Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Doctor Who - The Hand of Peace!

Coming this Saturday... a brand new Planet Skaro Audios adventure! Presenting...

Last week we saw the Doctor, Rob and Nick end their adventures on Future Earth in truly bittersweet fashion, with perhaps more being lost than won, even if Earth is now (will be?) safe. But the escapade also left some unanswered questions which vigilent listeners will have to wait for later in the season to have answered!

For now though, we flit, as only we can, to another epistopic interface in the Doctors spectrum for our new story - show me an earlier period, your excellency... show me the Doctor's adventures with young Edward Bradley...

It's 2012, and with natural and man-made disasters striking all over the world, it seems that only the Hand of Peace organisation have all the answers. But is there such a thing as a quick fix? Edward Bradley (Martin Penny) is once again working undercover, this time with UNIT, while the Doctor (played, as ever, by Paul Monk) is on a quest of his own - to find an old friend...

We give you The Hand of Peace, a rather different flavoured audio story than those we've attempted before. We always try to involve new writers in our humble projects, and this time we were delighted to be sent a "pitch" (as people in the know call these things!) from popular PS poster and all-round goodie Jon Masters. So how did Jon come up with his idea for this tale? I tracked him down to his luxury country estate to ask him.

"I ended up with three possibilities," mused Jon, after quickly dismissing a servant and igniting an enormous cigar. "A historical where the Doctor becomes increasingly ill and incapacitated, an Earth-UNIT story with a number of possible old monsters, and a future colony with a huge backdrop and an old monster. I then spent a long time foolishly researching the historical when news came back that the UNIT story was preferred."

So was it hard to jump feet-first into writing for an established series of characters? Jon stares at me intently for forty silent minutes before answering. "I listened to Paul's and Martin's performances as much as possible to try to get their voices in my head," he explains. "There were certain scenes that just jumped out – I think I wrote the big finale and the cliffhanger scenes first."

Regular listeners will relish the mention of UNIT, as well as the near-contemporary setting that we rarely seem to get round to exploring on audio, what with having planets and space and things to explore. But where Jon's story triumphs is in serving up some really meaty character scenes, particuarly for Paul Monk's Doctor, not to mention a few genuine surprises. You'd frankly have to be some kind of ruddy idiot not to log on to the forum this Saturday 30th May, and download Episode 1.

"What would happen if two fundamental truths of the Doctor's world turned out to be not true at all?" Jon says cryptically, hurling another slave on to the fire and levelling an almighty and not unsinister wink at his waiting audience.

Regular listeners will be surprised to see PS Audios stalwart Dave Tudor in the cast for this story... but not as companion Nick! This year we wanted to allow our regular companion actors a bit of a freedom to exploit their obvious vocal talents in different roles. So over the course of the season, you'll hear both Mr Tudor and Rob McCow actor Steve Alexander portraying quite different characters than you're used to - but trust us, it works a treat.

The Hand of Peace stars Paul Monk as the Doctor, Martin Penny as Edward Bradley, Jonno Simmons as Doctor Jorgen and Dave Tudor as Reverend Philip Walker, with Katherine Riedtmann as Major Davies. Check back this Saturday for a free download!

Si.

Excellent! I can't wait.

Blimey! The cover is terrifying!

I'm really looking forward to hearing this one. The actors were giving it their all during the recording and it sounded great even without the many, mnay benefits of Si's brilliant production skills. I think this is going to be a tremendous story with a whole host of surprises in store for you all...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!! Paul!!!!

I've managed for once to avoid getting involved in the production, so I have no idea what happens in this one! I'm really looking forward to it!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Another striking cover, different to any of the others so far. Although frankly Paul is so terrifying on that cover that I may have to go and hide behind the settee!!

I tracked him down to his luxury country estate to ask him

It's amazing how much PS writers get paid!

Si xx

for Pip's excellent cover - even bigger than when I saw it last. And to DW adventures for providing Ed's beret at a jaunty angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post

I tracked him down to his luxury country estate to ask him.

Si.
    I think Si's been channelling the spirit of Ben Cook here, or another me in another dimension is doing a darned sight better than I am

As the editting staff know, I've been ridiculously excited about this ever since the recording day, and can't wait to hear what it sounds like on Saturday
    (if only to hear how Si pulled off the scene of Wembley Stadium filled with Cheetah people and Kittlings )

"What would happen if two fundamental truths of the Doctor's world turned out to be not true at all?" Jon says cryptically, hurling another slave on to the fire and levelling an almighty and not unsinister wink at his waiting audience.
    Read that last sentence very carefully, Tim, before you add anything
    Bazinga !

Love the cover! The hand looks very ominous and Paul looks terrifying! (Him glaring at me throughout the photo shoot was highly unnerving!)

Those U.N.I.T berets were surprisingly large for a child's toy! Either that or I have a tiny head.

Despite being in this one, I was back and forth between doing Ed and Garane so much on the day that I seem to have forgotten most of what happens in this story!

Very much looking forward to it!

Glad I managed to unnerve you Martin!

Great cover Pip, although I'm struggling to look at myself on that one.

How ironic, Paul!

Look at those eyes! Could this be the first Doctor Who becomes a vampire story?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

You know you're arrived, Paul, when your Doctor is getting chance to dress up in something different!

We didn't notice til the photo shoot day that Jon had sneaked a line into his script about the Doctor having a new coat!

I'm going to have to add something to the guidelines to stop people doing that! One fun-loving quip about a sombrero, and our photos could be worthless!

Si.

Yes but luckily Pip's coat was on hand to grab on the way out of your house.

We didn't notice til the photo shoot day that Jon had sneaked a line into his script about the Doctor having a new coat!

That was one of my additions. Sorry.

Si xx

Isn't the planet of the feather-boer-wearing-but-otherwise-naked dwarves on the list for a visit, somewhere in the turd galaxy?

Quiet you.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I can't ever throw my coat away now. It'll be on show in some museum in New York one day...

It was a nice coat. Although it was quite heavy.

I much prefer your usual one.

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    It was a nice coat. Although it was quite heavy.
    It is a bit, even on me! Maybe next time you can wear my grey one (Season 17 esque).

Wayne Guest

This one sounds exciting! I shall look forward to it!
    I too must add my congrats to Pip, who's managed to produce yet another brilliant, & unique to itself cover.
    Oh, and:

"I ended up with three possibilities," mused Jon, after quickly dismissing a servant and igniting an enormous cigar.

I can't wait for Saturday, brilliant trailer.
    I hope what I just wrote made sense, it did when I was thinking it.

I'm sitting here with it playing on continuous loop and a stupid big grin on my face.

That's really made my day
    Bazinga !

Wow. Thats so cool. And just who is that evil sounding fella at the end?