Thread: I, Davros

Default I, Davros

Anybody buying the "Davros" plays? I was told by a certain two people (not on here, as far as I am aware, but when plied with their wonderful company and drink what could I do?) that I should get them. So I bought the first one, and although I didn't hear it properly (fallen asleep, you see? Very late night!), it still struck me enough to want to buy the second one. Which I did today...

And just listened to the first one. Tis very very good. First BF audio I've listened to in a long long while, and further, enjoyed. About blasted time!
    I am out there... somewhere.

I've heard them all to date, only I can't remember if I've done three or two of them! The first one is indeed very good, though I still haven't looked up who Richard Franklin was. The later ones tread water a bit, and miss the lovely Rory Jennings, but are still good. Plus I'm looking forward to the next one to hear how he has his "accident". Play.com were doing a two for 15 deal on them last time I looked.

Si.

Yes, Rory Jennings as young Davros was very good indeed. Really made me believe in the character... Also loved the oblique reference to Davros loving the old "Dal stories". Presumably historicals from a time when the Kaleds were called Dals? If so, a nice subtle reference to the original Dalek story.

Default I Davros

I've listened to the first two & I've loved them both (the third should be on it's way to me as I type). They are probably the best spin off that Big Finish have done to my ear & I highly recommend them to anyone.

Warning - shameless name drop alert.......

My mate, Peter Miles (clang) says that "I Davros" is one of the best scrips he has ever worked with. He gets very excited even talking about this BF production!!!

I don't often by BF audios but I just might get this one.

I'm assuming that Miles returns as Nyder in either part three or four, then?

Opps, sorry I really didn't mean that to be a spoiler for anyone, but I had previously mentioned it on the 'Peter Miles' thread on the old forum. I've not listened to any of these audios yet (I assumed he'd been in them from the start).
    So, if I've spoit any surpises there, then I am sorry.

Will I face the wrath of the Mods and Admins now?

No worries here, dude, after all this series moves through Davros' life, so having Nyder appear makes much sense.

I'm currently listening to the fourth and final part, "Guilt" - Peter Miles sounds exactly the same as he did in 1974!

Overall it's been a fun series, devastatingly well made (listening to the sequences in the Kaled city today, it's exactly like the BBC soundtrack of "Genesis" - you can't tell the difference!) albeit with fewer surprises than expected - Davros transformation into a mutant has always been quite an exciting and mysterious event to me, so it's less thrilling to find how it happened here - a simple explosion, and he's his "old" self. The best creation has been Lady Caligula, Davros Mother although Molloy has been the star of the show, recreating Davros beautifully.

Overall, this has been a very enjoyable series. I didn't pay loads either, so I'm very glad I bought it.

Si.

Wayne Guest

Default I Davros

*indulges in a touch of pedantry :-

It's: I Davros.

Anyway, i finally listened to the first 2 parts of this whilst on my travels yesterday, & it was really good! It held my attention no problem. Very enjoyable. I shall be doing the other 2 very soon.
    Why are the spin-offs often so much better than the main range?
    Well, i think so, anyway!
    Last edited by Wayne; 20th Feb 2007 at 6:40 PM. Reason: Waits for a bigger pedant to tell me i didn't put the comma in. ;-p

Wayne Guest

I've just finished listening to the last 2. Great stuff! Part 4 was particularly good, & i must say Peter Miles was excellent!
    How nice to get that feeling back, of actually wanting to listen to a BF, rather than just: "Oh i'm travelling so i might as well take the latest audio with me'.

I said they were good. I actually prfer the 'I, Davros' to the 'Dalek Empire' audios.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    I said they were good. I actually prfer the 'I, Davros' to the 'Dalek Empire' audios.
    Not sure i'd go that far, But it's the first BF stuff i've bought since 'Cyberman' that's not gonna end up on eBay!

We also listened to Part 1 of this series yesterday. It was great. Very atmsopheric with some very good performances from it's stars. It took a while for me to get used to Rory Jennings as the young Davros, but by the end he'd won me over with his very creepy, not quite right performance.

The music was very Genesis of the Daleks too, which made me smile.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Wayne Guest

Hope you like this one, Si.
    It was very much my cup of tea, as evidenced by the fact that i opted to keep it instead of selling it on eBay.

I have to admit that 'I, Davros' was a nice change of pace from BF and seemed to be a much more thought-provoking piece of drama than their usual output, much more on a par with Dalek Empire and Cyberman!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Part 2 will be leaping onto our CD player sometime this November.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wow!!!!!

This is about as good as it gets. Some outstanding performances from a wonderful cast.

Terry Molloy is just exceptional. His portrayal of Davros is superb. I love hearing his voice. Every word he utters is a treat to the ears.

I won't break the habit of a lifetime by giving a deep and a detailed review. I will say though, if you were ever going to buy a "spin-off", this is one to get. I have actually re-watched "Genesis of the Daleks" as a result of listening to this.

Do yousrelf a favour and go and buy this. It's a treat indeed!!!!!!!!

Dave xx

PS The extras were great too!!!

PPS Thanks Wayne
    Last edited by davethesailor; 16th Oct 2007 at 10:56 PM.

Wayne Guest

Glad you liked it, Dave!
    I think it's one of the best things BF have produced for ages!

terrycooper Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Frankham View Post
    Yes, Rory Jennings as young Davros was very good indeed. Really made me believe in the character... Also loved the oblique reference to Davros loving the old "Dal stories". Presumably historicals from a time when the Kaleds were called Dals? If so, a nice subtle reference to the original Dalek story.
    The original backstory as invented by Terry Nation desctibed the races of Skarop as Dals and Thals. Davros wasn't invented until Genesis of The Daleks. before that, there were two Dals called Zolfian and Yarvelling - the last two surviving humanoids intent on seeing their species survive no matter what the terrible cost.

Sorry if you knew this, i just chipped in there.