Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I'd better be careful- he might be falling out with his script editor any time around now!

I'm really pleased Jon liked it so much!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

One of the interesting things about listening back to a story after it's been script edited is finding bits that make you say 'That wasn't me!' Which can be fine if it's a small detail, annoying if you don't like it so much and really annoying if it's better than what you originally wrote! Did you pick up on any alien influences in your story, Jon? What did you think of them?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    One of the interesting things about listening back to a story after it's been script edited is finding bits that make you say 'That wasn't me!' Which can be fine if it's a small detail, annoying if you don't like it so much and really annoying if it's better than what you originally wrote! Did you pick up on any alien influences in your story, Jon? What did you think of them?
    The whole experience was a bit weird TBH - like watching a DW story that you know really well, and then suddenly being surprised by something you've misremembered. Since both Si and Si had had to have a good go at the scripts anyway to get them up to scratch, even before it went to production, there were bits that I was convinced must have been made up on the spot - only to go back and find they were in the script (and one of them I'd written ). Almost all of them I knew about and was very happy with.

Then of course it all has to be editted again after recording to fit to time, so while there's the odd geeky fanw'#kish line I noticed was missing, Si has done a very good job in keeping all the good bits and trimming the inconsequential guff that writers stick in for the sake of it.

If I was to change anything I'd get rid of almost everyone telling you that its 3 YEARS since the HOP started (that was my fault) , and I've realised that there are two almost identical lines by the same character in Ep 1 and 2 (but which I'm hoping , after listening to the trailer, has already been spotted and changed...)
    Bazinga !

I hope that wasn't three years solid writing.

It's often quite hard to tell, especially with your first effort, how the pacing of the story will come out. That's why it always changes in the final edit. For example I've completely shredded one of the scenes in upcoming 'Wealth of Craytians', splitting up all the dialogue and sprinkling it around two existing scenes. And in a moment of total self-indulgence I created an entirely new scene made up of just sound effects.

I also had palpitations when the Christmas Gnomes was being trimmed, but it turned out OK. Even if it involved a canceled trip to Peladon!

It makes you realise that not every line is vital, as long as the sense and the heart of the story remains.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

This won't be of any comfort to Jon, but Episode 2 had to be trimmed much more than Episode 1 - there's a really meaty scene between two characters but, while it's lovely, it also originally went on for about fifteen minutes, so you have the roundedness of the episode to think about, not to mention the length of the episode which has to have a certain ceiling to be digestable. I'm not sorry to say that when it comes to editing, I don't care in the slightest about the writer, just in making the episode sound right!

Si.

Well that's torn it!

Excellent episode this one, infact it might rival as one of the best. Lots of little nods back to the original series & I'm loving it. Can't wait to see how the Doctor gets out of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I'm not sorry to say that when it comes to editing, I don't care in the slightest about the writer, just in making the episode sound right!

Si.
    And that's exactly as it should be
    Bazinga !

Very good stuff so far!

Will listen to it tomorrow. After all the hype it better bloody well be good!

Actually this is the story I'm most nervous about hearing back. I'll probably cringing a lot listening to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters
    Martin makes me laugh every time with his Torchwood line and his Sean Connery
    I very much enjoyed the Sean Connery moment!

I'm sure you did, 'Martinpenny'...

Penny Galore, surely?

I've realised that there are two almost identical lines by the same character in Ep 1 and 2 (but which I'm hoping , after listening to the trailer, has already been spotted and changed...)
    Do you mean "All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"? I'm afraid that HAS slipped into both episodes! But it's feasible that the Rev would make the quotation twice?

Si.

It's a good line though.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Do you mean "All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"? I'm afraid that HAS slipped into both episodes! But it's feasible that the Rev would make the quotation twice?

Si.
    I did, but as you say its fine - and he is saying it to different people (and we know how much vicars repeat themselves ) I only noticed it because (a) It was the first time that I'd read through the whole script - up until then it had been separate episodes and (b) there was a line in the trailer I didn't recognise which I thought was a very good replacement if that's what had happened.

I'm a bit nervous that neither Wayne or the Doctor himself have expressed any comment yet...

Oh, and I'm away with another Cub camp at the weekend, so you can say what you like about part 2 so long as you erase the posts before Monday !!
    Bazinga !

Don't worry Jon. I'm waiting to hear part 2 before commenting. Especially as its a big episode for me.
    So far though its all good

After I posted I thought you might be waiting to review it as a whole - and no review is always a good review
    Bazinga !

I like how, when not playing an intergalactic nobleman, Pip is usually cast as the voice of the common man in the audio's. Taxi driver, doorman, street hawker...

Pip is the voice of the everyman in the same way I am the voice of the future!

Si xx

Wayne is away, and anyway I think he often waits for the CD to hear them as his download speed is slow!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Penny View Post
    I like how, when not playing an intergalactic nobleman, Pip is usually cast as the voice of the common man in the audio's. Taxi driver, doorman, street hawker...
    Three different accents, all appalling!

Afraid I haven't got round to listening to this yet, but thank you all for the kind comments *sniff*

I owe it all to God.

Wayne Guest

Jon, i'm really interested in listening to your story, honest!
    I just haven't had the time. I've had a lot on lately, & i'll probably end up waiting for the CD now. But i shall be giving my full attention in due course, Promise!

Episode 2 Now On-line!: Right Click and 'Save Target As...' to save it!

A bit early, but we're having an early night as we have celebs to look after tomorrow!

Si.

Oooh! What a treat! Downloading now.

Si xx