earth was one of the all-time turkeys, but what do I know!

It's only Harry & I that like it.

I now know how you feel about TatR & PT, Andrew.

Actually I think Si (Hunt) really likes NEarth as well.

Even so, that's still only three of you who are wrong!

I think "New Earth" is awful! - we have "Can I just say I love being with you", people who are given every disease ever and then cured by MIXING EVERY SOLUTION EVER into a big pot and showering them with it! And stupid 'bodyswapping' comedy antics.

It's redeemed only by the closing 'redemption of Cassandra' sequence which is one of the most beautiful ever.

Si.

I like New Earth, Boom Town,Fires and the Sontaran episodes. I have watched Partners on BBC 3 and it is growing on me. Am I the only person that thinks Donna is the best companion?
    I hope what I just wrote made sense, it did when I was thinking it.

Partners in Crime is a joyful episode.

New Earth is not aging well. I quite liked it at the time, but it's a struggle to maintain any enthusiasm for it now- though The Face of Boe teleporting is still a magic moment.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Sorry Si (Hunt) I didn't mean to misrepresent you. I certainly remembered you praising something, but having seen your post yes, it was the 'Cassandra' element rather than the whole messy thing!!

I'm actually rewatching t'new series at the moment (next up TPOTW) so will shortly be subjecting myself to New Earth for the first time in 3+ years. Maybe I'll have warmed to it...?