Thread: The Avengers

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

It's well worth the perseverance Ralph!

Season 4 has always been my favourite. S5 just isn't quite as good overall imo but the advent of colour makes up for it. S6 is much patchier, though. While there are some great stories in there, it's possibly the weakest season of the series.

S3 has great stuff as well, Ralph. Perhaps it's an idea just to check out the best episodes of the bunch?

Hi Kenny - I'll check out the best ones of S3 as you say first

I would agree with your assessment of S4,5,6.

Hi, tell me if I'm being a cheapskate but isn't it time BBC Four (or even Channel 4) repeated The Avengers? If the BBC are planning repeats of shows to balance out "austerity checks", then they'd get no complaints from me if they repeated this.
    BBC/Channel 4: Oh er... the show has dated! Er... we're doing new things now!

Yeah, and they won't be half as good as Avengers!
    If there's any justice then not only should Channel 4 repeat the show, they should repeat it on E4 to really rub it in! ("Tool Academy" or Avengers repeats?)

I don't think you're being a cheapskate at all - it's expensive keeping up with The Avengers!

Generally I've found Cathy's second series to be a lot stronger in terms of storytelling. There's not been any episodes that have really tried my patience - in fact, many of them have been brilliant.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I think it's worth making the fefort to see. I was very wary of them- thoight they'd be dull and slow 9and yes some of them are) but for the most part the stories are good, there's some good action and all those actors that you see in everythign else of the era propping it all up and giving it credibility. And Honor is fabulous and you soon understand why the show took off like it did.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Another great one tonight- The Undertakers. Nice witty script from Malcolm Hulke and some iconic Avengers imagery with sinister undertakers, Steed putting a carnation in his buttonhole and champagne. Some good fights- interesting to see that they're giving Macnee and Blackman a fight each per episode at the moment.

Just in case it gets a bit lost elsewhere last night's Advent video treat from Fantom Films will be off interest:

Honor Blackman Stage Panel at ReAvenging -October 2010 Part One

and I was there Richard - Honor was great!
    Talking of Avengers, had a great time with Simon, Steve & Brendan at The Barbican on Wednesday. The b/w Peel season just looks fab on the big screen! Director Gerry O'Hara and designer David Marshall told us stories about working on the programme - and my great uncle Howard Thomas even got a mention :-)

Just watched "Pandora" - a great episode and rumoured to be both Linda Thorson's & Brian Clemen's favourite! Some great supporting cast members including John ("we're all doomed") Laurie and old one-eye green features himself, Julian Glover These unfortunate Avengers girls get cholorformed more times than Steed doffs his bowler. Poor Tara was chloroformed TWICE in this episode. And she never got a decent fight scene either!

This episode was very atmospheric, with a good twist at the end as Pandora's treasures are revealed. Loved the fact that Mother's office was now a hot air balloon (we didn't see this, it was only alluded to!)

The Avengers isn't a programme that usually references its own continuity, but it was nice to see the files of Emma Peel and Cathy Gale getting a dusting down from the ministry filing cabinet.

So all in all a fine little episode - not your usual Avengers fare, but well worth watching nonetheless, with Linda Thorson acting her little socks off! Go Linda!

The wonderful Patrick Macnee is 90 years old today. Happy Birthday to the suavest spy of them all!

Happy 90th to my most favourite suave & debonair secret agent! If I had a curly-brimmed bowler I would raise it right now to the über cool John Steed.

Many happy returns Mr Macnee!

Happy 90th Birthday to Patrick! Hope it's a sunny day in California...
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Default Honey For The Prince

A glorious end to the B&W era. Things start off in high spirits with Steed & Mrs Peel coming back from a party (Emma even cheekily pats Steed on the posterior as they're walking!). We have the eccentric B.Bumble resplendent in a striped jumper, Ron Moody in delightfully kooky mode, Steed complaining about all the bodies in his flat, a cricket-mad Arabian prince, Emma doing the dance of the six (not seven!) veils......just perfect!

The American TV execs insisted that Diana Rigg wear a jewel in her naval during the dance because belly-buttons were a no-no on TV at the time. But they didn't object to a sweaty top-naked man rubbing a girl's foot over his hairy chest......

Could someone please suggest some good episodes of The Avengers for us to watch this weekend?

Thanks!

Si.

Castle D'Eath, Who's Who???, Dead Man's Treasure.

Thanks Steve! Feel free to add any others, anyone else. We want to know the best episodes as we're cherry picking.

Si "We're Needed" Hunt.

If you want something earlier, try The Grandeur That Was Rome, Dressed to Kill and The Undertakers.

And Look (stop me if you've heard this one) There were these two fellows..

We could do "The Forget Me Not" too!

Si.

Anti-clockwise Si!

Death At Bargain Prices, Dial A Deadly Number, Mission.. Highly Improbable & They Keep Killing Steed. Happy Avenging Si!

Death at Bargain Prices is a good recommendation. Even had Daleks in it!

I feel like I've done Cathy Gale a disservice, so I'll recommend "Brief For Murder".

Was watching "Love All" with a friend yesterday. No I didn't force her in to it - she likes The Avengers, particularly Tara's flat!

Anyway, after the bit where Steed hoists Tara back in from the window ledge, my friend says "ooh bet that was a strain on Patrick's back". I went on the website, and sure enough - he had cracked several ribs during the process!!

Love All is a great story - Civil Servants falling in love at the drop of a (bowler) hat and giving away secrets. Plus the way Steed descends to Mother's lair is priceless. Owzat!!

Great to hear the full theme of The New Avengers on Paul O'Grady's Radio 2 show. That man really does fly the flag for all things Avengers. Hoorah for Paul!!