Default Advice about funny gas smell

Now, I know that the only sensible advice here is "get someone in to have a look", which is probably what's going to happen. But I just thought I'd canvas in here in case anyone has any particular experience or knowledge in this area because Google isn't being a whole lot of help other than with general safety advice.

Over the past few weeks there has occasionally been a gas smell around the house. Not a "raw" gas smell like you would get if someone had not lit the oven, but a sort of "fumey" smell which is different. It's inttermittent, and not that strong, but I'm confident we've tracked it down to the gas fire (which is now off).

Obviously the first worry is carbon monoxide, but none of the typical symptoms are in evidence. The fire is still burning with a nice blue flame, there's no staining or sooty deposits around the fire, and of course we can actually smell it, when carbon monoxide has no smell.

So my best guess is that maybe the chimney is somewhat blocked, and some of hte combustion products are leaking into the room instead of up the chimney. These would be regular smelly combustion products of a non-carbon monoxide variety.

So my question is basically... is it feasible to have a blocked chimney that causes the burnt gas to leak into the room, but to still provide enough ventilation to allow the appliance to still (apparentl) burn properly and efficiently without creating carbon monoxide? Or would a blocked chimney DEFINITELY cause poor combustion/yellow flames/carbon monoxide?

If it's the former then buying a carbon monoxide detector isn't going to do any good, because there won't be any. But that doesn't mean the regular combustion products are going to be particularly healthy to breathe in for extended periods. Is there some other sort of detector that can detect those? Whatever they may be. Or do I just have overly sensitive nostrils.

I really am not qualified to answer this, but my instinct would be to ring your Gas supplier for advice immediately, just in case it's something bad.

Si.

Well for the moment the fire is off and this clears the smell. I'm pretty sure it's not a leak as such and I'm sure it's safe while it's not lit. Will probably sort something out tomorrow though.

Pip Madeley Guest

Could it be a dead mouse/mice? The smell they give off in death is similar to a gassy smell...

Hmm interesting. The fire is going to have to come off the wall to check the chimney anyway I'm sure, so if there's anything dead lodged behind there I'm sure it will come to light

Perhaps you should keep a window or two open at night? Getting a carbon monoxide detector is a good idea in any case if you have a gas heating appliance, because as you say, you can't smell it.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Eat fewer baked beans.

Sorry. Someone had to say it.