Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

It'd be very expensive, Si. Can't see how it could come out of the license fee, so where would they find the money?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I'm not suprised. It'd come out sh*tty on Fox anyway. Torchwood should really be on cable like Showtime. I can't see it being successful on a major network. Plus, Fox already has Fringe, which is a lot like Torchwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    so where would they find the money?
    Well, they still found it in America......

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...,1333397.shtml

LOS ANGELES, June 7 /PRNewswire/ -- Starz Entertainment has acquired U.S. television rights to the next installment of the BBC's audience sensation "Torchwood," developed and produced by BBC Worldwide Productions. Starz will debut the 10-episode series exclusively in the U.S., and BBC One will debut it in the U.K., both in summer, 2011. This is a co-production between Starz, BBC Cymru Wales and BBC Worldwide, and BBC Worldwide will distribute the show outside the U.S. The deal was jointly announced today by Starz, LLC President and CEO Chris Albrecht and BBC Worldwide Productions EVP Jane Tranter.

The stars of the previous versions of "Torchwood," notably John Barrowman (Capt. Jack Harkness) and Eve Myles (Gwen Cooper), will return for the new version. Additional key cast, reflecting the more international scope of the series, will be announced soon.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I won't be flashing unless The Wizard returns!

Goodness, that's a surprise! I was just thinking about Torchwood yesterday, while out walking the dogs, and I'm kinda concluded that the moment had passed and that we wouldn't get any more. Tt, blooming dogs, what do they know!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/torchwood_new_series/

Well well well. So Wales wasn't big enough after all!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I have to say I'm a little surprised that now he's left Who, RTD seems to be mainly doing SJS and Torchwood. I hope he's not stuck in a rut.

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    I won't be flashing unless The Wizard returns!
    He's being kept ready to take over from The Moff.

Blimey! Who'd have thought it, eh?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It could be Reasonably Amazing.

Si.

I am eagerly anticipating this.

Hmmm - so the BBC has gone into partnership with several other countries to produce this show.

I'm thinking of the history of such co-produced shows - The Tripods, Doctor Who: the movie, Eldorado.

So this'll probably be the last season of Torchwood then. I'm guessing each partnered country is gonna want their own representative on the team. Will the Americans buy Captain Jack, or will they demand someone straighter?

Heck what would Torchwood be like if it was funded by the church of Scientology? Now that would be interesting! I would pay money to see Tom Cruise get eaten by the rift ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

But what about Rhys?
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Ha! There's more chance of Omega being in it than poor old Rhys. Don't expect any more guest stints by the likes of Nerys Hughes either.

Torchwood as always been international in spirit so this could be exactly what it needs. If it turns out to be the last series well, blimey, no-one can say it hasn't had a good innings. I'm amazed we're getting a Series 4 really.

RTD can't seem to break away from Doctor Who and its franchises though can he? The amazing new career in America has yeilded.... a return to Torchwood.

Si.

If there's no Rhys, then I won't enjoy it quite as much.

I shall sit through at least three episodes with my arms firmly folded and my frowny face on.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Well see how it goes of course, but I'm wondering if this co-production could extend to Doctor Who when the cuts come next year? I'd rather have a co-produced Doctor Who than none at all. So all eyes on Torchwood then to see how it would work?...

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cloud (Slight Return) View Post
    I'm wondering if this co-production could extend to Doctor Who when the cuts come next year?
    Could? It already has, hasn't it? The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation received an onscreen co-production credit for NuWho, so I can't see why it would be a problem.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    Hmmm - so the BBC has gone into partnership with several other countries to produce this show.

I'm thinking of the history of such co-produced shows - The Tripods, Doctor Who: the movie, Eldorado.
    Most costume dramas are co-productions with the likes of ABC in Australia, the American PBS stations and so on, as are the expensive David Attenborough-style documentary series. It's ideal for the BBC- they get more episodes without having to pay the full cost of making them- and the actors will get American exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by shada pavlova View Post
    If there's no Rhys, then I won't enjoy it quite as much.

I shall sit through at least three episodes with my arms firmly folded and my frowny face on.
    Classic Doctor Who fandom. It's like the Day of Action never happened.

Without reading the article, does it predict it will be marvellous?

Si.

There definitely won't be any sight of Cardiff by the sound of it.

So this'll probably be the last season of Torchwood then. I'm guessing each partnered country is gonna want their own representative on the team. Will the Americans buy Captain Jack, or will they demand someone straighter?

Heck what would Torchwood be like if it was funded by the church of Scientology? Now that would be interesting! I would pay money to see Tom Cruise get eaten by the rift ...

I knew some think was happening regarding series 4 a week or so ago as there was a thread over on DWO, saying that series 4 of Torchwood, was going to be an American production. Needles to say the reaction was pretty under whelming and after the complete mess they made of the tv movie I have big reservations in allowing any American tv network a major say in the production of Torchwood.

I'm quietly convinced it'll do quite well, or at least well enough. Starz used to be just a pay per view movie channel and has only recently started making it's own product, and right now they seem to be caring more about getting critically acclaimed stuff made rather than worrying about ratings (unless they're truly terrible). So unless it's a disaster, they could very well be happy to fund it for another season after this one. Plus they're comfortable showing full frontal nudity and having very offensive swearing in there shows, which makes me happy!

Plus John Barrowman's just turned up in Desperate Housewives, so may bring some of the fans from that show over to Torchwood.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I think regardless of who is making it and whether or not it will be a flop or a success you have to say that when you think how Torchwood, started hidden away on late Sunday night BBC 3 it has done very well to of got a 4th series.