Thread: Ben Elton

Default Ben Elton

Is anyone else here a fan of Ben Elton's books?

Having read both This Other Eden and High Society, I find his style very easy to get to grips with, and his writing very entertaining!

The sci-fi stylings of This Other Eden are absolutely brilliant, and his social commentry in High Society is wonderfully satirical.

I've just started Chart Throb, and am enjoying it so far!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Yes. Although I have only read Dead Famous so far and loved it. I have also just started Chart Throb and am enjoying it so far.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I read Stark a few years back. I quite liked it at the time but can't really remember much about it now.

I watched him recently on Parkinson when he talked about Chart Throb, it certainly sounded interesting.
    Last edited by Paul Clement; 30th Dec 2006 at 6:51 PM.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    I read Stark a few years back. I quite liked it at the time but can't really remember much about it now.
    For some reason I seem to remember it had a well manacured man in it???

Well, John Neville, who was the Well-Manicured Man in 'The X-Files' was in the 1993 television adaptation, so yes, you're right!

'Stark' is the only novel of his I've read, and although people tell me his books are great, and that I should really put aside any feelings I have about Ben Elton the person, I'm put off reading any others by the fact that I find him unbearable these days.

Hey Ant,

What did you think of Chart Throb?
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

hmmmm it was ok. I admit to struggling a little bit in the middle.

To be honest, I thought it was alright, but nowhere as good as This Other Eden, or High Society. Quite frankly, it just wasn't as funny.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Funny it wasnt but it took a big twist at the end and it was one that I wasnt expecting!