Thread: Dracula

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dracula

Is anyone going to watch Dracula on BBC1 tonight?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/dracula/

Marc Warren is looking good in the trailer/publicity pics and Sophia Myles gets some sex scenes. That's got to be better than watching Tidybeard on BBC2 (repeated on Sunday @ 6:10pm) or Perfect Parents starring that gurning guy with the funny ears on ITV1.

stv are showing Tennants from Hell and Scotsport from 9-11pm tonight, so I've got even less choice. flash

Just a reminder that there's also Transylvania Babylon on BBC Four at 10:30pm (repeated 3:00am) tonight:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/listing...ervice_id=4544

Transylvania Babylon
    Thu 28 Dec, 22:30-23:00 30mins

The Lives and Loves of Count Dracula: A comic exploration of the cult of Dracula. From Bela Lugosi to blood-sucking bikes, with a Mexican tag-wrestling version thrown in for good measure. [S]

I'm looking forward to this, although it's had mixed previews. Will it be as good as the 1977 BBC adaptation starring Louis Jourdan?

Incidentally, does anyone know the piece of instrumental music used in the trailers? Frustratingly, I think I've actually got it on an album, but I've been wracking my brains trying to think what it is!

Wayne Guest

I'll be watching & recording it.
    Thanks for 'Transylvania Babylon' reminder, James. I'd forgotten about that. It will do nicely to fill up the disc.

I'm glad I spotted this as I'd forgotten - just in the nick of time!

Wayne Guest

I thought it was good! A decent addition to the 'Dracula' film/tv catalogue.
    I found Marc Warren a little bit too effeminate as the young Dracula, & he looked like he belonged in 'The Yardbirds', But otherwise, i enjoyed it.
    I thought the 'old' Dracula came across well, Though not quite as effective as Gary Oldman. Too different to compare to the 1977 BBC production of 'Dracula'. A bit like comparing 'Horror of Fang Rock' with 'The Empty Child', or something.
    Sophia Myles did very well, & of course she looked great!

Last edited by Wayne; 28th Dec 2006 at 10:47 PM.

I really enjoyed it. The pace was fairly quick, and Sophia Myles looked as gorgeous as usual. I wasn't sure about Marc Warren as Dracula to begin with, but by the end of the story I felt comfortable with him in the role.

What I do love, is those little differences you get from production to production that all add a little bit extra to the Dracula mythos.

I thought it was a bugger he never got to consummate the marriage but at least Dracula had a go!

Good atmosphere particularly at the count's castle...

good cast, fantastic direction, but they murdered the plot!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Dave Lewis Guest

I watched myself on E4 instead.

I apologise.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Williams View Post
    but they murdered the plot!

Ant x
    Not for the first time though. It's been murdered before.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Not for the first time though. It's been murdered before.
    as a fan of Bram Stoker's original epistolary novel, I was hoping for a faithful adaptation!

at the moment, the closest thing I can find is the Francis Ford Coppola film starring Keanu Reeves

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Williams View Post
    as a fan of Bram Stoker's original epistolary novel, I was hoping for a faithful adaptation!

at the moment, the closest thing I can find is the Francis Ford Coppola film starring Keanu Reeves

Ant x
    Shame about Keanu, but i do really like that film, as it goes.
    I've been threatening to re-read the novel for ages. I even acquired it again about a year ago, but i still haven't got round to it.

I decided to watch BBC2 and record Dracula/BBC Four. The reviews on other forums aren't too promising.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    I decided to watch BBC2 and record Dracula/BBC Four. The reviews on other forums aren't too promising.
    I taped the Swap Shop programme on good old fashioned videotape to watch later. Dracula was reserved for dvdr.
    Last edited by Wayne; 28th Dec 2006 at 11:39 PM.

I taped the Swap Swap programme on good old fashioned videotape to watch later. Dracula was reserved for dvdr.
    Dammit I missed SwapShop!

Or is that what you meant - I think I just misread...
    Last edited by Ralph; 28th Dec 2006 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Because I felt like it! OK!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Dammit I missed SwapShop!

Or is that what you meant - I think I just misread...
    Yeah, I mistyped. (edited now).

Dracula/Transylvania Babylon are on my hard drive and It Started With Swap Shop will be going there when I record the repeat on Hogmanay (BBC2 at 6:10pm, Ralph).

ta Milky one!

Good acting, good direction, shame about the plot.

WhiteCrow Guest

I totally missed this - was it any good?

I taped the Swap Shop programme on good old fashioned videotape to watch later.

me to and i'm watching it now great nostalgic stuff..

as for Dracula, excelent suff and very enjoyable..

as for Sophia Myles..absoloutly lovely..

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    me to and i'm watching it now great nostalgic stuff...
    So am i!

Did anyone watch Transylvania Babylon on BBC Four last night? Some excellent archive comedy, film and drama clips in there, including...

Count Dracula (1976), The World of Beachcomber (Spike Milligan, 1969), Scars of Dracula, The First Picture Show, The Young Ones, The Two Ronnies, The Living Corpse, The Kenny Everett Television Show, I Bought A Vampire Motorcycle (1982), It's A Square World (1963), The League of Gentlemen, The Russ Abbot Show, The Fast Show, Lenny Henry In Pieces, TOTP, The Basil Brush Show, Russell Harty and Wildlife On One from 1980. Would that be where 'State of Decay' got all its bat footage from?

It was just as good as their Baker Street Babylon show from last year.

Times review of Dracula:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....521489,00.html

Wayne Guest

It was ok.
    I enjoyed seeing the Phantom Raspberry Blower again.

I couldn't be bothered to watch this at all. I don't know why. Perhaps I'm just bored with countless remakes of Dracula, all of which feel they have to add some daft twist to the story to make it interesting. And Ant, there has NEVER been a faithful adaptation of Dracula ever. So don't bother looking for one.
    Mind you the book is only great for the first 2 thirds before it just becomes a silly chase story.