Default Who would be YOUR Team Torchwood?

We still don't know if we're getting a series 4 of Torchwood, but just for the moment let's assume we are - certainly, if the only real 'stumbling block' was an uncertainty about how Children of Earth would perform, then I would imagine it's bound to happen. (Mind you, on the other hand, isn't RTD moving to America, so maybe it's not just down to viewing figures...)

Anyway, assuming there is, and bearing in mind that of the five original regulars currently adorning our PS banner, only two are still alive (and only one still presently on Earth!), who would YOU have as a season 4 Team Torchwood?

There's arguably plenty of candidates from Who & Torchwood itself, and even beyond that - and while we're playing the "What would you do?" game, over & above who would be in it, what would YOU like to see in a season 4?

So, in the words of Loyd Grossman, it's over to YOU!!!

I would bring in Cheryl Baker and Bobby G from "Bucks Fizz" who, it has been revealed, have been in "Torchwood 6" throughout the eighties, patroling the pop world for signs of alien infiltration.

Si.

Is Harry Sullivan still alive in the DW universe? If so, he'd be one of my candidates. Along with Mickey, Ace, Sharaz Jek and Lytton.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Gwen, Sally Sparrow, Nyssa, Commander Maxil and PC Andy (or Rhys)!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Looking at it seriously, I would say;

Gwen (Leader)
    Martha (Medical)
    Mickey (Computer)
    Lois (Investigative)

A smaller team perhaps, but one with enough established history with the first three to ensure the series remains popular.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    Looking at it seriously, I would say;

Gwen (Leader)
    Martha (Medical)
    Mickey (Computer)
    Lois (Investigative)

A smaller team perhaps, but one with enough established history with the first three to ensure the series remains popular.
    I concur with Paul.
    I think Gwen is the best Torchwood character anyway. Better than Jack. (although admittedly part of that is because Barrowman himself gets on my tits)
    Anyway, Gwen is a natural leader, & Mickey has long been a favourite character of mine, & would make an excellent addition. He's exactly the right sort of character. Even more so than Martha IMO. Although Martha & Lois have both been pretty good.
    Personally, i reject suggestions like Ace, Nyssa, & other classic series characters. It could easily get way too fanwanky, & to be honest, my only addition to Paul's suggestions would be to bring in one entirely new character, just to keep things a bit fresh, & perhaps add someone with a totally different dynamic, or new slant.

I'd definitely like to see Mickey in it, as I personally think he was the best NuWho family character, and probably the best actor too. As for Martha, I'm not sure. I liked her in Who, but not so much in Torchwood and further returns to Who. Time to leave her character be, imo.

PC Andy - no, definitely not.
    Gwen's husband (is it Rhys?) - yes, perhaps. Not really liked him in TW 1 & 2, but he really improved in CoE imo.
    Lois - she wasn't bad, but I fell a bit 'meh' about her joining full time.

And as Wayne suggested, a brand new character would be needed I think, maybe even two.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I'm thinking Torchwood was far too masculine. I'm thinking Torchbush:

Bridget Spears - The lady with the government contacts.
    Lois Habiba - The Plucky Youngster.
    Gwen Cooper - Old Hand.
    Johnson - Special Ops.
    Cyber-Tracy-Ann-Oberman - Providing the muscle and the heart of steel.

Go team Torchbush! Who needs Jack?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'm amazed nobody's suggested Mr Decker from Children of Earth - the fact that I thought he looked like Bob Holmes notwithstanding, it was a lovely performance, not showy but just very distinctive. Plus (as demonstrated in part 5 by his little chuckle at the thought of frying a kid to save the world) he's got a pragmatic, even dispassionate attitude which could give some good dramatic conflict.

Oddly, there were rumours about a year ago that they were going to write out all the regulars and semi-regulars apart from Gwen and Martha. Given that Freema Agyeman unexpectedly doing Law and Order instead caused them to change their plans, they don't seem to have been that far out.

If they have a character who is alien with a great deal of knowledge, or an alien expert, and make the character someone the team doesn't trust fully, it would give the team a good dynamic. After all, Torchwood will need a character with some of Jack's knowledge in it, but you wouldn't necessarily need them to be the person in charge. That would be one way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    If they have a character who is alien with a great deal of knowledge, or an alien expert, and make the character someone the team doesn't trust fully, it would give the team a good dynamic.
    A bit like Garak in Deep Space Nine?

My ideal future-Torchwood team...

Gwen Cooper (leader)
    Lady Christina de Souza (second in command, taking Gwen's old job)
    Dr Martha Jones (medical person, Owen replacement)
    Mickey Smith (techie, Tosh replacement)
    PC Andy Davidson (tea boy, Ianto replacement)

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Although Martha could fit into the Torchwood format, I think Mickey's character would really work. On Doctor Who he was always a bit comic-relief which was one of the things that made his character endearing. I wouldn't want him to lose that through working for Torchwood.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

When he walked off with Jack and Martha at the end of S4 I could have sworn he would be joining Torchwood.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Why mess with a classic ... Torchwood A ...

BA Baracus (muscle)
    Hannabel Lektor (brains)
    Howling Mad Murdock (erm ... )
    Face (charm?)

Quote Originally Posted by shada pavlova View Post
    When he walked off with Jack and Martha at the end of S4 I could have sworn he would be joining Torchwood.
    I think that may well have been the intention before S3 was shortened to 5 episodes?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Another possible addition to the team, from Doctor Who, who doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet......Martha's husband! He's a Doctor!

Hmmm,

Gwen Cooper
    Rose Tyler
    Christina de Souza
    Me

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick on this?
    A pot of coffee, 12 jammie dodgers and a fez...

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Curnow View Post
    Hmmm,

Gwen Cooper
    Rose Tyler
    Christina de Souza
    Me

Not so sure about your 4th option there, but otherwise.... Hey, sounds good!

More wood than torch there I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Curnow View Post
    Hmmm,

Gwen Cooper
    Rose Tyler
    Christina de Souza
    Me

You'll be alright until Captain 'Randy' Jack Harkness comes back from his deep space ore mining...

For a moment I thought that said, 'whore mining'!!

My perfect team would be the original, but for season 4, it would be Jack, Gwen, Martha, Mickey, maybe Rhys. PLEASE NO ANDY.