Thread: Blur

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Blur

Blur have announced the release of their second best-of compilation.

The career-spanning Midlife, which includes 25 tracks over two discs, will be available from June 15.

The compilation from the recently-reformed group features the first album appearance of 1992's non-LP single 'Popscene'.

Blur released the 18-track The Best Of Blur in 2000.

The full tracklisting of Midlife is as follows:

CD One

'Beetlebum'
    'Girls & Boys'
    'For Tomorrow'
    'Coffee & TV'
    'Out Of Time'
    'Blue Jeans'
    'Song 2'
    'Bugman'
    'He Thought Of Cars'
    'Death Of A Party'
    'The Universal'
    'Sing'
    'This Is A Low'
    CD Two

'Tender'
    'She's So High'
    'Chemical World'
    'Good Song'
    'Parklife'
    'Advert'
    'Popscene'
    'Stereotypes'
    'Trimm Trabb'
    'Badhead'
    'Strange News From Another Star'
    'Battery In Your Leg'
    I'm not a blur expert but looks like some eccentric non-single choices there, perhaps fans could confirm? Anything missing?

Use this thread to share your devotion to Colchester's finest!

Si.

Hang on, where's "Country House"? And "Charming Man"?

Si.

Hmm- not so much a singles collection, more a collection of the best Blur songs it seems. There's No Other Way seems to be another major omission, but I'm glad to see Popscene getting a look in this time round, along with Chemical World which is a huge favourite of mine.
    Looking at it, it's pretty strong collection- there are some very good album tracks included there.

I might get this one too. You never know.

Anyway, as I've said before Blur were my Britpop band. I adored them and they're a band I've always come back to since, aside from 13 which was a bit rubbish overall.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

No End Of A Century! That's one of their best songs.

Actually I'm going to be controversially nice and say it's quite good to get a compilation with a few unusual choices on it - people like Si who are fans and have all the songs already could probably justify buying it just to listen to. Especially as there is already a Blur Singles Collection.

Some might be dissapointed there's no new song though, given they're back together rehearsing now.

Si.

Has 'Popscene' really never been on an album? I'd forgotten about that, it's tucked away on the japanese copy of 'Parklife' I've got somewhere, IIRC.

Was talking about Blur in the pub a couple of days ago, the consensus was that 'Modern Life' is in dire need of remastering. And for the life of me I couldn't remember anything about 'Think Tank', even the name of it's lead single. And I saw them on that tour!

Ok compilation, I suppose, but Midlife Crisis would have made a better title.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Pip Madeley Guest

Where's "To The End"? Ridiculous.

I was seriously going to buy this but then...
    Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Hang on, where's "Country House"? And "Charming Man"?

Si.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    No End Of A Century! That's one of their best songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Where's "To The End"? Ridiculous.
    And I also notice no M.O.R. or On Your Own either.
    I suppose that'll be for the "third" best of they'll bring out in a few years time then?

I wonder if they'll play "Country House" in their forthcoming concerts?

Ahhh, this might be more interesting.....

A 4CD Blur Boxset of previously unreleased tracks and rarities will be released later in the summer.

Also, I believe Blur have been confirmed as guests on the Jonathan Ross show on June 19th.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Oooh! That's something I might think about getting.

Si xx

Cover:

Hooray for Blue Gazelles!

Si xx

New single about to be released!

Blur have announced that they are to release a new single, their first in seven years.

The band went their separate ways in 2002 after guitarist Graham Coxon left while recording their last album Think Tank.

Blur reformed for a series of gigs last year and have decided to release a new track as part of this year's Record Store Day, which celebrates the importance of independent record stores.

Frontman Damon Albarn, who recently claimed that he is ready to move on from the band, said: "We want independent record stores to continue - they're an important part of our musical culture. Music is a simple way for Blur to show our support and we hope people like it."

Just 1,000 copies of the single will be released through independent stores on April 17.

Fab! Except...

I don't live anywhere near one of the shops particiapting in Recordstore day.

Si xx

It'll probably turn up on youtube or some fan blog if you don't mind not having the physical thing.

I really don't get the point of Record Store Day, it seems to be very self-defeating....

Gaaaaah! There's a Pet Shop Boys single too which is limited edition vinyl.

Really, this for me is a huge encouragement to illegally download. I can't buy it digitally, so I'm just going to have to hop into the blogs and see if I can get it that way. If I see the new Kelis single while I'm there, it's going to be harder than usual to justify pinching one and not the other.

So hurrah for Independent Record Store Day - teaching me how to steal music again.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post

So hurrah for Independent Record Store Day - teaching me how to steal music again.
    That's exactly what I was thinking, Si. A very silly idea, imo.

Out of interest, do you know which stores are selling the PSB one?

I don't. I wouldn't have a clue where the nearest record shop was, so I'll just be Google Blogging and hoping to find it.

Si.

The Blur track is called "Fool's Day".

Si.

Turns out you can download it for free at: http://www.blur.co.uk/

Si xx

Is it any good?

Yes, I liked it.

Si xx

New Album on the way?

Rockers Blur have returned to the recording studio and are planning to release a new album - just weeks after the band's label boss called for a new record. Skip related content
    Related photos / videos Blur bow in to album pressure Enlarge photo The Parklife hitmakers released their last album, Think Tank, in 2003, shortly after guitarist Graham Coxon walked away from the band during recording.

They successfully returned to the stage last year for a series of gigs, and recently released a limited edition vinyl single as part of a campaign to save record stores.

Parlophone Records president Miles Leonard subsequently urged the group to get back in the studio and give fans what they want - a new album.

Now, frontman Damon Albarn has confirmed the band will release a collection of new tracks in the "undetermined" future.

He tells NME, "I'm definitely going to do a few more of those seven-inches (vinyl records) and at some point in the undetermined future there will be a record at the end of it.

"I love the no pressure aspect. Just going in the studio and recording it in a day is something we haven't done since the B-sides in the early days.

"We can't do it all the time. So I don't want anyone to think there's an album coming soon, it's not possible, but we've got songs!"

Si xx

He's changed his tune, hasn't he? A few months ago it was all 'We'll never record as Blur again' and now it's all albums and singles.

I think it'd be fab if they release the odd single from time to time. In fact, perhaps most bands should adopt that approach.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!