Thread: Jon Pertwee

Default Jon Pertwee

You know what, today would have been Jon's 90th Birthday. I think that's an occasion worth celebrating isn't it?

Let's celebrate Jon Pertwee!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

I watched his final performance as the Doc in 'Devious' on The War Games earlier, and considering he was 75/76 at the time he still had the magic. God bless you Jon!

There something magical about it, wasn't there? I loved the way theat the first thing he did was rub his chin!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

Going off topic a little, I was surprised to see Hugh Lloyd and Peter Tuddenham there too... and thinking about it, Tom Baker is now the same age as Pertwee was when he filmed that... so Tom will soon have reached an age no other Who actor has before...

Must admit, I did find it amusing when they cut to the obvious 'stunt double' when the Doctor falls outside the TARDIS

I liked how Pertwee walks like he's shit himself as he leaves the TARDIS

Captain Tancredi Guest

Time for a listen to 'An Evening with the Doctor', I think.

Thank you Jon for your work in Doctor Who and your voice over for "The Little Green Man".
    And your appearance on Wogan on a Children in Need/Comic Relief night where you said when you told someone you were going to be an actor and they wished you good luck so you kissed them and said thank you.
    I mention this because I went onto a nightclub that night and some girl upon finding out I was in a band wished my good luck so I kissed her and almost got killed by her irate boyfriend over it!

Have any other readers had a nightclub drama inspired by a Doctor Who actor etc...?

Good old Jon Pertwee.

He crossed the void beyond the mind, and we adored him for it.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

He was just brilliant though, wasn't he. The third Doctor may not be everybody's cup of tea, but give him his due - Jon Pertwee took the part on so fully, and arguably reinvented the role into the more 'hands-on' man of action that they have all been since then. He could so easily have played for laughs, yet instead he plays it deadly serious, and although I'm sure he was actually a bit nervous about it, he appears to be full of confidence right from the off, playing the serious science stuff and drama just as perfectly as the nonsense about eyebrows and the planet Delphon.

Hurrah for Jon!

I've just finished watching a couple of Pertwee stories.

I've always, always liked his Doctor, and Si Hart's twiggy-finger experience notwithstanding, Jon himself always seemed to be a nice man himself.

So happy 90th Birthday, old chap!

Is it time to trot out my "when I met Pertwee" story? The end of a long day of autograph signing in '96, and my Dad and I looked like missing out. But with a nod from the steward, we were beckoned through before Pertwee and Courtney finished for the day. All I could think of saying as the great man scribbed his five hundredth autograph of the day was, "I bet your hand aches!"
    He glanced up and, without missing a beat, grumbled... "Not as much as my arse!"

God bless you Jon.

Si.

Let's remember him the way he wanted to be remembered ... for Wurzel Gummage ...

I haven't watched a Pertwee story for absolutely ages - It's now 5 years when I last watched them all in my catch up after my long absence from Whodom

I reckon I'll need to have a special Pertwee Season in the Autumn/Winter as in the great tradtions of BBC2 of past

I guess if I kick off with the War Games I get get myself in the mood for the radical improvements that were to follow. Resurrecting my viewing of ST-TOS is appropriate too as it kicked off in advance of the Pert making his screen debut in those heady days of the early 70s. Ah the joy to have lived through it...

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    You know what, today would have been Jon's 90th Birthday. I think that's an occasion worth celebrating isn't it?

Let's celebrate Jon Pertwee!

Si xx

didn't realise it was his birthday but I was thinking the other day that he'd now be 90 years old.

You were wrong then.

Si.

Remembering you on your birthday Jon, God Bless
    'Steed is one of my most valuable subjects he's too valuable to lose'

Happy Birthday, Jon - we miss you!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Wayne Guest

I love Jon of course, but in all honesty i found that thing on 'The War Games' dvd a bit embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I guess if I kick off with the War Games I get myself in the mood for the radical improvements that were to follow.

You just can't stop yourself can you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I love Jon of course,
    Gosh, I love you too Wayne
    Bazinga !

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I love Jon of course, but in all honesty i found that thing on 'The War Games' dvd a bit embarrassing.

You just can't stop yourself can you.
    Just to avoid any confusion it's not Jon's appearance in the War Games DVD I'm talking about - I wasn't keen on that either. I'd prefer he hadn't bothered.