Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I've just done the first two of these, and they're absolutely wonderful! I can't wait to hear the rest. Rather than individual reviews, I'll be waiting till I've done all five, and review the mini-series as a whole.

For now, all I'll say is... I LOVE Mrs Wibbsey!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

According to the new Radio Times, at least the first three stories of Hornet's Nest are being broadcast on Radio 4 Extra next week.
    Bazinga !

The whole series is on in 10 episodes from Monday to Friday at 6pm over the two weeks leading up to Christmas. A very lovely present from Radio 4 Extra!

Very excited to hear this get trailed following the World at One on Radio 4 earlier this afternoon. Tune in tomorrow evening at 6pm (or if like me you're not home from work in time listen on BBCiplayer!)

I know this is two-year old news, but hey, I'm behind the times. I started listening to "Hornet's Nest" this morning.

It's very worthy isn't it? Great prose, and sounds somewhat more dignified and "afternoon play"-esque than Big Finish's "throw everything including the kitchen sink" sound effects approach.

It also sounds quite unlike the era. It's like something Tom himself might have written, housekeepers, stuffed animals and so on.

Good so far though.

Si.

Like Si, I've come to this late - loved the first episode! I listened whilst the rain & wind were raging outside so the atmosphere was enhanced greatly! The idea of stuffed animals coming to life and running amok is a good one! Can't wait for tmw's installment!

This is the perfect time of year for it; the stories are all very Christmas-ey.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

How did I overlook this? It's absolutely superb. Very eccentric, and Tom is quite brilliant. I loved the line "He was killed by rampaging dogs in the supermarket while he bought tinned almonds for tea" and other such detail. The last line is Yates going "OOOoooooh!" and then Tom says "Yeah." and the titles crash in.

Absolutely wonderful. "The Dead Shoes" next.

Si.

I'm so glad you're all enjoying these at last- we really loved the first series of Toms!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Si, as I'm sure I'm not the only one listening to this on the radio this week could you please try and avoid posting spoilers for episodes which haven't been broadcast yet.

Just heard part 1 and have to say this is absolutely perfect for Tom. No other Doctor could've pulled it off without sounding completely ridiculous. Wonderful barmy stuff and the lovely Daniel Hill was almost unrecognisable.

Where was my spoiler?

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Where was my spoiler?

Si.
    I appreciate it doesn't have any bearing on the enjoyment of the overall story but unless I've misunderstood your last post you did just quote the very ending of Part 2 which is on Radio4 Extra tonight.
    Certainly not a ruiner by any stretch of the imagination so don't worry but the definition of what is a teaser and what is a spoiler is always a thin line and it would have been a nice moment to experience as a surprise.

I know spoilers are a contentious issue everywhere, but bear in mind while you are experiencing these for the first time, others aren't- these stories are 2 years old now, and I wouldn't expect to see anything spoiler tagged within them.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Only Tom Baker could make me want to go to Cromer! Part 2 even quirkier than Part 1, with the description of the hornet-infested stuffed fauna quite chilling. Really enjoying this - and it sounds like Tom is too. Ready for Part 3 now!

It's really rather marvellous isn't it. I can't wait for the next episode.

(and sorry for getting in a tis yesterday I was a bit overtired from an unexpected night of drinking on Monday )

I'm seriously thinking I may have to buy Demon Quest and Serpent Crest now!

I've done the "Dead Shoes" which is another excellent one. I love the world that the writer and cast harness with the detailed script and the subject matter; it's all dusty, decayed things, stuff animals, circuses, sort of old English gothic horror. Tom is barking and I picture him not as a post Season 15 Doctor but some sort of barmy offshoot, as if Tom NOW was playing the Doctor, although his voice doesn't seem to have changed much since the "State of Decay" audiobook.

Si.

"Dessicated and putty-coloured". No not me, The Dead Shoes Part 1 :-) Loved the way Tom says "Good old MOOCH about". And how many different ways can one say "Mrs Wibbsey"! This is delightful stuff, and well worth forking out a few Danobian Slime Dollars if you fancy a repeat listen or two!

The first story has some of my favourite dialogue ever...

The Doctor: "breakfast smells wonderful, Mrs Wibbsey... I may show you all of time and space one day" (or something similar)
    Mrs Wibbsey: "go boil yer 'ead"
    The Doctor: "wonderful woman!"

I love it!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

It may just be I'm finding my last couple of days of being in the office this year extremely dull but I found I started losing interest during The Circus of Doom this afternoon. However I shall still persevere tomorrow with A Sting in the Tail as these are very well written and performed.

"sputum, venom & pulp".... no it's not my office party - it's "The Hive of Doom". Just about to listen to the last part of The Hornet's Nest on iplayer. Come on Mike, pull yourself together!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    "sputum, venom & pulp"
    Just like Tom to slip in a plug for his legal advisors!

Listened to the last episode this morning. Excellent stuff! Made all the better by having the last few episodes introduced by Father Lionel Fanthorpe who has THE best radio voice!