Thread: Linux anywone?

Default Linux anywone?

Hi,

I got a B-Tec National Diploma in computing 20 years ago. Haven't made much
    use of it, but the only thing that has really got me excited is Linux and the whole open source thing. I think this could be the future of computing. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

It could be the future of computing, but Microsoft would have to put a big foot wrong for it to be accepted.

99% of people won't change the operating system that they get with their PC in my experience. I got an EeePC with Linux and OpenOffice last year and I have no intention of installing XP on it!

So if ever PCs start getting sold with Linux in a mainstream, major way, then I'd expect to see some big changes. That's what I reckon.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I've got an old Windows xp computer up in the loft which I intend to install Linux on soon, just out of curiosity. I've heard a lot about it, but when you spend hundreds of pounds on a new pc with Windows preinstalled it's perfectly understandable that people don't change the operating system in case it screws things up. To me, using an old pc to explore what Linux is about is the best way to proceed.

I don't think Microsoft will loose Windows on the Desktop, but they could loose Windows on the Intel/AMD (x86/x64) chips on the Server.

This website is hosted on a Linux server and there aren't any plans to change that !
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

The thing that concerns me is - I am with British Telecom and they say they only support Windows. Similarly, I want to get an wifi radio, but they too seem to only support Windows.
    How am I supposed to manage?

I suppose it couldn't hurt to mention that in a couple of weeks, my school is sending me on a two-day Linux Induction Course, designed to sap our willpower and force us to capitulate to the enemy.

Fun fun fun.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

We had Linux at university and I never liked it. Windows often looks a bit cartoonish and treats you like an idiot, but at least you can usually muddle through when things go a bit wrong. With Linux it was just phone the IT guy and wait. It didn't help that everyone in the office was running a different version of either, because we couldn't even pool our knowledge then. I'd dread to use it at home where I don't have an IT guy on the end of a phone.

It's not like I would even consider myself a total ignoramus when it comes to computers. I've been using them since I was about 4 years old when the Spectrum was around, and I've used them ever since both at home and at university, done quite a bit of programming etc. But still you REALLY need to be into computers to get the most out of linux (and to not have a nervous breakdown when things go wrong). I'm sure if you are really into computers then it's probably better for you than Windows. But for 99.9999% of the population, that's not applicable. In my opinion.