Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default Torchwood 4: Miracle Day - US 8 July - UK 14 July

Good news?

The third series of Torchwood hasn't even aired yet but the next one is prepared. And there's some news about the upcoming episodes...

Last night saw a preview screening of the the first installment of Torchwood: Children of Earth at the National Film Theatre. The episode, titled Day One, was followed by a 'Q & A' with the show's creator, Russell T Davies.

During the session, Davies revealed that the fourth series is "ready to go" but is entirely dependent on how the third series performs. The showrunner also revealed that he would be willing to do the show for the next ten years and wanted more crossovers with its 'parent' show, Doctor Who. RTD also added that The Doctor is mentioned in the last episode of Torchwood: Children of Earth.

So far, early reviews - mainly posted on the social networking site, Twitter - are very positive with words like "awesome" and "brilliant" being bandied about whilst others have suggested that the opening episode is the best hour of Torchwood so far.

No definite date has been set for the UK transmission but Torchwood: Children of Earth will start broadcasting in North America on July 20th. The DVD/Blu-Ray release is set for July 27th.

The showrunner also revealed that he would be willing to do the show for the next ten years and wanted more crossovers with its 'parent' show, Doctor Who
    Interesting. I'd've thought that sort of thing would be more down to Moffat 'n' co now, wouldn't you?

the fourth series is "ready to go" but is entirely dependent on how the third series performs
    no preasure there then - with series 3 going out every day for a week I think it's going to be a tough ask for it to be successfull enough for series 4 to get the go ahead.

Pip Madeley Guest

Oh no...

Andrew Cartmel, the script editor for Doctor Who during the Sylvester McCoy years, is writing a script for the fourth season of Torchwood, according to a CV posted on his agent’s website.

It claims he's working on a script called "The Jinx".
    http://www.janetfillingham.com/write...tmelcv_002.pdf

Rhys: Oh, Gwen, I am much more than just a lorry driver...

Pip Madeley Guest

Least Harry might get to see Gwen in a rubber catsuit now.

I'm sure we'd all like to see that!

Pip Madeley Guest

As Noel Gallagher once sang, it's all part of the (Cartmel) masterplan.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I'm sure we'd all like to see that!
    I already moist.

Oh dear!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I already moist.
    I don't think I'd like to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Least Harry might get to see Gwen in a rubber catsuit now.
    I'm counting the days...
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by shada pavlova View Post
    I'm counting the days...
    And the tissues, no doubt...

Quiet you.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Pip Madeley Guest

From Comic-Con:

RTD asked if he will continue with Torchwood. "I hope so. We were astonished by the success of that last series. I really, really hope so. I can't give you a promise because I haven't had the meetings with the right people yet. Also there's a recession going on. It will be back, but maybe the ones you want back won't be back. It will be back in some shape or form."

Also there's a recession going on.
    Telling...

Si.

Is that polite speak for, we don't think we'll be able to afford John Barrowman?

I think it's been becoming clear for a while now that the BBC is going to cut back on it's drama output, from various stories & comments in the press.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

So what is basically being said by RTD and co is "we would like Torchwood to come back, but we don't know if the BBC is going to commission it".

For something that was doing so well in the ratings, it's a shame! Perhaps it could be a co-production with someone like HBO in the same way that Rome and The Tudors was, particularly since we keep being told that Torchwood is so popular with the American market...

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Does money from the DVD not go back into production? Something's wrong somewhere where you have a product that is hugely popular and marketable on two different formats, and yet the BBC can't afford to make more.

Si.

Well they do have to give some of the money they make from the licence fee to ITV now, so I guess cuts will have to be made somewhere. Personally I'd rather they cut back on Eastenders than Torchwood, but I suppose Torchwood is pretty expensive to make in comparison, no matter how good the ratings are. We'll just have to wait and see now, as usual...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Captain Tancredi Guest

To be honest, I think you can use the recession to justify more or less anything- what it means most obviously is that the BBC can't be seen to be paying its talent astronomical sums of money, which probably means that the likes of John Barrowman may turn out to be too expensive. The BBC's revenue stream is still fairly secure and the slow and painful death of ITV's drama output should mean that there are writers, directors, crews and production facilities out there which would otherwise be unused.

The situation at the end of the final episode, with Jack disappearing and a heavily pregnant Gwen, presumably means that any return for Torchwood could showcase a new (cheaper) team of regulars with Jack and Gwen popping in for the odd cameo.

I can't believe any seriously thinks Barrowman would be ruled out over high wage demands, the man would appear on anything. And does. Any budget problems would be similar to SJA, where RTD & his team wouldn't want to make a sub-standard show, imo.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Say he was all booked up working on other projects at the time they wanted it to be in production, though?

I still reckon they'd find a workaround. I really can't see Barrowman turning down another Radio Times cover! Plus it's the only 'acting' work he ever gets offered....