Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I made a rather savoury rhubarb crumble on sunday. I didn't put enough sugar in the topping or with the fruit, so it wasn't as delightful as it should have been. The topping to fruit ratio was right off as well- not enough fruit too much crumble.

Someday I'll learn to follow a recipie instead of guessing it all. I don't know better than the recipe book it seems.

On the plus side the custard was nice.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Even with a recipe crumble just sometimes doesn't work.

Now that autumn's here it's time for lots of soups and casseroles . Made cream of onion on Saturday, and broke in my new 6.5 litre slow cooker with a hearty chicken casserole.
    Bazinga !

I've prepared another crumble for this evening. Hoepfully the ratios are better, and the topping is somewhat sweeter than the last one.

Thanks to Kinggoose, we've got lovely apples fresh from the tree, so some are in the crumble, the rest are stewing on the hob at the moment. If there's one thing I like almost as much as crumble it's stewed fruit. This stewed apple will be carefully frozen, ready to be eaten at some later date.

Si xx

Grrr - we used to have an apple tree in our house in Stapenhill, and much like you're doing we'd freeze a lot of it.

So it'd be almost 6 months of apple crumble, apple pie, apple sponge, apple surprise ... it'd lose it's appeal faster than you'd think - lol!
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

not forgetting somerset apple cake

P.S. what's the surprise in 'apple surprise' ?
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Members with weak stomachs, look away now. This is what I am about to concoct.

First off, I have one ten-inch square silver kebab tray left over from last night. In this I am going to combine -

One (1) Co-Operative Cheese Layered Salad (lettuce, cucumber pasta and grated carrot topped with mayonnaise and grated chaddar cheese)

The filling of one (1) Cranks "Cheezy Gonzales" Wrap (a flour tortilla containing grated Monterey Jack cheese, tomato salsa and guacamole)

The filling of one (1) Ginsters Peppered Steak Slice (no explanation necessary)

The filling of one (1) Ginsters Southern Fried Chicken Wrap (that's right, Ginsters are branching out nowadays).

Add HP Woodsmoke Barbecue Sauce, Linghams Sweet Chilli Sauce, and a dash of Pepsi-Cola.

I'll report back later on how it tasted - if I survive.
    Last edited by shada pavlova; 29th Nov 2011 at 12:58 AM.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Nice knowing you, SP.

I've just put some mince pies in the oven. Will they live? Or die!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Will they last more than a day??

Double cake bake tonight to take to work tomorrow (new work place tradition) - lemon drizzle, and a made -up recipe along the same lines but containing dessicated coconut and glace cherries.
    Bazinga !

Nom nom nom - cakes. Lemon Drizzle!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

A microwavable curry. The cooker and/or hob have decided to trip the fuse box whenever they are switched on and plunge the whole house into darkness. Which means I'm without either - I feel like I've lost a limb!

Si.

Been easing my oven back in. First an omelette, then some chips, this afternoon an enormous chocolate cake and this evening some carbona pasta with chicken.

Si.

I don't know which one of us is going to end up cooking it.. it was originally supposed to be me, but we are going to try to make an eggplant parmesan without any real cheese, by attempting to make a cheese substitute with soft tofu. We'll see.

I made Beef Pie from scratch for tea last night - and though I say it myself, it wasn't half bad!

Mmmm to Andrew's beef pie.

Tonight I'm making lamb chilli with tomatoes, mushrooms, tumeric and basmati rice. Yum!

Si.

Smoked Cod in parsley sauce with mash and peas and carrots tonight. It's a variation of my all time favourite meal. If I had to have one last dinner, mash, peas, fish and parsley sauce would be it!

The sauce was a bit lumpy- too much corn flour (this is the problem with guessing your measures) but the fish was wonderful. I love smoked fish.

Steak. On the grill. Man cooking.

I hope it was extra, extra rare.

Did toad in the hole with veg last night. The batter mix is really easy - flour, eggs, milk and some dijon mustard for flavour. It wasn't quite as nice as the last time I did it though, I think I overcooked it a bit. Hopefully the lack of any potatoes will help our carb intake.

My new fish cookbook arrived yesterday so tonight I'm trying something simple from that - salmon parcels in craime fraiche and taragon with leeks. I'm customising it by adding mushrooms and garlic (because I add those things to everything), all you do is wrap everything up in little grease paper parcels and cook in the microwave for five minutes! perfect for a gym night. I'll do it with green beans and jacket potatoes.

I already had some salmon fillets and tarragon so all I needed to buy was the fresh vegetables and a small pot of craime fraiche.

Si.

Steve did a great new recipie last night- Pork chops with Apricots and peppers. Had a lovely spicy sauce too. Lovely!

The days of eating recipes from the Doctor Who Cook Book are long over it seems!

Last night I made pork and apricot casserole from the Low Carb Low Fat cookbook. I cut off all the fat from the pork loin steaks before cooking - then served it up with fried potatoes. Yum!

My favourite way of doing potatoes is fried - I buy baby new potatoes, slice them up, boil them for 15 minutes then fry then until they go brown and crisp. Lovely! You can also fry them with garlic.

This weekend the butchers had a tray of oak-smoked garlic cloves alongside the usual ones. They smell like a log fire. However, like all garlic, I struggled to taste much difference in the resultant meal no matter how much I put in!

Si.

I love mashed potatoes best of all with a bit of milk and margarine- lovely and fluffy and creamy!

However, like all garlic, I struggled to taste much difference in the resultant meal no matter how much I put in!
    Stinky breath lies that way!!!!

We both seem to be immune, it's terrible. I put three cloves in every night and we still can't taste it. Still, it's good for you innit.

I don't THINK my breath stinks. Someone tell me if it does.

Si.