Default The Second Coming of Right Said Thread

Right Said Fred are making a comeback, as reported in yesterday's Sun.

They're starring in the new Daz ad as White Said Fred and performing 'I'm Too Sexy For My Whites'. A single release of the original will follow later in the year.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2006600175,00.html

Right Sud Fred star in telly ad

IT was only a matter of time before pop queens RIGHT SAID FRED started shaking their muscular tushes again.

I can reveal the Nineties duo, who had hits with Im Too Sexy and Deeply Dippy, are making a comeback thanks to soap sud makers Daz.

Bald brothers RICHARD and FRED FAIRBRASS have re-recorded Im Too Sexy for a ludicrous new telly ad.

They will re-release the original single later in the year.

In the soap opera-style advert featuring the residents of Cleaner Close, the camp duo will belt out Im Too Sexy For My Whites in a pop band cleverly titled White Said Fred.

As I revealed in the summer, Right Said Fred were more like Reich Said Fred when they briefly resurfaced to play at a concert in Germany where they have a huge following to mark the start of the 2006 World Cup.

Since then they completely disappeared off the radar again until now.

Richard, shown above in my exclusive pics from the telly ad, is delighted about stepping into the limelight again.

He told me: The advert was great fun to make.

Were really looking forward to the New Year and to being back in the British charts.

At least Right Said Freds new ad sounds more entertaining than a Daz doorstep challenge with happy housewives showing off their whites to SHANE RICHIE.

And Im sure theyll never have to pay for washing powder again.
    Whatever happened to Rob Manzoli?

I've still got most of their singles.

This lot keep trying to re-establish themselves every few years. It won't get them back in the charts. A very, very bad group.

Si.

I think you fogot to put the "l" in "bad". RSF were a top pop outfit!

Weren't they named after a song by Bernard Cribbins (where Bern goes on about 'Right, said Fred, let's 'ave a cup of tea now')?? I recall hearing it years ago.
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

Dave Lewis Guest

Yes they were, leading to the dreadful anecdote by Paul Weller's possibly a little confused dad, who upon being told that Right Said Fred had topped the charts stateside, replied:

"Bernard Cribbens is number one in America?"

Good to see the Sun are still lower than a sewer rat, with their "Reich Said Fred" 'joke'. I'm surprised they didn't make a 'White Said Fred'/BNP 'connection'.

I really liked "You're My Mate" - if that couldn't re-launch them, nothing will.

"Fred and me 'ad another cup of tea, and then we went 'ome..."

Si.

Dave Lewis Guest

"Had bad twinges, taking off the hinges..."

"We was getting nowhere...."

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

"We'll just have to leave it standing on the landing..."

Get yer furniture out of the way and I can start stripping!

I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

Ian Levine mixed the new version 'I'm Too Sexy', according to his MySpace page!

http://www.myspace.com/ian_levine

I saw the end of the video the other night.

Isn't Richard Fairbrass standing for London Mayor or something?!

Edited to add:

Almost!

Now that I'd like to see.

They're playing gay clubs aplenty, including Birmingham Pride. It smells bad.

I've not seen their advert.

But I didn't even hear the dinner gong!?

Richard Fairbrass was attacked in Moscow the other day:

http://www.itv.com/news/world_7f9535...12bb1bee3.html

Quote Originally Posted by ITV News
    Gay rights activists attacked
    6.49, Sun May 27 2007

Right Said Fred frontman Richard Fairbrass and gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell have been involved in violent scuffles in Moscow as they attempted to challenge a decision to ban a gay march in the city.

Fairbrass and Tatchell were among a group repeatedly punched, kicked and pelted with eggs as they were set upon by gay rights opponents who shouted "Moscow is not Sodom".

The pair were among 100 protesters who were attempting to deliver a petition signed by legal and political figures across Europe to the office of Moscow's mayor, appealing against a ban on a gay rights march in the city.

Police swiftly grabbed about a dozen gay demonstrators and forced them into a bus, including Fairbrass, Tatchell and Russian gay rights movement leader Nikolai Alexeyev.

They then hustled away others, including German parliament member Volker Beck.

Sky News coverage:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...267687,00.html

they were set upon by gay rights opponents who shouted "Moscow is not Sodom".
    People can get so touchy when you get anagrams wrong.

We overheard two women in Woolworths discussing Right Said Fred the other weekend. One had spotted the new cheapo cheapo compilation and hooted with derision. The other then told her friend she would "shoot her through the head" if she considered buying it. Still popular with the mainstream!

Mind you, I dread to think of what people think when they overhear some of our conversations in there ("Beverly Knight, look what the B-side is! What a shameless old bag!" etc) not to mention those occasions when I feel compelled to spread the copies of Kirsty MacColl's Rarities Box Set so it fills up all the top positions in the shop chart.

Si.

I once saw them play in Brannigans in Croydon. They weren't bad but I felt a little sorry for them. They had loads of new material that they really wanted to play but had to resign themselves to playing Deeply Dippy and I'm Too Sexy over and over.

I think sometimes artists to underestimate reaction to new material - Jason kept apologising for playing his on Friday, and it was actually rather good. The Beautiful South even once said at a show "look, sorry, but we've got a record to promote so we're going to have do some new songs okay?".

On the flipside, I felt so sorry for Zac Hanson when we went to see them and he did his new song on the piano and everyone talked all the way through it.

Si.