Thread: The Avengers

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Reports are coming in that Robert Fuest, one of the finest Avengers directors has sadly passed away. His Thorsen episodes are some of the best directed episodes of all.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

That's sad news. "My Wildest Dream" was a cracking Tara episode, and I always loved "The Tale of the Big Why" that he directed for The New Avengers too.

Rewatching Season 2 has made me appreciate the Cathy Gale era much more,she's certainly resourceful and I would argue more intelligent then Emma Peel and her spiky relationship with Steed is certainly a plus point,it's clear Honor Blackman enjoyed playing her.Sometimes the scripts can be a bit plodding but there's something about the black and white era that adds a certain atmosphere

She's also more interesting then Venus Smith,whom Steed seems to manipulate at every opportunity,when she doesn't burst into song midway through an episode!

I really enjoy Steed & Cathy's love/hate relationship too. She seems to display a more acute sense of justice than Emma. But then again the stories were more grounded in reality in this era - however there were still plenty of instances of quirkiness that made the programme unique and fun!

Okay Avengerphiles - which ep am I watching?

A very good question. I don't recognise it.

I'll kick myself when you reveal the answer, won't I?

Steed loses the girl, Steed gets the girl :-)

Half full, half empty! Of course!

I like my tea stirred anti-clockwise.

And three lumps!

Yes it's the Forget-Me-Knot, Emma's last outing. Bit of a lacklustre story actually. But then again, with everyone losing their memory and trying to work out who they are, the plot inevitably slows down. Still, Emma gets some cracking fight scenes, we see Mother for the first time (although sadly he never shares a scene with Emma) and of course, Tara (aka Agent 69!!), who sparkles in every frame.

Oh that final scene gets me on every viewing. Especially when Steed calls her Emma for the first time. Apparently After that scene Patrick went to his dressing room and cried :-(

And Emma's trousers are red. Very. Red.

Oh that final scene gets me on every viewing. Especially when Steed calls her Emma for the first time.
    Oh yes, I know what you mean. It's played extremely well and is touching without being cloying or OTT. It's a perfect end to Diana Rigg's time on the show and her smile as she drives off in the car with her husband is just gorgeous.

Who of course, looks just like Steed! I love that twist. Also loved the "new" orange end title sequence. Wish they'd kept that!

We watched Stay Tuned this evening. I don't think I've ever seen it before. What a fantastic episode it was too- a brainwashed Steed, Father and a team up between The Master and a the Rani 20 years early!

We watched it too, inspired by your lead. Really enjoyed it. A lovely plot, Kate O'Mara is gorgeous and Roger Delgado as well! Though he was criminally underused, he only had about 3 lines. Steed not being able to see the craft agent following him and then thinking he'd killed someone was quite eerie.

Si.

Just watched "Wish You Were Here". One of those stories where Steed is absent for most of it. I know I've said it before, but I really don't think the stories are as enjoyable when one of the main characters has a reduced role. How dare the actors take a holiday!

This is a silly but enjoyable episode as Tara goes off to a country hotel to rescue her Uncle, as it seems that the residents can never leave....

Mother moves about his office on what looks like giant weighing scales suspended from the ceiling. His nephew is chastised for calling him Uncle, not Mother, and Rhonda seems to answer a few phones even though she appears to be mute.

Welcome to the bonkers world of Avengerland

The Hidden Tiger - another classic. Ronnie Barker's performance was wonderfully bizarre, playing a cat lover who not so much drinks his milk, more like laps it up! Steed & Mrs Peel describing their respective cats (Emma & little John) is worth the price of the admission fee alone. The best line is reserved for Mrs Peel as she comments on the myriad of cats in the room - "pussies galore". And yes, she was in her cat suit :-)

We need a fresh recommendation for next weekend!

Si.

What are you in the mood for - Mrs Gale, Mrs Peel or Tara?

I haven't bought any of the box sets still, but if any forum can debate this topic, then it's trusted PS!
    Yes, The Doctor is a Time Lord, two hearts, regenerates 10 times... but stripped away from his background, how does he compare and in what ways is he similar to Steed?
    Steed is more conservative in his wardrobe of course!
    I know this all depends on the script, director etc, but which Doctor would you think work best with Steed? And which do you think would be worse?
    You can have more than two choices if you like.
    Is Steed more physically aggressive than the Doctor? Yes. OK, endthread.
    There's got to be more?
    OK, I'd like Clara to become the Doctor's "Tara King". I believe The Doctor had his "Mrs Peel" relationship almost with both Sarah Jane Smith and Rose.
    Mother. Sorry, but I think Colin Baker would look and act too mental next to that character.
    But if Steed is close to the Doctor, who was the Doctor's Cathy Gale?

I think Liz Shaw was the Doctor's Cathy Gale. Outwardly there was a certain coolness from Cathy/Liz to Steed/Doctor but deep down they trusted and liked each other.

We do Emma or Tara!

Si.

Thanks for the replies, and I was thinking the ninth Doctor would be perfect with Steed. Steed is all suited and the Doctor's in a leather jacket. So Steed would have an "Well if you're the future, I'm staying to the present!" angle to his interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    We do Emma or Tara!

Si.
    Try "Murdersville" for Emma and "Game" for Tara :-)

Away from the Cybernaunts, I've thought of a Doctor Who/Avengers crossover.
    Can you provide a list of Avengers episodes, where it could have been a front all along for an alien invasion, that was actually stopped by the Doctor?
    So it could be possible to fuse the Terror of The Zygons monsters and storylines at the end of Castle D'eath? See what I'm getting at?

PS: Butchering Avengers and Doctor Who episodes to fit some sort of reason?

Well put it this way, and feel free to go "Nonononono, Dino!", I feel the other way around, the only Doctor Who story that could have been an Avengers story is The War Machines.

So clearer now, what Avengers stories could easily morph into a Doctor Who story?

So it could be possible to fuse the Terror of The Zygons monsters and storylines at the end of Castle D'eath? See what I'm getting at?
    Since John Woodnutt is in both stories, that's a good one to choose!

Si- you should watch Castle De'Ath this weekend. That's a rather good episode...