Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Hence why no companion or Doctor will stay more than three years in this day and age. I wonder how much more they would have had to pay Billie for a third season, compared with the first?

Si.

well I suspect that RTD, will all ready have some one in mind whom he wants to eventualy take over from Tennent - but once Tennent'd departure becomes official we will get the usual names banded around like Alan Davies and Bill Niey(sorry about spelling)..

Like others, I want to see David Tennant stay for a while yet. But when his eventual replacement comes along, I'd like to see david Morrissey given the part.

However, hasn't Russell T Davies gone on record saying he'd like to see Michael Sheen (The Deal, The Queen, Kenneth Williams: Fantabulosa) play The Doctor?

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    hasn't Russell T Davies gone on record saying he'd like to see Michael Sheen (The Deal, The Queen, Kenneth Williams: Fantabulosa) play The Doctor?
    Might've been on CD, dunno bout on vinyl...

(very poor, sorry )

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Let's not forget cost either - I still think they'd cast someone who didn't command million pound fees every episode, as the show is obviously still watching its budget.
    That's me out of the running then...

Nigel Havers anyone...?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    Might've been on CD, dunno bout on vinyl...

(very poor, sorry )
    GET OUT!!!

WhiteCrow Guest

Time to round up the usual suspects ...

Nigel Havers anyone...?
    I've said that for years, but I'm not so sure now. I think he would have been good in an old series kind of way, but I don't think he would fit the bill the way the new series has been.

Wayne Guest

I saw Bill Nighy(sp?) on 'Grumpy Old Men' tonight.
    Always wondered who he was. He looks the part anyway!

Dave Lewis Guest

I'm going to be vaguely controversial for a minute and say that I think Jack Davenport - almost talented, great in This Life and The Talented Mr Ripley and Coupling, and I understand, quite attractive - and Robert Carlyle - supremely talented in almost everything he's ever done, and I understand, quite attractive - would be dreadful as Doctor Who. Maybe they'd prove me wrong... Robert Carlyle might... but Jack Davenport would be absolutely awful. He's got the gravitas of a clown on ketamine.

Having said that, I'd never even heard of David Tennant until he became Doctor Who, so maybe it's a case of familiarity making the heart grow colder, or something. But I'm pretty sure that even if I'd never heard of Steve from Coupling, JD would be entirely rubbish.

Carlyle, I'm open to... just about. But I still think Denzel Washington would be better. I like the suggestion of the bloke from that Kenneth Williams thing. But even better, somebody that you, I, me, us, and everybody, have never heard of, and have no preconceptions about whatsoever. I'm voting for him/her/it/them every time.

But even better, somebody that you, I, me, us, and everybody, have never heard of, and have no preconceptions about whatsoever. I'm voting for him/her/it/them every time
    That's what I'd really love to see too, Dave - Tom Baker had made a film or two before he got the part, but he was to all intents & purposes an unknown, and an inspired choice.

I know the argument against it will be that it needs a high-profile name, and it was probably true in 2005, but now I think the show wouldn't suffer at all (as long as it was a good choice of actor) and in fact you could generate a lot of media hype, I'd've thought, around it being a complete unknown. In fact I would have said David Tennant wasn't that well known, other than as 'that bloked from Casanova'.

But, yeah, a complete unknown would be lovely. I also agree about Jack Davenport - he's very good in Coupling, in Ultraviolet, and probably This Life (what I saw of it) but he just lacks that edge, he's just too laid back and 'ploddy' for my tastes.

And finally... I don't think I've ever seen Denzel Washington in anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post

Nigel Havers anyone...?
    not for me I've never been a fan of Havers and i'm not sure he'd really be suited to this kind of part..

I know the argument against it will be that it needs a high-profile name, and it was probably true in 2005, but now I think the show wouldn't suffer at all (as long as it was a good choice of actor)
    Oh, any old *@!$?& with an Equity card will do.
    Last edited by Dave Tudor; 31st Dec 2006 at 12:05 PM.

I dearly hope David Jason wouldn't do it. He'd only do a series every 5 years, dissallow outakes and commentary tracks, and then go and die after 3 episodes.

Si.

Although he's very good in lots of shows, I can't see David Jason as the Doctor - he could have played it in a seventh Doctor-y sort of way maybe ten years ago, but now, no thanks.

Steven Fry's name has cropped up a few times in the past but what about Hugh Laurie, he's won several awards for the excelent U.S Drama House, and is a much better actor then some might give him creddit for.

If the guy who played Kenneth Williams took the role, they could do a re-make of The Brain Of Morbius.

I can just see him now - "Ooooh, Maaaron....!"

Seriously, although I'm not DT's greatest fan, I'd like to see him stay as The Doctor for a while. However, when he does leave, I'd much rather see an older actor in the role, just for some contrast. I'm not sure how that would fit into the Doctor/Companion relationship which the new series has been exhibiting, though.........

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    However, when he does leave, I'd much rather see an older actor in the role, just for some contrast. I'm not sure how that would fit into the Doctor/Companion relationship which the new series has been exhibiting, though.........
    This is partly why I thought of Nigel Havers, apart from his being a good actor; Peter Davison was contrast in his day, being a younger actor. As for the companion's reaction, they might prefer older men...

Has anyone suggested Paul McGann yet?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Jack Davenport looked quite bohemian in that "This life" special last night. I liked the long hair.
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

well this is from the news pages-

Jason Statham has reportedly been offered the title role in the next series of Doctor Who.

The Crank star is allegedly being lined up as the 11th Doctor in the hit BBC show amid rumours current Time Lord David Tennant is quitting the role.

A TV source tells The People, "It will be Doctor Who meets gangland. He will do a lot more thinking with his fists and will be a sure-fire winner with the ladies.

"Doctor Who is still seen as a bit geeky but Jason will add sex appeal and give the character a more dangerous edge."

just another rumour of course but Statham, is certainly not a name that would be on many fans lists I've only really seen him in Snatch in which he was pretty good. So to be honest I really don't know if he would be suited to the part or not.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    A TV source tells The People, "It will be Doctor Who meets gangland. He will do a lot more thinking with his fists and will be a sure-fire winner with the ladies.
    And a sure-fire way of killing the series dead.

And it wouldn't really be Doctor Who either would it?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Trudi G Guest

I think it'd be a disaster...

Where did that come from? Thats complete rubbish I reckon. Statham's a terrible actor too. Jason Flemyng maybe.